Left Side Floor Tom

Just curious, how did you decide on this setup?

Bruford comes to mind, Mangini too...also flashbacks of marching with quads.
In Bruford's autobiography, he wrote that he began using this setup to avoid descending tom fills and to find new fill patterns. That triggered my awareness that my fills were very repetitious, so I tried it out for a few years. The most difficult part was relearning where the hats were. I'd been playing them to my left for 50+ years and it was a hard habit to break. The setup also gave more room to work the SPD-SX sample pad. With the hats on my left, it was awkward and difficult to accurately strike the unit.

Where it came in very handy was when I used two snares plus the sample pad to the left of my main snare. That was a cool setup. Main snare: Tama SLP G-maple. Small snare: Tama 10" birch popcorn. Far left snare: Tama Star maple 15x8 tuned very low. The popcorn and 15" snare both had triggers. So did the bass drum. The sounds triggered were determined by the "kit" setting in the SPD-SX. I'd go back to this setup in a heartbeat if a band offered to use IEMs and backing tracks.

IMG_4029.JPG

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind trying it at some point, however I play a secondary 13" snare in that position which gets used a LOT.

I think the left of hat position is an under utilized spot for many folks.....

In Bruford's autobiography, he wrote that he began using this setup to avoid descending tom fills and to find new fill patterns. That triggered my awareness that my fills were very repetitious, so I tried it out for a few years. The most difficult part was relearning where the hats were. I'd been playing them to my left for 50+ years and it was a hard habit to break. The setup also gave more room to work the SPD-SX sample pad. With the hats on my left, it was awkward and difficult to accurately strike the unit.

Where it came in very handy was when I used two snares plus a sample pad to the left of my main snare. That was a cool setup. Main snare: Tama SLP G-maple. Small snare: Tama 10" birch popcorn. Far left snare: Tama Star maple 15x8 tuned very low. The popcorn and 15" snare both had triggers. So did the bass drum. The sounds triggered were determined by the "kit" setting in the SPD-SX. I'd go back to this setup in a heartbeat if a band offered to use IEMs and backing tracks.

View attachment 132585
Very cool setup...looks like fun for sure! :)

I forgot to mention Danny Carey too...which I imagine is another Brufordism but his rig necessitates the electronic rig he has. I recall the entry in the BB bio.

I'm not seeing a compelling good reason to use one.

For those of you who like it, what can I do with a LH floor tom that I can't do with my right?

What's the killer app(s)?

For those of you who like it, what can I do with a LH floor tom that I can't do with my right?

For me, it:

1. Allows a second set of hats in the center, and

2. Keeps me more focused on playing the beat instead of doing fills.

20230406_191256.jpg

It's not about what I can do with it. It's about having the important stuff directly in front of me.

I guess for me, I like it for accenting single paradiddles.

It's just kinda nice to play them in a SORT OF open handed fashion.

I personally don't really like having a kit that is too right side bias.......even though I'm a RH player.

I guess it doesn't really give you a very convincing argument boss.....but it also helps with balance if I've got both pedals going and I don't have to lean forward into the toms going into a fill.

I think cbphotos' concept of a remote hi hat would give the LH floor tom a bit more of a functional capacity as it'd be closer to the snare.

It also tidies up what's directly in front of me.

But ultimately it's a really good question......and hard to justify why I have one 🤔🤔

Last edited:

For jamming and squirreling around, there’s no reason to have it. But for intentional notes in a tune, where only a left hand can play it ‘cuz the right hand is tied up doing something else, the left-side tom works.

I have tried it. Honestly, I often got tangled up on the hihat when trying to get my right hand over there, so I didn't use it a lot. For interesting orchestrations, it can be cool, but for my uses I'd rather have it on the right.
My thoughts exactly... except, I tried it and really liked it, but had to put it away because of my hats getting in the way (which are pretty high and far away to begin with), seemingly, no matter where I placed the floor tom or the hats.

That means it's time for a remote cable hat!

View attachment 132584

I'll bet @Al Strange is admiring those pretty stick marks! They're scattered all over the heads 'cuz I like starry nights.
I doubt I would ever switch to this type of setup, but from the first time I saw it, I've thought it to be the most practical and sensible setup for a drummer.

It looks badass!

(reference:)

The main reasons for me is not having to play a drum that's behind you, especially if you have a 16 and 18 which puts it pretty far back, and of course the different orchestrations with the left hand. Playing around the hihat takes some getting used to and I find myself playing the left floor tom with the left hand mostly. When having a second floor tom on the right, I rarely used it, but on the left I use it all the time. It balances me out🤪 so everything isn't on the right.

The main reasons for me is not having to play a drum that's behind you, especially if you have a 16 and 18 which puts it pretty far back, and of course the different orchestrations with the left hand. Playing around the hihat takes some getting used to and I find myself playing the left floor tom with the left hand mostly. When having a second floor tom on the right, I rarely used it, but on the left I use it all the time. It balances me out🤪 so everything isn't on the right.
I have decided to give this a try for the same reason. I have been playing 1 up 2 down for the last couple of years and I just feel like my 16 in FT hardly ever gets used because it is difficult for me to strike it accurately and precisely. It is also difficult to to triplets and intricate tom grooves that incorporate the 16. So, I am losing my aux snare and moving the 14 to my left and also adding my 10 in rack tom back to the kit as well. There's been several songs I have learned recently that I have found myself really missing that high tom. And, if I'm being honest, I just kinda like to switch it up every year or so. I find it spurs creativity and new patterns/stackings for fills.

Here's last Saturday Night's Mapex Mars Rock Kit with a left side floor tom. I love it. Since I've been playing with it for a while, it's never going back to the right.
Rocket - 7810651687207889 - frame at 2m35s.jpg

Back