Our sub drummer brought a weird set

JimmyM

Diamond Member
Had a 25 year old sub drummer on our gig Saturday who brought a Tama Starclassic bop kit with a 16 inch floor tom tuned pretty high placed on the floor with no ramp, and he just sat his pedal in front of it. Didn’t adjust the beater or anything…it hit about 3 inches away from the hoop, which was a standard diecast tom hoop.

But that wasn’t as weird as the snare…a Pearl Morgan Rose sig:1676789431858.jpeg
Dude played his ass off, though. He’s a hardcore jazz guy and doesn’t even like Sevendust ;). It’s wacky but it sounds really good. I would have liked him to use a lower pitch on the kick, but he played it really well.

I’m going to have to try the foot tom thing when I get a chance. I’ll pass on the Morgan Rose snare ;) but since steel snares are usually low priced, I might pick one up in the NF.

You will be shocked how dang fast little bass drums can go! I just tried one last week. Before that I had played on little bass drums but with ported reso and ultra slack batter- like pillows. But yeah, I get why ripper players dig them

You will be shocked how dang fast little bass drums can go!
I use one (16×14") for double kick for this exact reason. Stuffed with laundry it gives plenty of attack, and the thing has tons of rebound.

It does sit on a riser however, about 4" or so off the ground.

Probably very similar to the Pearl Chad Smith Sig. steel snare that I have. If you want a more traditional look (no alien green finish), check those out.
Ya,that's what he said...same basic thing but with 8 lugs on the Chad. If I got a Pearl steel, though, it would be the Ian Paice sig. I like the depth.

......same basic thing but with 8 lugs on the Chad.
Nope, Chad's a 10 lug also.
If I got a Pearl steel, though, it would be the Ian Paice sig. I like the depth.
That's a real nice one. I've also got a vintage Tama Royalstar (steel) ..... and honestly, it's got very. very similar tone, as the Chad. Chad certainly looks nicer;) And since it was given to me for "services rendered" ..... can't really beat the price. The Royalstar was $200 (for a 5 piece kit), so I figure $100 for the snare & $100 for the toms/bass.

I once used a drummer in my band who showed up with a Whitney set. They just looked amazingly strange but sounded good. Not for me though.

Nope, Chad's a 10 lug also.

That's a real nice one. I've also got a vintage Tama Royalstar (steel) ..... and honestly, it's got very. very similar tone, as the Chad. Chad certainly looks nicer;) And since it was given to me for "services rendered" ..... can't really beat the price. The Royalstar was $200 (for a 5 piece kit), so I figure $100 for the snare & $100 for the toms/bass.
Whoops…I knew I should’ve looked it up before I said that.

And honestly, I’m so cheap that I may just look for one of those ancient 70s steels. Have to get a couple bass things first.

Whoops…I knew I should’ve looked it up before I said that.

And honestly, I’m so cheap that I may just look for one of those ancient 70s steels. Have to get a couple bass things first.
The Tama metal works black on black steel snares sound great and can be had very cheap, I got my 10" for a little over $100 and you can get a 14" for well under $200 at most shops.

I regularly use my old 16” Pearl tom for a bass drum, but no way could I just set a pedal in front of it and go. How is that possible? Aside from the beater weirdness, the drum would have almost no contact with the floor… nothing to stop it from sliding around. I want to know more.

Had a 25 year old sub drummer on our gig Saturday who brought a Tama Starclassic bop kit with a 16 inch floor tom tuned pretty high placed on the floor with no ramp, and he just sat his pedal in front of it. Didn’t adjust the beater or anything…it hit about 3 inches away from the hoop, which was a standard diecast tom hoop.

But that wasn’t as weird as the snare…a Pearl Morgan Rose sig:View attachment 130765
Dude played his ass off, though. He’s a hardcore jazz guy and doesn’t even like Sevendust ;). It’s wacky but it sounds really good. I would have liked him to use a lower pitch on the kick, but he played it really well.

I’m going to have to try the foot tom thing when I get a chance. I’ll pass on the Morgan Rose snare ;) but since steel snares are usually low priced, I might pick one up in the NF.

I love SEVENDUST !!! I’m sorta friendly and acquainted with the guys and text /call Morgan occasionally for some drum advice especially when trying to nail down some of his parts . All of them are fantastic , friendly , down to earth guys and overall great human beings and put on an amazing show every single time !!!
Been looking to pick up one of his sig snares for awhile but they’re always way over priced. Don get me wrong it’s a decent metal snare and obviously unique in appearance but I’ve seen em listed on reverb for 3-6 hundred 😳. But then always wind up selling at $200. They were blowing these out at 89-99 bucks near end of and after production ceased.

I more so wanted to pick one up for the novelty and to freak him out next time we get together 😂. And….. who couldn’t use another metal snare , especially with aliens on it 🤷🏻‍♂️😂. The alien heads glow in the dark too !
If your sub ever wants to unload it at a fair price , just let me know 👍🏼

Recent show this past summer……

71293418-ADB2-4604-B7DB-8D8F735203BE.jpeg
EA3F2EA3-FE0E-44EC-875E-3E2BB893D005.jpeg20FB8369-F8E3-4110-8D3A-D0FE7CFF5B32.jpeg

I regularly use my old 16” Pearl tom for a bass drum, but no way could I just set a pedal in front of it and go. How is that possible? Aside from the beater weirdness, the drum would have almost no contact with the floor… nothing to stop it from sliding around. I want to know more.
He used a rug, and the pedal had either velcro or spikes to hold it. It didn't move. I did see him move the tom closer a couple times, though. But he wasn't playing with a heavy foot since we're not a heavy foot type band.

I once used a drummer in my band who showed up with a Whitney set. They just looked amazingly strange but sounded good. Not for me though.

I owned two Whitney Nesting Penguin kits - to this day they are some of the finest sounding and lightest weight drums I have ever owned . I wish I had kept my original Nesting 16 kit with the wood hoops . It was sold to help finance the purchase of another kit that ended up not being as nice sounding as the Whitney .A123E8A6-FEA5-41FA-A57E-D843D7C8E295.jpegBD3E7840-95CB-4D88-B724-D500DAC77E10.jpeg

Well I tried the foot tom thing on my Ludwig tom, and maybe it’s the Ambassadors, maybe it’s the tuning and lack of mufflers, but I hated it. My Remo practice pad makes a better bass drum ;)

I love SEVENDUST !!! I’m sorta friendly and acquainted with the guys and text /call Morgan occasionally for some drum advice especially when trying to nail down some of his parts . All of them are fantastic , friendly , down to earth guys and overall great human beings and put on an amazing show every single time !!!
Been looking to pick up one of his sig snares for awhile but they’re always way over priced. Don get me wrong it’s a decent metal snare and obviously unique in appearance but I’ve seen em listed on reverb for 3-6 hundred 😳. But then always wind up selling at $200. They were blowing these out at 89-99 bucks near end of and after production ceased.

I more so wanted to pick one up for the novelty and to freak him out next time we get together 😂. And….. who couldn’t use another metal snare , especially with aliens on it 🤷🏻‍♂️😂. The alien heads glow in the dark too !
If your sub ever wants to unload it at a fair price , just let me know 👍🏼

Recent show this past summer……

View attachment 130808
View attachment 130809View attachment 130810
Sevendust is a very cool band…Lajon is a very underrated singer and Morgan is brutal.

Back