1967 Ludwig 5x14 LM-400 Supraphonic Snare Drum

Pianoman2023

I'm posting this thread because many drummers aren't aware of the various models of the chrome plated Supraphonic snare drum by Ludwig. Mine was a 1967 LM-400 model but back then the LM-400 snare was chrome plated BRONZE. This metal provided for a steadier constant deeper sound than the current LM-400 that is chrome plated ALUMINUM. My snare,therefore, had far less over-ring sound than the chrome plated Aluminum model (the current LM-400). Ludwig today offers the LM-402 model that is chrome plated BRASS in the 5x14 size. This metal material also, like the chrome plated BRONZE model I owned, has a steadier flat sounding tone with far less over-ring than the chrome plated Aluminum model (the current LM-400). Note: When I record drums I put a thin shirt or towel over the snare head to get a crisp snare sound that Ringo Starr used on the later Beatles albums such as The White Album & Abbey Road and I usually use a Shure SM-57 mic.

Last edited:
I own a 1967 Supraphonic, and I assure you that it's aluminum, way too light, and a scratch test reveals aluminum under the chrome, which is still immaculate. I was checking to see if it was brass. Never knew them to be bronze, though. Bronze Black Beauties were made of course.

My 1967 Supraphonic was chrome plated Bronze I assure you. I've researched all the Ludwig catalogs going back to the early 1900s. In 1967 Ludwig also made a chrome plated Brass Supraphonic in the 5x14 size but you would have to specifically know which model to order to get one back then.

In 1967 you could order the Supraphonic Ludwig snare in 3 material configurations: Chrome plated Aluminum, Chrome plated Bronze, & Chrome plated Brass. You would just have to use the right model number to get the exact snare drum you wanted. Mine was chrome plated Bronze. I sold it to Guitar Center in 2013. They put it on the floor at $589.00 (used).

Ludwig today offers the LM-402 model that is chrome plated BRASS in the 5x14 size.
The current LM-402 Supraphonic snare made by Ludwig is chrome plated Brass in several sizes.
Screenshots taken from Ludwig-Drums.com and notsomoderndrummer.com several minutes prior to this reply:

1674859290168.png

1674859713118.png

It is widely known that the Supraphonic was first made of brass, then aluminum:
1674860310950.png

1674860437215.png

1674860627257.png

1674860747015.png

No mention of bronze being an option on a Supra prior to 1994. Lawrence is humble enough to state he's "not the world's foremost authority on vintage drums", but he IS a very knowledgeable and respected one. Maybe @bermuda can shed some light...?

There were bronze supras in the early-mid '80s. :)

It is widely known that the Supraphonic was first made of brass, then aluminum:
It was known as the Super, although some of those brass shells leaked over into the start of the Supraphonic line and are prized snares.

You guys realize we're talking to a piano man here don't you,😁😁😁 Sorry I couldn't help myself. Carry on

Thanks for the ear worm.

Didn't even realize the Supra was aluminium 'til now. I picked up two for $50 each, but 1 is pitted.
Well that's twice as good as mine I only got 1 for 50 bucks at a pawn shop. The Chrome was flaking off of it but I don't care it's a great drum. Mine still has the letter ludalloy sticker on the inside barely attached and barely legible It's a pointed blue and all of badge I think it's from the late seventies.

Well that's twice as good as mine I only got 1 for 50 bucks at a pawn shop. The Chrome was flaking off of it but I don't care it's a great drum. Mine still has the letter ludalloy sticker on the inside barely attached and barely legible It's a pointed blue and all of badge I think it's from the late seventies.

Each 1 was 50 bucks. The pitted one has that blue sticker in good shape. It's a 1.7 mil serial. The nice one, I didn't check for it. It's a 2 mil serial.

I recently sold my 1967 LM-400 and it was definitely a Ludaloy shell . P83 strainer , baseball bat muffler.

Back