How..do you play your hats..generally

and just in Dave... I'm missing a glove. Freaking me out. That means I'm down from 23 pairs (thin brown cotton type- sometimes I double them- work gloves all the same)... to 22.5.
Can't figure it out going to be another one of those days. I think I can get over it as time passes.

Last edited:
update: Great News! at 7:35 pm est I found my glove! (it was a double one inside the other) Somehow it had fallen in between my (empty except for drum heads) 4 cymbal bags I don't know what I was doing in there.
"Man that was close!" "Persistence Persistence Persistence Never Give up!"

With electronic kit I play mostly with the shoulder. The hi-hats are typically mixed very low on stock kits. On my new module it's been much better, so no need anymore.
With acoustic kits I play with the tip, only giving it an open whack for accents. The hi-hats sound very loud acoustically to me. It will probably sound well-balanced out front.

If all you've got are sticks and a pedal I can donate one well-busted cymbal if you can cover the postage.
Actually there's 2.

1)
001.JPG

That was a wall hanger at a famous club in town. So it has pedigree. and

2)

002.JPG

Frankly I'm partial to 2

003.JPG

Because it bore me a splash.
but 1) for the postage
and 2) may need a little extra (for sentimental reasons)

Last edited:
On a hi hat stand.
Like everybody else?..how boring 😊..a guy Jon pohl on YouTube playing a couple different Paiste 17s inspired by a favorite Steve Jordan. They sound quite good..at least the way he plays them with the perfect amount of foot pressure to really make them lush sounding yet with Paistes georgous cut. Not sound edge cut just a very almost pretty sound on 17s?..yup.

Out of curiosity..have any of you considered sound edge (crinkled edge) type hats strictly for volume when you need it?. Not to become 👹 monster hat guy..just for those times when you need or want a touch of nitrous at some point with less arm power...like power steering in a way.

Out of curiosity..have any of you considered sound edge (crinkled edge) type hats strictly for volume when you need it?. Not to become 👹 monster hat guy..just for those times when you need or want a touch of nitrous at some point with less arm power...like power steering in a way.
No.

I'd have to believe the ripples made them louder for that to be a consideration.

It depends what sound im going for.

It depends on the song and the dynamics involved with each song. For quieter playing, I use the tip most of the time, but if I'm laying into the cymbals, like I do on Beatles tunes with that Ringo-style sideways back & forth motion, I use the shoulder.

And I also do the same when it comes to how tight or loose the cymbals are. I tend to prefer a sloshy, open sound out of the hats when I'm wailing, but a tight, closed sound for softer stuff. It also depends on how loud the band is playing. It all comes down to dynamics.

Back