What the road had/has taught you

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
For me it was that you better have some diplomacy skills or your in for a long trip. Stay healthy and positive or you are............. Some hotel/motel rooms are close to condemnable. You better have some gypsy in your soul or missing your friends like a ten year old is a small problem. You realize quick wether or not you were/are cut out for this crazy life. To be cont.

Sleep well and don't go crazy on the drink every night. I did a tour about 6 or so years ago and every night after the show I ended up absolutely blitzed and I played horrendously at pretty much every show with blazing hangovers sweating out the previous nights beer, which to be honest is pretty selfish as people pay good money to see you and expect a decent level of performance. Steer clear of fried food too, makes you play drums like a sloth.

Be. Nice. To. People.

1. Flying coach longer than 2 hours sucks.

2. Airports suck.

3. People will alternately go out of their way to make it more fun or no fun.

4. You need to let it all go come showtime.

5. Backline can be top shelf or crap the promoter borrowed from his kid’s band.

6. Sleeping in your own bed is great.

7. The potted plants in the lobby make more money than you do unless you are with a name act who appreciates what you do or you’re the leader.

8. I should have finished college and blown off playing music for a living.

1. Flying coach longer than 2 hours sucks.

2. Airports suck.

3. People will alternately go out of their way to make it more fun or no fun.

4. You need to let it all go come showtime.

5. Backline can be top shelf or crap the promoter borrowed from his kid’s band.

6. Sleeping in your own bed is great.

7. The potted plants in the lobby make more money than you do unless you are with a name act who appreciates what you do or you’re the leader.

8. I should have finished college and blown off playing music for a living.
Drummer!..you HAVE been on the road!. Damn I had a good laugh as unfunny as it can be!.

I learned immediately that I am not cut out for the road, which is part of the reason I didn't pursue music any more than I did.

I'm not a comfortable traveler. At all. I didn't think it was wise to build a career out of it.

Gigging, I like. Getting to the gig? Not so much.

Just be a good person. Van rides can be VERY long if people are having a beef with each other. MANY problems can be side-stepped with just a little bit of patience, respect, and awareness of people outside of yourself (and outside of the band). I’ve seen plenty of musicians treat a tour like a “vacation” that’s all about them, like it’s a chance to misbehave and get their kicks out. Nope, sorry—you should still be a decent human being.

Benefits come in the form of making connections, getting new gigs, meeting new people, etc. Heck, we had a few people who our band stayed with who became good friends with us—even inviting us to stay with them if we wanted to visit the area with our families! A couple of us have done just that! 😁 Another generous person offered to take us kayak fishing in the ocean the next time we came through, so we planned that into our next tour, and it was AWESOME!!! 😄

Wow..im getting to know you guys on a more personal level. I'm very interested in your musical trek as much as what ride cymbal you like. I get to peek into your soul.

Sleep well and don't go crazy on the drink every night. I did a tour about 6 or so years ago and every night after the show I ended up absolutely blitzed and I played horrendously at pretty much every show with blazing hangovers sweating out the previous nights beer, which to be honest is pretty selfish as people pay good money to see you and expect a decent level of performance. Steer clear of fried food too, makes you play drums like a sloth.

Be. Nice. To. People.
Nobody likes a drunken drummer if they're drumming drunk. After the show drinks are fine.

Wow..im getting to know you guys on a more personal level. I'm very interested in your musical trek as much as what ride cymbal you like. I get to peek into your soul.
You stay out of my soul! Nothing but a bunch of black stuff in there anyway ;)

Make sure you have all the details for everything in writing, which means signed contracts.

Don't trust your knucklehead bandmate to make the motel reservations.

Don't travel in a van with your gear and bandmates.

Don't sleep on the floors of fans who want to put you up, as nice as they're trying to be.

Make sure you eat sensibly and get rest in between gigs.

Don't piss off the soundmen you come across, even though some of them may be idiots without a clue. They have the power to make you sound terrible.

Last edited:
be flexible, adaptable, and have low expectations <--- that way when bad things happened you are not surprised, and when good things do, iit is like a little gift

it also taught me that being rich is not the definition of success; ;and that having "things" is sort of overrated; some of my most free and relaxing times was during the years where we were trying to "make it big"

I got to learn a lot about my situation versus other peoples, and how to appreciate what I have/had

it was the BEST test of life skills....

be flexible, adaptable, and have low expectations <--- that way when bad things happened you are not surprised, and when good things do, iit is like a little gift

it also taught me that being rich is not the definition of success; ;and that having "things" is sort of overrated; some of my most free and relaxing times was during the years where we were trying to "make it big"

I got to learn a lot about my situation versus other peoples, and how to appreciate what I have/had

it was the BEST test of life skills....
Damn..thats deep drummer. Wow. I'm like someone listening to a riveting lecture. All of you have been through the 🔥.

I learned immediately that I am not cut out for the road, which is part of the reason I didn't pursue music any more than I did.

I'm not a comfortable traveler. At all. I didn't think it was wise to build a career out of it.

Gigging, I like. Getting to the gig? Not so much.

I was/am the opposite. I LOVE traveling, and driving specifically. I was always the driver for band tours, and I loved it. So much cool stuff to see here in America on the road. Being a moderate control freak, being able to drive made me feel like I had control over at least one aspect of the day on a tour...

same now with vacations.

Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis

Be cool and associate yourself with those who know how to be cool. Get used to waiting around as well.

I used to keep an airbed, duvet and pillows in the car. When I did the bike rally circuit our bassist always camped over and had a free compartment. I've had way more uncomfortable stays in hotels than on an airbed camped in a field. Also driving back after a good night's sleep if you're a long way from home is far safer.

Never underestimate the call of your own bed. It gets me home safe. I don't travel too far nowadays.

Most importantly, drive safely. Man the idiots I see on the roads are nothing short of spectacular!

Don’t do it for the money; do it for the love of the game, but never play for free (there can be exceptions).

No drinking or drugs. I’ll never understand how people do this strung out or drunk. It seems like it would be impossible.

Most sound guys are idiots. Just be nice and patient. It’s hard though. The good ones make life so easy.

Something will go wrong every gig. Just roll with it.

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

Be nice to everyone. Encourage everyone - your band mates, other bands that share the bill, the sound techs, mangers, etc.

When this gig is over, pack up and leave. It’s rare that anything good happens at the venue after the show.

Get there early, and don’t get mad if others run late. You might as well go outside and yell at the clouds. Just deal with it and keep moving. I’ve almost ruined good relationships with people because they are chronically late. I’ve had to let this go.

Outdoor gigs suck a lot. When it’s a good night though, it’s fantastic.

My family is everything.

Jealousy of other bands can eat you alive.

I’ve learned why some people who have success in entertainment get bitter towards their hometown. I always thought that this was weird, but now that I’m going through it, I get it and I hate it.

If you are sharing the bill with other bands and you aren’t first, there a 95% chance that you are going to start later and your set will be cut short.

When it comes to gear, you really start to learn what is considered roadworthy and what’s not.

Go ahead and buy the good drum throne.

When you play community concerts, the organizer will not be experienced in this. Chances are, booking concerts was listed under the “other duties as assigned” when she applied and accepted her position with the town. It’s always a “she” as well. I don’t know why, but it is. Some organizers are better than others, but booking bands is definitely not the primary thing they know how to do.

A good band manager is worth his/her weight in gold. I love mine.

Do your best to laugh with your band as much as possible.

There are crazy people in every town, and they will all find you.

When you play a community concert, there will always be those one or two people who get up and dance whether or not anyone else does.

When you play, dress well. If you feel good about how you look, you’ll play better.

Play every show like it’s the last one you’ll play because it could all end tomorrow.

The people in your life who say “Let me know when you are playing locally and we will come out” never do. Just appreciate it when it does happen because it’s so rare.

I have many more, but I’ll stop here.

Last edited:
Back