New snare!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
370FB349-0DDD-499A-9485-757383C7B2C2.jpeg
I’m happy to say I found a new B-stock supra to go with my silver sparkle Ludwigs! For the price, I think I’ll just stay with these. Ludwigs always seem to hold their value so as time goes on, the prices just go up. Looking at the used market, people are asking insanely high prices for vintage Ludwig stuff, and collectors seem to think that a Supra from the 70s is worth $1100 or more (I found this new B-stock one for under $480).
I was happy to use my DW Collectors NOB with the Ludwig kit but it was lacking a serious vibe. So glad I found this Supra. The new strainer Ludwig uses is also an improvement on the old P-85 - it doesn’t loosen up while playing! Not sure if I can handle not readjusting the snare tension while playing 😉370FB349-0DDD-499A-9485-757383C7B2C2.jpeg

I am so on the fence about keeping my 402. I want to love it, but I never can seem to find a huge wow factor about it, and it sounds nearly identical to my copper snare that I prefer.

These are the most sensitive snares I've ever used though, and I love that about it. Maybe I need to spend more time with it. Good job on finding a good priced one. My black beauty is B stock and I can't find a single thing wrong with it.

Reactions: I-P
I am so on the fence about keeping my 402. I want to love it, but I never can seem to find a huge wow factor about it, and it sounds nearly identical to my copper snare that I prefer.

These are the most sensitive snares I've ever used though, and I love that about it. Maybe I need to spend more time with it. Good job on finding a good priced one. My black beauty is B stock and I can't find a single thing wrong with it.
My entire early career from 1984 til around 2011 centered on a well-cared for Supra and I learned to coax everything I needed out of that one drum. Then I was led astray for a bit by Pearl and DW stuff. So now I’m back with this Ludwig a little wiser. It especially helps to realize that my job is to be the phat backbeat, which negates using anything super fancy when you know you’re paid to shine on “Mustang Sally”. I’d probably feel a little guilty with a $900 Rogers DynaSonic pumping out 2&4 with it 😉

Selling your LM402 would be a mistake imho. Supraphonics beat the pants off every other snare out there in terms of sound quality. (with very very few exceptions) I know that's a big statement but I will die on that hill! ;)

You should spend more time with it. Play around with the tuning or try different heads, there's no reason you can't make it sound perfect for your needs.

Selling your LM402 would be a mistake imho. Supraphonics beat the pants off every other snare out there in terms of sound quality. (with very very few exceptions) I know that's a big statement but I will die on that hill! ;)

You should spend more time with it. Play around with the tuning or try different heads, there's no reason you can't make it sound perfect for your needs.
We had this discussion already with him, and his mind seems made up that it doesn’t agree with him. Happens.

As a long time lover of the 6.5 Supraphonic and who only just recently pulled the trigger for a brand new (A stock/Keystone badge model). I love the thing so far.
Admittedly, I have only experimented with a Remo Coated Ambassador batter with stock Reso. I almost NEVER muffle my drums. No matter the tuning range I put the thing in, it shines and performs. I'm a little smitten with it. That coming from a person like me, who hates marketing BS. This drum though...... Pharking love it.

All the best for you, on this purchase. The B stock is sonic-wise the same as A Stock from what I can tell, (ascetic blemishes only).
Nice score and a stellar price. 👍😁

Last edited:
Sit back for a minute..gaze at your newly acquired 2/4 💣 or any other time sig in rock history and bask in the warmth of just how many rock hits (memories) were played on that drum from When the levee breaks..to Roundabout and of course Highway star 😃 and the endless list that follows with that same drum now sitting behind your silver sparkle musical bomb pile driving Ludwig kit. That drum is the ruffled white shirt that was needed to complete your musical tuxedo. Welcome to greatness. 😊.

• Like!!
Sit back for a minute..gaze at your newly acquired 2/4 💣 or any other time sig in rock history and bask in the warmth of just how many rock hits (memories) were played on that drum from When the levee breaks..to Roundabout and of course Highway star 😃 and the endless list that follows with that same drum now sitting behind your silver sparkle musical bomb pile driving Ludwig kit. That drum is the ruffled white shirt that was needed to complete your musical tuxedo. Welcome to greatness. 😊.
The 6.5" Supraphonic is a legendary rock drum for sure. But what makes it even better is that it also works for vastly different genres like.........jazz. How crazy is that? The versatility is incredible.

I've even played the 6.5" Supraphonic in a symphony orchestra. It fits perfectly in that setting as well.

I think perhaps one of the reasons the Supraphonic gets overlooked sometimes is because it doesn't have the flashiest, most up-to-date hardware, or appearance. But none of that matters to the sound!

Back