Suggestions for headset mic?

Mike7300

Hi - I recently tried the AKG 520 and although it’s built well it did not isolate the sound of the drums from the vocals. Any others you would recommend that work better for sound isolation?

The best that is out there in terms of isolation is a Crown CM311. But even that will pick up loud snare hits.

The best that is out there in terms of isolation is a Crown CM311. But even that will pick up loud snare hits.
Never tried the crown, but I have tried several and could never find one that I was happy with. Still use a 57 to this day.

How much “not as good”? 🤪

btw … a lot of how much any vocal mic is gonna pickup/reject the drums depends on how close to a back wall you are.

If you're looking for Shure SM57-type performance, you should try the Shure WH20 dynamic headset microphone. It's wired so you have have a regular-sized XLR connection and it's dynamic so you don't need phantom power for it. It acts and sounds like a headword SM57. And they're on Amazon for $80. Can't go wrong with this one. I have two (one for a backup) and the cool thing is is that it doesn't sound too different from what the rest of the band is using (usually SM58's). Whenever I use a condenser headset mic, it's always a little brighter than everybody else and I have to apply some EQ to make it match everybody else. You won't have to do that with the WH20.

If you're looking for Shure SM57-type performance, you should try the Shure WH20 dynamic headset microphone. It's wired so you have have a regular-sized XLR connection and it's dynamic so you don't need phantom power for it. It acts and sounds like a headword SM57. And they're on Amazon for $80. Can't go wrong with this one. I have two (one for a backup) and the cool thing is is that it doesn't sound too different from what the rest of the band is using (usually SM58's). Whenever I use a condenser headset mic, it's always a little brighter than everybody else and I have to apply some EQ to make it match everybody else. You won't have to do that with the WH20.
Agree with this. Just got the Shure WH20 and it’s great!

Back