New Ludwig!

The kits in the lower row of the image posted appear to be a rebranded Centennial line, similar to the new Universal metal snare series replacing the former Black Magic line.

I defer to Bermuda.

He may be under a NDA, but the cat's out of the bag now. :ROFLMAO:

They didn't tell me squat about this new line! 😮

Being an insider ain't what it used to be...

However, the Australian rep is coming to our Melbourne show March, I'll try and get some info. :)

Ludwig seems a bit of an anomaly to me. At least compared to Gretsch. Gretsch has terrifically successful lower end models like Catalina. Then a step up to Renown. Both made in Asia. I don't think Ludwig has anything like these two models both in the vast number of finishes and configurations available, or in market acceptance. Catalina and Renown are home runs and have been for years. The place Ludwig shines is in that next tier - Classic Maple. A staple in the marketplace one of most successful models of any manufacturer. You could say the industry standard at that price point. Gretsch has Brooklyns around that price point but Ludwig owns that market. Seems Ludwig always trying to better penetrate that market just below Classic Maple the market dominated by Gretsch and Tama. Neusonic? Centennial? That kit you had to assemble I forgot the name? Accent? Questlove? Others? That's all the space Gretsch owns with Catalina and to some extent Renown. Tama, too, with Superstar lineup. I should probably throw in Yamaha and Pearl with their kits in this lower market segment, too. They have large % of that market, too. All those finishes from Tama and Gretsch and Pearl and Yamaha. The sizzle. They all own that space, which is the space that dominates sales because it's a lower price point. I'm guessing new Ludwig line is yet another attempt to better penetrate that market.

Ludwig seems a bit of an anomaly to me. At least compared to Gretsch. Gretsch has terrifically successful lower end models like Catalina. Then a step up to Renown. Both made in Asia. I don't think Ludwig has anything like these two models both in the vast number of finishes and configurations available, or in market acceptance. Catalina and Renown are home runs and have been for years. The place Ludwig shines is in that next tier - Classic Maple. A staple in the marketplace one of most successful models of any manufacturer. You could say the industry standard at that price point. Gretsch has Brooklyns around that price point but Ludwig owns that market. Seems Ludwig always trying to better penetrate that market just below Classic Maple the market dominated by Gretsch and Tama. Neusonic? Centennial? That kit you had to assemble I forgot the name? Accent? Questlove? Others? That's all the space Gretsch owns with Catalina and to some extent Renown. Tama, too, with Superstar lineup. I should probably throw in Yamaha and Pearl with their kits in this lower market segment, too. They have large % of that market, too. All those finishes from Tama and Gretsch and Pearl and Yamaha. The sizzle. They all own that space, which is the space that dominates sales because it's a lower price point. I'm guessing new Ludwig line is yet another attempt to better penetrate that market.
You make some good observations about Ludwig's lower line of drum kits. I do, however, think Ludwig does quite well in their lower end with their snare line-up, such as the Supralite and Universal series. They have some excellent offerings in these two lines.

Ludwig has constantly stumbled in the entry to intermediate tier for a very long time. Their lower end sets have no identity because they're constantly re-inventing and quickly discontinuing them. Rocker, Accent, Epic...there's probably a few more that have come and gone in the last 20 years that I can't remember off the top of my head because they don't stick around long enough to make an impact.

I really don't understand why that is.

IMO, they ought to just bring back the Standard line with the same general concept. Top-tier shells with unique hardware and finishes.

I completely agree with this. Lack of focus and commitment on the lower end imports.
IMO, they need to establish a niche, develop and promote it, and stick with it until it until it has a firmly established identity and following.

Yamaha did it with the Stage Customs - you hear Yam. Stage, and you think low cost, good sounding birch.
Gretsch Catalina, Tama Superstar, and others out there too.

I'd like to see Ludwig do that with the current cherry/maple blend Neusonics.
They'd probably need yet another name for them though.
Make them available as 5 pc. 20/10/12/14/14snare
and 22/10/12/16/14 snare (or 22/12/13/16). Bigger Bonzo type sets work, as well as smaller bop size kits.
The current Pocket kit, Accent, Breakbeat, Evolution, and Neusonic could all be consolidated into one line
with the same shell makeup, offered in sizes and configurations from mini to maxi.
(That'd be a huge gamble though).

I think most people looking for a lower cost import set, probably their first, aren't going to be so hot for a 3 pc. set.
Make add-ons readily available so you can build a set to your ideas.
Most important though would be to stick with it and not drop it like a hot potato if it isn't an immediate smash hit.
Ideally, when someone would think "Ludwig (new name)" import, great sounding cherry/maple blend shells would be the first thought.

Last edited:
I think Pearl learned a big lesson when they discontinued the Export line. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but the drum-buying public obviously voted with their wallets and wanted a set of drums with a solid reputation, not the newest, latest thing no one had heard of. Which is why Export came back pretty quickly.

With Ludwig, I like the idea of resurrecting the Rocker or Standard name. But what they need is, as wildbill said perfectly, focus and commitment. I would never buy or recommend one of Ludwig's import kits. because I don't trust them to keep providing support and add-ons.

Maybe these new drums are going to buck that trend and Ludwig will have some long-term plans for them.

....With Ludwig, I like the idea of resurrecting the Rocker or Standard name. ....

I don't think Rockers and Standards were imports though.
I think Rockers eventually were imports, but then the reputation went down too.
I wouldn't use those names for imported drums.
Re-introducing the concept/construction of them under a different name would be OK.

But what would make them stand out from the crowd then?
What would be their unique identifying feature?

Last edited:
I don’t know for sure, but Ludwig doesn’t seem to be hurting ;).

This place that has them for sale says: "Shell: North American Maple 7 ply"

• 45,360.00 ฿ is about $1,360. So these would compete with the DW Design and Yamaha Tour Maples, sorta.

I've been following this thread and what is most interesting: Ludwig USA has zero mention of any of these lines. It has all been overseas links. I find myself wondering what that's all about.

I don't think Rockers and Standards were imports though.
I think Rockers eventually were imports, but then the reputation went down too.
I wouldn't use those names for imported drums.
Re-introducing the concept/construction of them under a different name would be OK.

But what would make them stand out from the crowd then?
What would be their unique identifying feature?

No, they weren't imports originally, though as you mention Rocker was eventually.

My thought was Ludwig should go with a name that actually has some history/brand recognition for the company and I don't really have an issue with Ludwig using those names on an import kit even though the original Standards and Rockers were not. Much like how Tama seems to have no problem using the Superstar and Imperialstar names on their entry and mid-level kits today.

I'm not even sure Ludwig really has to do anything all that unique beyond having a reliable and clear product line. Other than finishes most every other company's offerings in the $500 and $1000 drumset category are fairly interchangeable. I'm not expecting Ludwig to try to suddenly offer a "best in class" kit, it's just so sad that they don't seem to be interested in offering any serious competition at all.

No, they weren't imports originally, though as you mention Rocker was eventually.

My thought was Ludwig should go with a name that actually has some history/brand recognition for the company and I don't really have an issue with Ludwig using those names on an import kit even though the original Standards and Rockers were not. Much like how Tama seems to have no problem using the Superstar and Imperialstar names on their entry and mid-level kits today.

I'm not even sure Ludwig really has to do anything all that unique beyond having a reliable and clear product line. Other than finishes most every other company's offerings in the $500 and $1000 drumset category are fairly interchangeable. I'm not expecting Ludwig to try to suddenly offer a "best in class" kit, it's just so sad that they don't seem to be interested in offering any serious competition at all.
What about Neusonics? A tad more expensive than a grand but They’re pretty darn good. Maple/cherry ;)

What about Neusonics? A tad more expensive than a grand but They’re pretty darn good. Maple/cherry ;)
I heard that guy who plays for Weird Al actually gigs those drums they're so nice.

They look familiar- there really is nothing new under the Sun. Now if it was a K star that might not apply.

Back