Can anyone tell me this snare pattern, and where the accents are?

02callum

Hi everyone, I've been struggling to figure this one out for a while.... specifically the snare pattern he is playing with each hand and where he places the accents for each. Be much appreciated if anyone can crack it!
It's 'Gimme back my wig' with Chris Layton on drums:

Nice, like a rockabilly shuffle.

The good news is you can do this one with just alternating sticking R L R L. The tricky part is that its a quick triplet feel and you must rely on your ability to dig those accents to make it dance right.

I would start playing the 1/4 notes with my right hand. Make sure they bounce, 1, 2, 3, 4. In this case at 225 bpm.
Then with my left hand I add the shuffle notes 1 ah 2 ah 3 ah 4 ah.

So now I'm playing all the shuffly 8th notes, just without the accents. When you are comfortable playing a quick shuffle between both hands you can add the two accents. The trick is to play them like a grace note followed by that powerful backbeat note.

Perhaps like this. The italics (ah) are the first accent, the bold (2,4) are the loudest notes, the actual backbeat. Non altered letters are notes with no added dynamic.

1 ah 2 ah 3 ah 4 ah 1 ah 2 ah 3 ah 4 ah. This pattern is still just R L R L R L R L R L R, etc.

You can remove accents as you wish to make it funky, but you must keep that quick triplet feel under control for this to feel so good like that.

No triplets in there, just slightly swung 8th notes.
Sounds like that’s what he meant by “triplet feel, “ though I suppose that might cause confusion in someone not familiar enough with the terminology.

Yep, shuffle 'train beat' with right handed backbeat on 2 & 4 (the usual).
Don't accent the first right hand. It's really heavy on 2 & 4 with the 16th note pick up (left hand).

I'd start off just playing the " ands ' with one hand ( in time ) and coming down on two and four with the other . Make sure your bass drum is guarding the one and three and the rest should be naturally occuring , the back and forth of your feet ( boom-chick)establishing the parameter of the individual phrases - a conversation between hands and feet .

Train can be a b-word to maintain through the entire song on time.
Use the hihat on alternating beats from the kick to hold your time.

Chris Layton rocks! Love his playing on everything he does.. although in the clip above he doesn't do too much other than a straight train beat. I use variations of train beats all the time.. they can really lock in a groove. Like this one:

Last edited:
Chris Layton rocks! Love his playing on everything he does.. although in the clip above he doesn't do too much other than a straight train beat. I use variations of train beats all the time.. they can really lock in a groove. Like this one:
Hi Moxman - this is NOT Chris Layton - but Billy Thomas - a cool drummer too... Tour drummer with Vince Gill - here Vince Gill singing Lay Down Sally - Crossroads Festival 2010.

A-535390-1233700434.jpg

Last edited:
Back