ACE Grant and a Continuation of my work on the Snare Drum

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
Hi all,

Greetings from Down Under, as I'm here visiting family.

Some of you may know that in 2021/2022, I completed an Arts Council England funded project into the snare drum as a solo instrument. This culminated in three publications of original snare drum repertoire, and a number of video and textual essays about the instrument (see here).

I am very pleased to share that I have just received confirmation that I will receive another Arts Council England grant to continue with this work. This will result in fifteen new original compositions on the snare drum, their recording and performance, publication of the scores, and an array of educational content in the form of videos and essays.

I look forward to sharing this work with you.

Many thanks as always for the tremendous support from this sub.

Jonathan

P.S., here is one of the performances/compositions that was produced through the previous grant:

Hi all,

Greetings from Down Under, as I'm here visiting family.

Some of you may know that in 2021/2022, I completed an Arts Council England funded project into the snare drum as a solo instrument. This culminated in three publications of original snare drum repertoire, and a number of video and textual essays about the instrument (see here).

I am very pleased to share that I have just received confirmation that I will receive another Arts Council England grant to continue with this work. This will result in fifteen new original compositions on the snare drum, their recording and performance, publication of the scores, and an array of educational content in the form of videos and essays.

I look forward to sharing this work with you.

Many thanks as always for the tremendous support from this sub.

Jonathan

P.S., here is one of the performances/compositions that was produced through the previous grant:

Congratulations Jonathan! That’s terrific news!

This will result in fifteen new original compositions on the snare drum, their recording and performance, publication of the scores, and an array of educational content in the form of videos and essays.
Congratulations! Yes! Wonderful! But…which snare drum(s) will be used? Will you tune things differently (low and fat) or use different heads (e.g., Calftone over hazy 500)? Asking for a friend. ;)

That's great news Jonathan congratulations. These grants are so helpful for musicians and the wider community for the work that stems from them - look forward to hearing about your project.

Caroline

Thanks Caroline. You're right, the grants are a life-line for many of us. I understand you worked on one yourself. How did that turn out for you? I'd love to see some of your own work

Best wishes,
Jonathan

Back