What's your latest purchase?

Decided to bite the bullet and get a double pedal to go with my new Tama Walnut/Birch kit . I have a new band project that will involve some double bass work . My local shop gave me a killer deal on this limited edition black Tama Speed Cobra double pedal . I am really impressed with this pedal, very smooth and quick . The added bonus of the hard case is a nice touch by Tama View attachment 128460
Sweep the leg.

My budget doesn't permit me to buy gear as often as I'd like, but I always have enough to get the little upgrades that I need, as I need them.
Sometimes I come to a crossroad where I absolutely must get a certain piece of gear to continue the journey. When my stylistic journeys finally brought me to the realm of metalcore I knew I had to upgrade a few things.

The first thing I had to do was get a bass trigger for my V-Drums that was big enough it could accommodate some wide-set beaters. My current double pedal was old and wobbly, and not very photogenic for videos. So the first thing I did was get a larger size Roland bass trigger (KD-85) and a decent Pearl Redline double kick pedal to go with it.
I don't mind buying things gently used, and so I got the kick pad from Japan, and the Redline from France! (Ebay and Reverb, no issues)

Redline & KD-85.jpg
Pearl Redline & KD-85

My acoustic drum kit also needed a bit of "heavy metal treatment". The one snare drum on my acoustic kit was a basic Pearl Masters "all maple" I bought ten years ago at Guitar Center. It's a nice warm drum, with decent sensitivity for jazzy snare work. It also cuts and rings well enough for funk and hiphop stuff.
But one thing I learned very quickly recording metalcore music on my V-kit, the snare drum sound has to be extra bold and cutting even just to hold its own in a chugging distorted heavy metal mix.
Even on my V-kit where I have some control to shape the snare drum sound, there are only two voices I dare use for heavy metal, the rest just get swallowed up and drowned out, even just by the sound of the persistent double bass kicks. Let alone chugging rhythm guitar and screaming guttural vocals.

So with this in mind I decided to go with a metal-shell snare drum for my acoustic kit. I figured steel would do the trick, given that I'm not expecting this drum to be terribly versatile, and I need something I know will have significant cutting power. But I ended up going with a brass Sensitone "Heritage" snare from Pearl, just in case a steel one might be "too hot/rude" for a starting place. My new snare arrived today and I can already tell that it's going to be a pretty good fit.

It doesn't sound like I "want" it to sound. Of course the sound in my head was unrealistically polished and probably more versatile than I can expect from a basic brass drum. However, when playing metalcore style beats, with chopping trash stack and thundering double kick, yessir the brass snare has a "throat" to it that I can feel cutting through the mix. It's not as cutting or even as "ringing" as I hoped it would be, but boy it's got something extra that the maple snare just doesn't have. It's like an internal explosive "pop" whenever I dig deep into the brass drum. This is exactly the kind of characteristic needed to make the snare drum feel authoritative in a metal mix.
Definitely the maple snare is more sensitive for ghosting and such. The ghost notes on the brass drum are present, but sound more "lo-fi" like there's just less information in the sound. Whereas the maple drum really kind of shines with delicate, fast, silky notes, the brass just kind of 'coughs', lol. To be fair, I haven't had time to explore the actual range of this new drum. This is just my impression from a quick tightening of the heads and some thoughtful groove experiments.

So now that I know what the brass sounds like, I think I can confidently pick up a Heritage steel snare and be able to use it happily, just for those moments when I need some serious cutting metal. FWIW, I got the Sensitone brass drum from ProAudioStar. They do indeed sell brand new items in a factory box, at "used" prices. So +1 for that company if you need a discount but all the used reverb stuff is scuffed and overpriced.

SensitoneBrass.png
Pearl Sensitone Heritage Brass

And finally, some further treatment to make my acoustic kit sound more metalcore. I bought a pair of hard wood bass beaters, and if that's not enough to get the thing clicking, I got a set of kicker stickers to add articulation to my double bass licks. The one in the photo has a plastic-like disc in the strike zone. And there's another one I ordered that uses aluminum, for a really really clicky kick.

MetalKit.jpg
Kick Drum Kit by Danmar

Last edited:
My budget doesn't permit me to buy gear as often as I'd like, but I always have enough to get the little upgrades that I need, as I need them.
Sometimes I come to a crossroad where I absolutely must get a certain piece of gear to continue the journey. When my stylistic journeys finally brought me to the realm of metalcore I knew I had to upgrade a few things.

The first thing I had to do was get a bass trigger for my V-Drums that was big enough it could accommodate some wide-set beaters. My current double pedal was old and wobbly, and not very photogenic for videos. So the first thing I did was get a larger size Roland bass trigger (KD-85) and a decent Pearl Redline double kick pedal to go with it.
I don't mind buying things gently used, and so I got the kick pad from Japan, and the Redline from France! (Ebay and Reverb, no issues)

View attachment 128533
Pearl Redline & KD-85

My acoustic drum kit also needed a bit of "heavy metal treatment". The one snare drum on my acoustic kit was a basic Pearl Masters "all maple" I bought ten years ago at Guitar Center. It's a nice warm drum, with decent sensitivity for jazzy snare work. It also cuts and rings well enough for funk and hiphop stuff.
But one thing I learned very quickly recording metalcore music on my V-kit, the snare drum sound has to be extra bold and cutting even just to hold its own in a chugging distorted heavy metal mix.
Even on my V-kit where I have some control to shape the snare drum sound, there are only two voices I dare use for heavy metal, the rest just get swallowed up and drowned out, even just by the sound of the persistent double bass kicks. Let alone chugging rhythm guitar and screaming guttural vocals.

So with this in mind I decided to go with a metal-shell snare drum for my acoustic kit. I figured steel would do the trick, given that I'm not expecting this drum to be terribly versatile, and I need something I know will have significant cutting power. But I ended up going with a brass Sensitone "Heritage" snare from Pearl, just in case a steel one might be "too hot/rude" for a starting place. My new snare arrived today and I can already tell that it's going to be a pretty good fit.

It doesn't sound like I "want" it to sound. Of course the sound in my head was unrealistically polished and probably more versatile than I can expect from a basic brass drum. However, when playing metalcore style beats, with chopping trash stack and thundering double kick, yessir the brass snare has a "throat" to it that I can feel cutting through the mix. It's not as cutting or even as "ringing" as I hoped it would be, but boy it's got something extra that the maple snare just doesn't have. It's like an internal explosive "pop" whenever I dig deep into the brass drum. This is exactly the kind of characteristic needed to make the snare drum feel authoritative in a metal mix.
Definitely the maple snare is more sensitive for ghosting and such. The ghost notes on the brass drum are present, but sound more "lo-fi" like there's just less information in the sound. Whereas the maple drum really kind of shines with delicate, fast, silky notes, the brass just kind of 'coughs', lol. To be fair, I haven't had time to explore the actual range of this new drum. This is just my impression from a quick tightening of the heads and some thoughtful groove experiments.

So now that I know what the brass sounds like, I think I can confidently pick up a Heritage steel snare and be able to use it happily, just for those moments when I need some serious cutting metal. FWIW, I got the Sensitone brass drum from ProAudioStar. They do indeed sell brand new items in a factory box, at "used" prices. So +1 for that company if you need a discount but all the used reverb stuff is scuffed and overpriced.

View attachment 128541
Pearl Sensitone Heritage Brass

And finally, some further treatment to make my acoustic kit sound more metalcore. I bought a pair of hard wood bass beaters, and if that's not enough to get the thing clicking, I got a set of kicker stickers to add articulation to my double bass licks. The one in the photo has a plastic-like disc in the strike zone. And there's another one I ordered that uses aluminum, for a really really clicky kick.

View attachment 128542
Kick Drum Kit by Danmar

Just curious, what size is your acoustic kick? I ask because I found the metal Danmar patches to be too much for 22" kicks, and sound better on 24" kicks. There's just too much click which kills the low end in a live setting setting. Between the trigger and the plastic beater patches you should be good to go. ...of course YMMV.

If I could justify it, I'd totally get a Grace, but alas, I ended up with a Dangerous Monitor ST. Just ordered it. Should be here Friday.
I’ve used a Dangerous Source for the last 10 years or so and am very happy with it. I think they make great products.

The final three DT50S triggers arrived completing my Make Quiet Drumming Fun Again campaign. :)
1672259384837.jpeg
1672259503171.jpeg
And now for the 101 questions about all the different trigger settings. lol!
So far, I plugged them in and did a quick trigger assignment and setup, then played for about 40 minutes. While the EAD10 and dB One heads made a huge difference over the previous mic and SuperPad setup, these triggers bring life back to drums. Attack and some of the nuances were still missing, but the triggers are definitely sensitive enough to bring most of that forward again. Liking the EAD more each day.:cool:

The final three DT50S triggers arrived completing my Make Quiet Drumming Fun Again campaign. :)
View attachment 128582
View attachment 128583
So far, I plugged them in and did a quick trigger assignment and setup, then played for about 40 minutes. While the EAD10 and dB One heads made a huge difference over the previous mic and SuperPad setup, these triggers bring life back to drums. Attack and some of the nuances were still missing, but the triggers are definitely sensitive enough to bring most of that forward again. Liking the EAD more each day.:cool:
Love your whole setup buddy... Enjoy! Red is my favorite color.

View attachment 128582
View attachment 128583

Unfortunately there are no trigger settings that work for everyone. It's a trial and error thing, unless there's someone else on here using an EAD to do what you're doing to get you the ballpark.

I reduced my snare collection down to just 1… a Benny greb 2.0 brass however I’ve been really wanting to add a wood shell back in my kit and something deeper than the BG.

So I’m giving this George Way Aristocrat Acacia 14x7 snare a go. First impressions are that it’s pretty damn beautiful and is exactly that fat deep snare sound I was looking for. Gonna try for another few days and decide if it’s a keeper.

B998118A-CEEC-4D84-AEDD-2ED09F5E8C5C.jpegE45E4DD3-BBDE-4738-9884-7DCB05FA6A6B.jpeg15A08803-BAEA-447A-91B1-CC55A5820FCB.jpegD8F8E07E-D60D-4BE8-9377-0A4B5ED8C273.jpeg33293402-B864-4007-AD81-CC35204984E0.jpeg

I reduced my snare collection down to just 1… a Benny greb 2.0 brass however I’ve been really wanting to add a wood shell back in my kit and something deeper than the BG.

So I’m giving this George Way Aristocrat Acacia 14x7 snare a go. First impressions are that it’s pretty damn beautiful and is exactly that fat deep snare sound I was looking for. Gonna try for another few days and decide if it’s a keeper.

View attachment 128584View attachment 128585View attachment 128586View attachment 128587View attachment 128588
That's one Beauty! I hope it's everything you needed to be. Let us know if it's a keeper or a sleeper. I noticed that it had the black grosgrain ribbon... did that come with it?

I just finished putting red ribbon on my Supra.20221228_145023.jpg20221219_164429.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool!!! How are you hooking that many triggers up to the EAD10? Y cable splitters?
The A side of the EAD module can be split into two using a Y cable. I found out the mics go through the B channel, so A doesn't have to be connected at all. It's split into a DT50K for the Kick and DT50S for the rack tom. DT50S on snare is running with both channels 3 and 4 for snare and rim. And two more DT50S triggers on the two FTs.

I may split the snare channel (3 &$) into two and plug the first FT Trigger into that channel as channel 3 for FT and Channel 4 for cowbell, or clap, block or some other effect, then using channel 5 (currently the first FT) and reassigning it as a snare for a single channel. Don't do much with the rim and the EAD mics pick up side sticks just fine, so that would work well.

I could have used the EAD's builtin kick trigger as one side of the Y splitter and skipped the DT50K, but I'm going to play around with hanging the mic module like an overhead to see if I can get a bit more cymbal definition. I've moved the module left on the the kick to give my ride a bit more space without overpowering the mic. Works well, but may as well see if I can do a bit better since the things is no longer forced to be a trigger.

So in all, there's a total of 6 triggers or zones that can be run with the EAD10 using Y splitters, plus the mics. You can assign effects to the mics separate from the triggers, so the possibilities are seemingly endless.

Last edited:
TThat's one

That's one Beauty! I hope it's everything you needed to be. Let us know if it's a keeper or a sleeper. I noticed that it had the black grosgrain ribbon... did that come with it?

I just finished putting red ribbon on my Supra.
Yep. everything you see is how it shipped.
I really like the Ribbon over plastic

Throw off on this thing is pretty cool too as I believe it has 7 positions like the Trick

Took awhile to get through customs, but the black cherry Craviotto arrived today. Sold a couple of other snares to offset the cost. Looking forward to getting it into music. Gig tomorrow will be the maiden voyage and some high end recording is coming up, so I'm expecting this to make an immediate impact on my sound. Sure is pretty to look at. Sounds real nice, too. Awww yeah...

IMG_2576.heic.jpeg

The last music gear I bought was a Behringer stage monitor speaker. I am too lazy the get a picture of it. I did get four pairs of Pro Mark 5A's for Christmas. Peace and goodwill.

Took awhile to get through customs, but the black cherry Craviotto arrived today. Sold a couple of other snares to offset the cost. Looking forward to getting it into music. Gig tomorrow will be the maiden voyage and some high end recording is coming up, so I'm expecting this to make an immediate impact on my sound. Sure is pretty to look at. Sounds real nice, too. Awww yeah...

View attachment 128591
This to me is one of the best out there I wish I could add to my collection especially the signed ones. Congrats Amigo!

This to me is one of the best out there I wish I could add to my collection especially the signed ones. Congrats Amigo!

Thanks! This one is from 2004. Johnny signed, #17 out of 250. The only thing I'm gonna do to it is replace the Dunnett throw with a Trick.

I have all metal snares but that one really got my attention. Maybe one day.
Normal, it looks like polished copper!!

Back