Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 on Netflix

Yep I watched it. Twice. It seems you just can't recapture the magic of the original. The newer generation is too angry and entitled. Plus the organizers were at fault for such ill planning and disregard for the patrons sanitation, health and well being. A runway and tarmac can be brutal in the Summer.

Inept "security" and the local police were no match for the size of the crowd and scale of law breaking.
The plug should've been pulled Saturday evening. Gates closed.

This was my generation that torched Woodstock '99. There was a weird shift in who attended concerts then, and I still don't get it. Attendees became more of a "party crowd" as opposed to a "music crowd," and I still see this today in some of the venues I play. I remember reading an interview with Scott Weiland from probably 25 years ago where he said that the people in the crowd had shifted from kids who loved music to the kinds of kids that used to beat him up in high school. I have no defense for that crowd.

The other two points you make are very true as well. The organizers were aloof and the setting was horrible. Combine this with the weather and price gouging, it was a ticking timebomb. Just watching it, I started to get a sinking feeling in my gut by the time they got to Saturday afternoon. I knew what was going to happen, but I just wanted to tell all those kids to get in their cars and go home.

Overall, I think they did a great job documenting the whole thing, and I'm glad they did. It was a loss for everyone except for the musicians themselves as they were shipped in and out via limo.

Just watching it, I started to get a sinking feeling in my gut by the time they got to Saturday afternoon. I knew what was going to happen, but I just wanted to tell all those kids to get in their cars and go home.
I remember watching a documentary on The Donner Party many years ago. And every time a segment would end with a statement like "a wheel broke, and they were forced to make camp early, losing precious daylight. They were now 3 days behind schedule," I'd get that sinking feeling and want to yell, "no! You HAVE to find a way to keep going!" even, obviously, knowing (roughly) what was going to happen.

I had the same feeling watching this documentary.

Seriously though, there was A LOT of angst in my generation there in the 1990s. I guess a generation can only stand "You suck at everything, your music sucks, and you're stupid" for so long. I'd say that my fellow Gen X'ers seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. We've mellowed out quite a bit, but we can still kick someone in the teeth when necessary and when it's called for.

This was my generation that torched Woodstock '99. There was a weird shift in who attended concerts then, and I still don't get it. Attendees became more of a "party crowd" as opposed to a "music crowd," and I still see this today in some of the venues I play. I remember reading an interview with Scott Weiland from probably 25 years ago where he said that the people in the crowd had shifted from kids who loved music to the kinds of kids that used to beat him up in high school. I have no defense for that crowd.

The other two points you make are very true as well. The organizers were aloof and the setting was horrible. Combine this with the weather and price gouging, it was a ticking timebomb. Just watching it, I started to get a sinking feeling in my gut by the time they got to Saturday afternoon. I knew what was going to happen, but I just wanted to tell all those kids to get in their cars and go home.

Overall, I think they did a great job documenting the whole thing, and I'm glad they did. It was a loss for everyone except for the musicians themselves as they were shipped in and out via limo.
And after baking all day, there was a rave/EDM party in a hangar. That’s where some bad mojo went down.

Seriously though, there was A LOT of angst in my generation there in the 1990s. I guess a generation can only stand "You suck at everything, your music sucks, and you're stupid" for so long. I'd say that my fellow Gen X'ers seem to be doing pretty good for themselves. We've mellowed out quite a bit, but we can still kick someone in the teeth when necessary and when it's called for.
I've seen Hippies beat up Bikers it happens in every generation.. 50's and 60's probably the worst.. that old man shuffling down the street was once the baddest ass mother you ever met. I bet.

I've seen Hippies beat up Bikers it happens in every generation.. 50's and 60's probably the worst.. that old man shuffling down the street was once the baddest ass mother you ever met. I bet.
This is correct . Ex green beret peacenik long hairs from Nam were/are full of surprises . Fearless , make Charlie Manson look like Austin Powers .

Last edited:
I would have liked to have seen more about the aftermath. The day after. Who cleared up the mess, were any arrests made, were promotors prosecuted, total costs or money made. It’s very rare that I think a Netflix docu is too short..

I have absolutely ZERO need or want to attend anything that big. (Just started watching it...can't sleep)

I think it probably depends on the genre of music. I’d attend a good country music festival that size, but I’m not camping at shows anymore.

I forget all the names, but, after watching that, there seems to have been only one voice of reason...the guy they all refused to listen to.
The others kept repeatedly insisting there were "minor issues" involving "a few offenders". (Bad Apples?)

That is what happens in EVERY horror movie ever...AND in real life!

Some folks will just never close the beach.

Back