How to Practise Technique - Video Discussion

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi all,

I just released this video discussing the concept of practising technique specifically:

As a younger drummer, I spent a of time trying to improve my technique, held under the (likely mistaken) belief that I would be a great musician solely in virtue of developing good technique.

These days, I focus primarily on application, and learn technique in a pragmatic way, as I learn how to apply the language I am working on.

This was prompted by discussions I had with students recently. One student in particular was very keen to improve his "snare chops", and wanted some particular exercises. In the lesson, I focused primarily on the interpretation of various accent patterns, applying various rudimental concepts to the same underlying accent pattern. He took to it really well, but still asked about exercises, and it to me thinking about their place in our practice sessions.

What do you think? Do you practise technique specifically? Do you teach your students raw technique, or do you go via the repertoire?

I'm really interested in people's thoughts on this. My thoughts are in the video, obviously.

Thanks,
Jonathan

After getting to the double stroke section, well, I do see where you're coming from and I think there's a kernel of truth to what you're saying, but I also fundamentally disagree. The extent of my disagreement depends on who this is aimed at. If it's aimed at beginners, then sure, the main goal there is to stop them from doing anything terribly wrong. If it's aimed at advanced players however, my disagreement is very strong. Also, is this aimed at concert snare or drumset? That also makes a difference. I'm going to assume it's aimed at both, but reply from a drumset perspective.

The part I most disagree with the most is the "conceptual framework." Yes, there's a kernel of truth there. A good conceptual makes a huge difference. But constructing a framework that is close to optimal is incredibly difficult. You make it sound straightforward like "pay attention to your hands and make adjustments, and get a good teacher." That's good advice for a beginner, but potentially ruinous for an intermediate.

The thing about your hands is that whatever you're used to feels natural, and whatever you aren't feels unnatural, regardless of whether some approach is superior or inferior.

And the thing about teachers few of have anything approaching anything like optimal hand technique. And even the ones who do can be biased and short sighted. Take Buddy's infamous "the drumset way," or the ubiquitous "balance point" rule on fulcrum placement (which also has a kernel of truth, but taken as gospel can be hugely destructive).

So let's take Keith Carlock who can play world class double strokes with his left hand in traditional with the fulcrum about as far back as it can go (in other words, further back than is even possible in matched), with his right hand playing an overhand grip with a generally far forward fulcrum. Note that he doesn't play this way all the time, sometimes his left fulcrum is further forward, and sometimes his right fulcrum is further back, but generally his hands are significantly mismatched. It's obviously not anywhere close to the optimal way to play doubles, yet Carlock has stellar facility playing doubles around the kit.

So how did this happen? Well, the reason for his mismatched hands likely isn't to play doubles better, but for other things, like getting a stronger backbeat with the left hand. I'd be willing to bet that Carlock could move his left fulcrum way forward and the right way back and he'd still be banging out killer doubles. I'd also be willing to bet that Carlock can bang out killer doubles in push/pull, pure fingers, wrists, pretty much whatever he feels like.

I'm willing to make these bets because playing on a single static surface is one thing, while facility around the kit is quite another. I think that Carlock, aside from doing a ton of exercises, has mastered most if not all of the variations of double strokes either through explicitly practicing the micro aspects where he found himself wanting, or that over a long period of time he was forced to develop these aspects by the sheer amount of time he has devoted to, as well as the sheer difficulty of, the types of fills he plays around the kit. Probably a bit of both. The thing is that, like you said in your video there are a lot of variations to playing doubles. To play doubles the way Carlock does you need to cast a wide net. If you focus too much on "deep" and not enough on "wide" when it comes to hand technique, the drumset will invariably find some way to ruin your day.

If I had to summarize what I think the best way to practice is, it look something like:
  • Practice whatever you run into that you can't do (or do well), and actively seek these things. Not just on a macro level, but on a micro level too.
  • Don't practice any one thing for too long. Your body needs time to internalize your learning. You'll want to put in a lot of time if you want to improve quickly, but you want to practice a lot of things in small chunks rather than a few things in large chunks.
  • After you learn something new, set a goal to take it to 11 (eg. the way mortals play doubles versus the way a guy like Carlock does).
    • Eventually, you will hit a wall. Eventually, you will be able to intuit what hitting a wall feels like, and then what being on a wall hitting trajectory feels like. When you find yourself in this position, start experimenting.
      • This is where you need to look for weaknesses on a micro level.
      • When you experiment, do research and find the traditional wisdom, but don't take it as gospel.
      • Also look at skilled players who are less orthodox, and don't be afraid to come up with your own ideas. Treat everything with skepticism until you prove it.
      • Don't abandon one technique to learn another. If you do so, the new technique will always seem better. To know the strengths and weaknesses of both techniques, both must be appropriately developed.
        • When two techniques are unequally developed, playing very slow and focusing on mechanics and ergonomics can help even the playing field.

Am I already qualified for this thread despite being only a Drum student yet? I’m not sure.

When I started playing drums all I had was a practice pad and sticks, so I spent 1,5 years only on hand technique and also when I re-started at June in 2021 I just had a pad and sticks only for 2 more months.

Now since I have drum kits and take lessons continuously I only know like four rudiments but I play them regularly as warm up on practice days, in my drum lessons they are a little piece of the cake but Groove and independence exercises are the most of it. But despite that advanced techniques are focused on such as Moeller Technique.

This week I had a different teacher due to my actual being on tour. He wasn’t prepared at all and so I spent the lesson with singles, doubles, triplets and paradiddle, he told me that he’d focus on it when teaching. Well, that’s being said he is a metal drummer.

Sometimes I feel like technique gets in the way of hitting drums. It is necessary, but only a very minor part of playing this instrument.

Technique is just how we use stuff. That's it. We give a name to it for ease of communicating. Some of it, like the grips, arent even techniques. They are just grips. No usage there.

I dont feel we practice technique, rather learn it. Then we practice patterns, utilizing said technique. That technique eventually smooths itself out the more you use it, but it isnt actually the technique you are practicing, rather the pattern.

Learn a new pattern and watch how your perfect technique now suddenly sucks. It's not the technique.

EDIT: I just reread this and my last 2 sentences sound snarky. It wasnt meant that way, the you is generalized, not aimed specifically at anyone, definitely not @Jonathan Curtis.

Example: Everyone can do singles with either foot. Doesnt mean they can do even double kick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your comments everyone.

@Jeff Graw , I'm not sure we do disagree. I know you specified my conceptual framework as the part you didn't like, but that forms part of a larger process that I feel you then go on to describe.

Essentially, I outline the following:

1. The process comprises three parts, and is circular: understanding -> technical execution -> application -> (increased) understanding etc.
2. Technique doesn't happen in a vacuum. You need the conceptual understanding. This in turn aids the technical execution, which in turn aids (and is aided by) the application.
3. These process continue and support each other.

Your point about Keith Carlock actually supports my points, I think. He has rock solid understanding of the "technique", which allows him to play doubles in many different ways (conceptual understanding). Aided by this understanding, he practised the minutiae in myriad ways, as you suggested (technical execution), and he applied this around the drums using his own drum kit vocabulary, which both further aided, and was aided by, his understanding and technical execution. This process cycled around and around until he was a complete master of double strokes.

This is essentially the process I describe in my video. Can I ask, did you watch the whole thing? I know it's long, but your comment suggested that you may have stopped watching at the double stroke section. I go on to describe that all three parts are important and must continue through our own development. We can't abandon improving our understanding, we can't abandon the technical practice, but we must continue to apply the technique as well.

Technique is kinda like raising kids.

You try to reinforce all the things like correct manners, attitudes, values and you try to be a good role model etc when they are lil' ones....

But at some point, you've gotta let them go to live their own lives.

I think at some point technique needs to be let go of and you need to live your life with actually playing music and smiling because you are in the moment.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't separate drum set from marching drumming from orchestral drumming....

you need a good, defined technique to do all three, and at least for me, that is not a different technique for each. I use the same basic foundational way of motion to play in all of those situations. I make modifications for volume, or speed, but it is rooted in the same movement

and I spend a lot of time making my technique better/more flexible etc. I have no "twitch" muscles, so all of my speed etc. is from muscle groups working well together.

I am also probably in the minority in that I definitely feel technique is usually the number one roadblock to good interpretation of feel and style. It doesn't matter what your ears or instincts are telling you, if your hands can't execute the patterns, you will seem "wrong" or clunky. I have dealt with this asa teacher for 30+ years.

Usually the first question I get from older self taught players is : " how come I can't play xxxxx part?" It is usually because they have very poor movement technique, or sitting technique, or foot technique. We fix the physical issue, and then the mental stuff just drains out

I might be in the minority here, but I don't separate drum set from marching drumming from orchestral drumming....

you need a good, defined technique to do all three, and at least for me, that is not a different technique for each. I use the same basic foundational way of motion to play in all of those situations. I make modifications for volume, or speed, but it is rooted in the same movement

and I spend a lot of time making my technique better/more flexible etc. I have no "twitch" muscles, so all of my speed etc. is from muscle groups working well together.

I am also probably in the minority in that I definitely feel technique is usually the number one roadblock to good interpretation of feel and style. It doesn't matter what your ears or instincts are telling you, if your hands can't execute the patterns, you will seem "wrong" or clunky. I have dealt with this asa teacher for 30+ years.

Usually the first question I get from older self taught players is : " how come I can't play xxxxx part?" It is usually because they have very poor movement technique, or sitting technique, or foot technique. We fix the physical issue, and then the mental stuff just drains out

Well said, I couldn't agree more, especially with the part I've put in bold.

Let me ask you, do you find with the older self-taught players you mentioned, that they all have similar bad habits or miss the same sorts of things within their own techniques? In my experience with such students, it almost always comes down to some kind of weakness and misunderstanding of the fulcrum, which is probably why I make such a big deal of it in these videos that I produce.

Well said, I couldn't agree more, especially with the part I've put in bold.

Let me ask you, do you find with the older self-taught players you mentioned, that they all have similar bad habits or miss the same sorts of things within their own techniques? In my experience with such students, it almost always comes down to some kind of weakness and misunderstanding of the fulcrum, which is probably why I make such a big deal of it in these videos that I produce.

for me, the most common technique issues I have to deal with are;
1. the thumb/index finger fulcrum area <--- usually not tight enough, and is causing an angled slice that really gets in the way of a lot of things; or causes loss of the stick, or hitting the rim when going to play fills
2. not using the wrist/forearm muscles in the best ergonomic way, again, causing weird angles and approaches that "get in the way" of successful playing

also, often times I will find out through pictures, or going to their gigs, that their actual set up is part of the problem....and it is sort of a snowball effect....the bad set up causing bad technique adjustments and/or bad technique forcing a bad set up situation. I really find a lot of bad ride cymbal placements that cause a lot of problems

so yeah...it is the same thing!!!

Drumming is not nearly as hard as you make it out to be.
Awesome, Alex! haha

I must admit–I haven't watched all of the video in this thread or even read through all of the longer posts, so I can't comment on them specifically.

Still...I love this brief post that you offered to all of us. It's not only humorous in its blunt contrast to the rest of the thread, but it also highlights the profound truth that there is power in simplicity. Someone once said, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Bingo.

This is something that I myself am in the process of working on. As a person who has sometimes been overly verbose and complicated with explanations (including in this very post), I sincerely appreciate the lightning bolt of wisdom that you injected here. Very funny...and very helpful.

Awesome, Alex! haha

I must admit–I haven't watched all of the video in this thread or even read through all of the longer posts, so I can't comment on them specifically.

Still...I love this brief post that you offered to all of us. It's not only humorous in its blunt contrast to the rest of the thread, but it also highlights the profound truth that there is power in simplicity. Someone once said, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Bingo.

This is something that I myself am in the process of working on. As a person who has sometimes been overly verbose and complicated with explanations (including in this very post), I sincerely appreciate the lightning bolt of wisdom that you injected here. Very funny...and very helpful.

just to play "Devils Advocate"

I have heard that "simplicity is an excuse to keep your head in the sand...." as a reference to the fear of having to do work to get better at something. I think an old hockey coach or mountain biking friend said that one time, but it stuck.

I think - as with everything else - you have to find a good balance of both

just to play "Devils Advocate"

I have heard that "simplicity is an excuse to keep your head in the sand...." as a reference to the fear of having to do work to get better at something. I think an old hockey coach or mountain biking friend said that one time, but it stuck.

I think - as with everything else - you have to find a good balance of both
Yeah, I agree there's a balance.

By the way, I probably should have clarified...

When it comes to the topic at hand (drumming), I wasn't necessarily talking about "simplicity" in terms of the actual playing. I was talking about simplicity in terms of explaining. What I mean is...when a master drummer finds a way to explain and communicate the essential truths in a simple and concise manner, that is a special kind of brilliance. One of my teachers, Jim Chapin, had a touch of that. His famous video is actually a bit on the complex side, but in real life, his teaching had a different flavor. It was simple and humorous and made you feel like what he was saying was obvious (even though you had never actually thought of it before). His presentation was geared toward adults but was almost simple enough for a child to grasp.

Like I said, I consider that to be a special kind of brilliance. It's certainly something that I personally see as a worthy goal.

Yeah, I agree there's a balance.

By the way, I probably should have clarified...

When it comes to the topic at hand (drumming), I wasn't necessarily talking about "simplicity" in terms of the actual playing. I was talking about simplicity in terms of explaining. What I mean is...when a master drummer finds a way to explain and communicate the essential truths in a simple and concise manner, that is a special kind of brilliance. One of my teachers, Jim Chapin, had a touch of that. His famous video is actually a bit on the complex side, but in real life, his teaching had a different flavor. It was simple and humorous and made you feel like what he was saying was obvious (even though you had never actually thought of it before). His presentation was geared toward adults but was almost simple enough for a child to grasp.

Like I said, I consider that to be a special kind of brilliance. It's certainly something that I personally see as a worthy goal.

oh yeah...that is the best!! I think Steve Smith, Peter Erskine, and many of the drum corps gods that I have studied with hit me with that kind of brilliance a lot. It always frustrated me b/c I am like: "man...that was so easy to see. Why couldn't I see it first?"

It makes me want to carry aound a small frying pan to whack myself in the head when the moment happens...for that cartoonish "ding!!!" sound

Most of my students are beginners.

I do introduce a routine. Basically, the Lifetime Warm-up Basic that is then slowly elaborated on with the rest or my own ideas. Many ways you can do this as a group to increase the benefit.

We certainly talk about focus on what were doing. I just frame it as always being aware that you're making music and never just go on auto pilot. Guitar players and bass players can somewhat suffer from a similar thing, though not useless in every case, but when I get on my saxophone there's not really any way to do that. Even the simplest thing requires too much effort.

Mindless conditioning isn't completely worthless, just don't look at it as real practice other than getting in a new movement or "sport."

When it comes to real practice it is based on what the real goal of me or the student in question is. I may go through some things, but I quickly move into improvising with those tools and then the whole thing is to recognize where it doesn't flow and zero in on that.

I don't practice much orchestral stuff these days, but when I sit down behind the kit I always have a musical framework to work within. It's not really much different from me learning a new harmonic concept that I use on my other instruments and make that part of what I do. It's now part of my vocabulary and it should be something I can call on naturally in any situation.

Transitions in general are important as that's usually where most of the challenge is for most in most cases. Still a type of flow issue and analyzing that in detail will also grow general skills to make that easier and easier as a whole.

Last edited:
I did about 6 minutes while I was on my break. I would say that plenty of drummers figure out rudiments without an in depth knowledge, they can definitely play them correctly if only by accident and so it’s a bit of a blanket statement, but in my case your comment is true, I am someone that developed bad technique through ignorance, or having the wrong ideas and like you I spent many hours watching tommy and jojo and bill and still did it wrong. Having not worked deliberately on technique in over a year but playing lots of gigs, my hands turned a corner and some things that I have long known but not applied fell into place, and yes I think that may be in part because I had an idea about how they should be operating. Some of that improvement did happen mindlessly and through the sheer experience of having to perform beyond my comfort zone.

Drumming is not nearly as hard as you make it out to be.
If someone seems to be overthinking, consider the possibility that their thought process is just different from yours. Some of us are just more analytical, and more verbal. I'm not an intuitive guy, so I can watch something over and over and not pick it up. I don't "get it". But then someone breaks it down and articulates it in detail, and the light bulb turns on. To borrow a phrase from Arthur C. Clarke, I like to think that I'm not stupid, I'm just slow.
...I definitely feel technique is usually the number one roadblock to good interpretation of feel and style.
After I'd been playing for years, I hit a brick wall that I couldn't get past until I went back to the most basic things, like how to hold a stick.

Its interesting i am a new drummer and i having started with the single stroke and now on to the double stroke roll , it is quite hard its like you have to drop the stick with just the force of your hand and let the sticks bounce back up, For the double stroke roll i have been working on its starts like a single stroke where you let it drop and bounce up then with the fingers that are around the stick you move them up and it brings the stick down, not sure if there is a name for it don't think its the drop and catch .

Its interesting i am a new drummer and i having started with the single stroke and now on to the double stroke roll , it is quite hard its like you have to drop the stick with just the force of your hand and let the sticks bounce back up, For the double stroke roll i have been working on its starts like a single stroke where you let it drop and bounce up then with the fingers that are around the stick you move them up and it brings the stick down, not sure if there is a name for it don't think its the drop and catch .
Are you taking lessons or just figuring it out?

Its more like a snap than a drop. You definitely want to help motivate and direct the stick downward, but not plow it through the head. The applied downward force is directly responsible for the rebound*. The faster the stick comes back up, the quicker you can put it back down again.

*For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction. In this case, it's the stick. The more energy you put into it on it's way down (action), the more energy it comes back up with (equal but opposite reaction).

Back