Renowns/heads

J.D.

Where my Renown people at? Love the Emperors they came with. Just curious if anyone tried other heads on them. Why, and how did it work out? Mine may never leave my house, so I was *thinking* about Pinstripes to cut down some resonance.

I've played 3 sets. One had coated emperors, one had clear emperors, and the third had remo coated ambassadors. All the three sounded great!

I played 3 sets of skins on my former Renown :
Pinstripe : sounded like pinstripe, rather round sound. Too tubby for me.
Clear G1 : too much ring and clingy sound, Coated G1 : sounded perfect. I kept it this way.

LOL...drummers. "Round, clingy, tubby"

I use G2's on other drums. Only experience with G1 isa snare, and the head lasted about a week. Sounded good though.

Another vote for coated. I use an Evans G2 on my 16" floor tom and a G1 on my 12" rack tom. Clear resos on the bottom. My floor tom sounds AMAZING! - never had a better sounding one. Still working on the 12" - I'd like it a little bigger/rounder sounding and haven't figured that out yet.

I recently replaced the stock Emperors with Vintage Ambassadors and I really like them. They sound a bit less modern and slightly more vintage with the coated heads. It's a great combo, if you ask me.

I own two sets of Renowns. I'm using smooth white emperors on my main kit (kind of sounds like the love child of a coated emperor and clear emperor if they had a baby), and coated ambassadors on my jazz kit.

So, tuned high = coated ambassadors
Tuned med to low = smooth white emperors

I recently replaced the stock Emperors with Vintage Ambassadors and I really like them. They sound a bit less modern and slightly more vintage with the coated heads. It's a great combo, if you ask me.
Well...I kinda *was* asking you. ;)

I own two sets of Renowns. I'm using smooth white emperors on my main kit (kind of sounds like the love child of a coated emperor and clear emperor if they had a baby), and coated ambassadors on my jazz kit.

So, tuned high = coated ambassadors
Tuned med to low = smooth white emperors
Huh. Never heard of the smooth. So many choices.

I replaced my RN2 Renown batters with Remo Skyntones, and I absolutely love the warm tone and soft attack of the calfskin lookalikes.

I replaced my RN2 Renown batters with Remo Skyntones, and I absolutely love the warm tone and soft attack of the calfskin lookalikes.
I was tempted to do the same but I'm not completely in love with the look of the Skyntones. I figured that Vintage Ambassadors would get me at least partway there, sound-wise. I may still try the Skyntones.

Back