Dammit, Trixon...

Does Trixon mean ugly in some language other than English?
😂
Ya know , looking at that thing has me wondering it could actually be useful if it ( and I guess it could with spurs on each side) could could serve double duty as two bass drums in one ? Like 18 one side and 20 on the other or 20/22 etc… etc…..

I’m sure it probably wouldn’t have the same sound as an actual 18, 20, 22……

But could be useful in not owning say 3 bass drums and or kits for different scenarios?

Maybe not 🤷🏻‍♂️. But it just got the wheels turning a little 🤔

Trixon marketing meeting :
Drums that have been sat upon.....

Being serious for a minute, they are freekin' cool shells - who cares what kind of tone wood they are made of and the type of tom mount, they are striking. If I played in a surf band, I would totally own a set.

Last edited:
The whole idea behind the Trixon Speedfire bass drum was to give the drummer two tonal options in one drum. You were supposed to play them with two pedals. They were a failure then, and it puzzles me why Vox recently reissued them. IMHO, they are ludicrous. I wouldn't be seen with one., especially in that ugly silver Croco finish.

Drummers are generally a conservative lot and always have been. We want round drums that look like drums, not empty spool threads, pairs of shorts, square boxes, fishbowls, or trumpet bells.

The comment about the oval Ludwig bass drums was meant as a jab. After The Beatles hit big, Ludwig was making drums 24 hours a day and spitting them out quickly. As a result, their quality started to suffer in that period 1964-66. Not all of them were bad, of course, but there were definite QC issues.

Last edited:
The whole idea behind the Trixon Speedfire bass drum was to give the drummer two tonal options in one drum. You were supposed to play them with two pedals. They were a failure then, and it puzzles me why Vox recently reissued them. IMHO, they are ludicrous. I wouldn't be seen with one., especially in that ugly silver Croco finish.

Drummers are generally a conservative lot and always have been. We want round drums that look like drums, not empty spool threads, pairs of shorts, square boxes, or trumpet bells.

The comment about the oval Ludwig bass drums was meant as a jab. After The Beatles hit big, Ludwig was making drums 24 hours a day and spitting them out quickly. As a result, their quality started to suffer in that period 1964-66. Not all of them were bad, of course, but there were definite QC issues.
Same happened at Martin guitars when folk singers got hot in the mid 60s early 70s They were cranking them out and placing bridges in the wrong spot. Ours is a '71 000-18 and that year they placed the pick guard without sealing the wood underneath and the finish was applied after.

Drummers are generally a conservative lot and always have been. We want round drums that look like drums, not empty spool threads, pairs of shorts, square boxes, or trumpet bells.

Speak for yourself about the conservative nature, bro 😉. I like my VOX kit and aesthetically it looks great for what I use it for, and it’s good to know I can also use it for other things when I nice fuller bass drum sound without it being much taller than a tiny 18” bass drum. Being part of this Vox club is cool - everywhere I take the drum, it always gets a double-take. And in this business, I need people looking twice! I figure I’m never gonna be better than Vinnie or Steve so the “normal” drumset doesn’t really work for me.

Attachments

• 480EE71D-EE1B-47C4-BBBE-F1C22DECBABD.jpeg
    480EE71D-EE1B-47C4-BBBE-F1C22DECBABD.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
Truth is, most drummers are conservative by nature. You aren't, and that's fine. :D

Drummers are generally a conservative lot and always have been. We want round drums that look like drums, not empty spool threads,

This comment smells like Peavey Radial Pros.

Never played the Peavy but have heard that they sound fantastic. A few YouTube videos confirm this.

Yup, I owned a set for about a week. I found it in a local pawn shop, bought it, fixed it up, sold it in a week for a $300 profit. It sounded great, but I HATED those post mounts for the suspended floor toms. I should have kept the snare though. It was fantastic. The set even had the coveted 8" tom. I don't miss it though.

I bought a new economy class drum kit a few months ago. I noticed that this is the age of experimentation by the drum companies. They are experimenting with all sorts of materials and sizes and there are so many choices out there. What I did not see was any change to the standard shape of a drum that is a round cylinder.

Usually the people who embrace radical changes are younger drummers. Most of these younger drummers buy economy class drum kits at lower prices. I did not see any odd shaped drum kit in the economy class drum kits. This means that even younger drummers have not embraced odd shaped drum kits. So, as far as I can see, for now the drum shape embraced by young and old is staying as it has been for centuries - a round cylinder.

Back