Avedis Sweet Ride 21, too heavy

Do you know what the weight in grams is Grolubao? You may also want to be on the lookout for a (now discontinued) 21" Zildjian "Armand" ride. It was part of the "Armand" series that was released maybe around 2008 or so and was discontinued in 2013. I have a 21" Armand and although I don't have a 21" Sweet, I've played them before. The Armand is a little washier and opens up a bit more. You may want to try one of those if you can find one, it's definitely a "cousin" to the Sweet Ride.

For reference, my 21" Armand weighs 2464 grams.
Interesting, I don't really know the weight. Will check the Armand

If possible, have someone else play it while you listen from across the room--it's surprising how different drums and cymbals can sound from even a short distance in front of the kit, as compared to your normal location behind the drums.
Exactly. I purchased a Sabian Vanguard 20 because it was said to have stick definition and a dark controllable wash. At first, I couldn't sense the stick definition, but after a few gigs we recorded, it was clear the definition was always there but from behind the kit I didn't quite catch that same intensity of definition. Beautiful sounding cymbal, love it now and will never sell.

I have a 21" K Sweet Ride that I just received as part of the K Sweet cymbal pack. Mine weighs in @ 2405 grams. which is pretty much in the middle of averages I have seen for the 21". Other weights I've found from online demos and YouTube videos include: 2317g, 2362g, 2417g, 2429g and 2472g. There are probably others I've missed. I do not know how much significance to put on this as weights seem to be all over the map.

Sound wise, while I would characterize it as a little washy when played on the bow, playing closer to the bell seems to provide more definition. I just got it last week, and have yet to play it in a musical situation.

I would second the advice of having someone play it while you listened from a distance.

I have a 21" K Sweet Ride that I just received as part of the K Sweet cymbal pack. Mine weighs in @ 2405 grams. which is pretty much in the middle of averages I have seen for the 21". Other weights I've found from online demos and YouTube videos include: 2317g, 2362g, 2417g, 2429g and 2472g. There are probably others I've missed. I do not know how much significance to put on this as weights seem to be all over the map.

Sound wise, while I would characterize it as a little washy when played on the bow, playing closer to the bell seems to provide more definition. I just got it last week, and have yet to play it in a musical situation.

I've extensively looked into all the other cymbals and seems maybe the K Sweet 21" is probably what I should be looking for. How thick do you feel it when you play it?
I think I just may not like Avedis for rides and crash, there's a bit of a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs.

Do you think the K Sweet 21" would cut the mix in a live music scenario?

I've extensively looked into all the other cymbals and seems maybe the K Sweet 21" is probably what I should be looking for. How thick do you feel it when you play it?
I think I just may not like Avedis for rides and crash, there's a bit of a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs.

Do you think the K Sweet 21" would cut the mix in a live music scenario?
In your OP, you said you liked the sound and versatility of your A Sweet Ride, which is why I recommended keeping it. But now you're saying "there's a bit of a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs", so I wholeheartedly agree that you should swap your A Sweet Ride for a K Sweet Ride.

In general, I vastly prefer Ks over As. But before it sounded like you were happy with how it sounded. Now the truth has revealed itself!

In your OP, you said you liked the sound and versatility of your A Sweet Ride, which is why I recommended keeping it. But now you're saying "there's a bit of a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs", so I wholeheartedly agree that you should swap your A Sweet Ride for a K Sweet Ride.

In general, I vastly prefer Ks over As. But before it sounded like you were happy with how it sounded. Now the truth has revealed itself!

I don't think you're being fair. I do think the A Sweet Ride is very versatile, but as I said it was quite thick and too quite a big stroke to have it open properly whereas I didn't have that problem with my K Custom Dark Ride, it opens quite quickly and feels better to play.

My only concern with the K Sweet is if it doesn't cut in the mix since K's can get quite washy and for my Pearl Jam Tribute Band it might not work very well

I don't think you're being fair. I do think the A Sweet Ride is very versatile, but as I said it was quite thick and too quite a big stroke to have it open properly whereas I didn't have that problem with my K Custom Dark Ride, it opens quite quickly and feels better to play.

My only concern with the K Sweet is if it doesn't cut in the mix since K's can get quite washy and for my Pearl Jam Tribute Band it might not work very well
To me, "a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs" is not how one describes a ride they like the sound of.

Regardless, the 21" K Sweet Ride has a fantastic bell that will cut through just about anything. The rest of the ride is kind of a middle ground. It has a bit of wash to it, but it's not overly washy. I've only played one up close, and haven't heard one at a show (that I know of), so I'm not sure how well the main part of the ride will cut. But from my up-close experience, it sounds like it would likely cut through the mix at least reasonably well.

So if you want something super piercing, this ain't it. But if you're looking for a versatile ride with a strong bell, pleasing wash and reasonable cut, this will probably work great for you.

To me, "a gongy feel to it and way too many mids and highs" is not how one describes a ride they like the sound of.

Regardless, the 21" K Sweet Ride has a fantastic bell that will cut through just about anything. The rest of the ride is kind of a middle ground. It has a bit of wash to it, but it's not overly washy. I've only played one up close, and haven't heard one at a show (that I know of), so I'm not sure how well the main part of the ride will cut. But from my up-close experience, it sounds like it would likely cut through the mix at least reasonably well.

So if you want something super piercing, this ain't it. But if you're looking for a versatile ride with a strong bell, pleasing wash and reasonable cut, this will probably work great for you.
I'll have to defer to TK-421 here as I just got my set last week and haven't even set them up yet. I've had a good case of the flu and all I've done is record the serial #'s, weigh them and give the ride about 10 mins playing with it. I liked what I heard though, and I didn't mean to give you the impression that I've gigged with them. Later this week I'll get them out and settled now that Capt. Trips is leaving the building.

I have a 20" from the 90's and a 70's 22" that I am keeping for back up / alternate rides, but I would really love it it I could just get by with the 21" K Sweet for playing blues in some of the smaller rooms and clubs around here (but that's a ways off. har-har).

I do think the A Sweet Ride is very versatile, but as I said it was quite thick and too quite a big stroke to have it open properly whereas I didn't have that problem with my K Custom Dark Ride, it opens quite quickly and feels better to play.
I would go straight to the 23” A or K Sweet, since that seems to be where your head is at, in that case. Your best bet is to go hit some cymbals and see what feels good.

I returned my 21 k sweet - just not loud enough. Nice bell sound but distinct lack of oomph riding the edge - non existent in the mix and I'm not in a heavy band by any means.🤷‍♂️

An update on this. So I've tried extensively the following cymbals:

- 20" K Pre-aged Dry Light Ride: Way too dry, didn't cut at all. A few I've heard in the past were not this dry, so maybe was this one
- 20" K Heavy Ride: Great ping, but didn't crash at ALL, so not usable. The bell was very good too
- 21" K Sweet Ride: Quite low volume compared to the A Sweet Ride. Bell also was not as cutting. Seems like it doesn't do anything too good.

So funny enough, the A Sweet Ride 21" is still the most versatile for the type of music I'm playing. It has a great bell, decent ping (bit washy but hey) and good crash.

What I came to conclude is that there's no ride out there that can perform on the 3 elements: ping, bell and crash all at the same time, there always has to be some compromise

It was a 21" Sweet Ride, purchased on advice from a friend, that forced me to stop using Zildjian cymbals. It was a complete turd. I haven't bought a Zildjian in about 18 years. Check out samples of Sabian rides. The Freq rides are great sounding, as are many of the other rides in the AAX and AA lines. There are many samples on You Tube, and Sabian's website.

What I came to conclude is that there's no ride out there that can perform on the 3 elements: ping, bell and crash all at the same time, there always has to be some compromise
I'd disagree. The perfect ride is always out there. You have to travel past many cymbals to find it.
The hunt can be as fun as the find.
Yes it can be expensive, but try the used cymbal route too.

I played in a Pearl Jam tribute band for years and used an 21” A Sweet Ride the whole time, I love mine for a rock setting! Great bell and crashes pretty well.
Record a few songs while playing it from the other side of a room, listen back, it may work out.
FWIW, mine is the original (small logo) model in traditional finish.

My experience have been the reverse: it weighs heavy, but doesn't sound or feel heavy (even a bit too light). I'd like something in reverse
The A medium plays like a much more "normal" cymbal and costs (and weighs) reasonably, so that could be a consideration

Maybe I'm just trying to find the perfect ride
(psst...shh. The secret.. the perfect ride is the one or ones, you don't have to think about : ) you just go It doesn't get in the way in any way) GL the ones you don't have to think about there's a certain 'trust" and your playing and your thinking goes past them. They don't get in the way. That's Happy :
after (took me) about 13 cymbal sets. it'll hit ya : ) the point of a cymbal or cymbals is looking over it , so it never infringes on your playing : )
Find those. It takes awhile (that's my 40c)
Looking at the cymbal(s) instead of over them will drive ya ---- until you find your mellow spot
31 years I had em all just about, Some just some from the past I keep;
the best are sometimes the ones that are just enough.. not a bit more

Last edited:
Back