Gretsch "customer service"

One more post about this from me because I’m up early and I see all the comments so of course it’s the Internet and I feel compelled to write. I’m speculating here, which is useless and probably not even correct, but what the hell it’s the Internet so why not.

1) Sweetwater sells drums and hardware in boxes. They don’t sell parts. I don’t want to call them the Walmart of the musical instrument sales, but they’re not a drum shop, they’re not a guitar repair shop they don’t actually do anything but receive the boxes and ship them to you, or act as the middleman as a dropship. So the idea that they have this part is out of the question unfortunately. So they’re contacting Gretsch, and this is an overseas Taiwan part from Gretsch that comes to Gretch as a complete assembly, so they don’t necessarily have it sitting around either.

2) Sweetwater doesn’t want to replace your whole Tom receiver for one plastic sleeve, whether you broke it or whether your little sister broke it, or however it happened. To do so they’d have to ask you to send yours back first, or send you a shipping label so you didn’t have to pay for shipping, or they would send you a new one with the packing slip so you could put yours in the same box and send yours back to them when you got the new one from Sweetwater that they would so graciously ship. Apparently they are not going to do that, unless you ask them or perhaps pressure them to do it.

3) all of this is to say you should really contact a real drum shop, Dales in Pennsylvania, Pro Percussion in LA, Forks, or Maxwells, someone that has new and old parts in stock and does repairs and tell them the sleeve that you need and pay the five dollars plus shipping that it’s going to cost you. Or you could keep banging your head against the wall expecting Sweetwater and gretsch to get you this part. But if you wanted it done and over with, I would advise you to suck it up and call a drum shop who might have that part sitting around from another one or two or four tom mounts that have something else broken on them.

Good morning everyone and good luck to the OP
3) At this point, after 8 weeks, I don't care about the $. It's principle now.

This echoes my sentiment regarding the problem.

Gretsch has always taken wonderful care of me and everyone I know that's reached out to them - people like Paul Cooper or Josh Shafer at the factory are typically zippy to take care of any problems.

I think you're stuck in a feedback loop of a big box music retailer and manufacturer which reflects more on Sweetwater than Gretsch especially if you keep saying that you're talking to Sweetwater not Gretsch themselves.

I'm more Surprised that Sweetwater hasn't just sent you an entire replacement tom arm - surely can't bet that big of a expense within the grand scheme of things.
Yes...perhaps I should've named this thread "Sweetwater 'customer service'". I only blamed Gretsch because Sweetwater did. But, this is my first time dealing with either of them, so IDK. Always was a GC guy.

did J.D. (I like that name..)
Skimming the thread, I thought you were legitimately having a conversation with yourself.

If that mount is defective, do even want another one? I'd take the money and get something better if you can...or why not just contact Roland (Roland > DW > Gretsch) just to let them know they bought terrible service?

Anyways, not a fun exercise in humanity when you just want to play...you buy something new and falls to crap with no help, not cool.

I had a spring break on a brand new Tama pedal. Shouldn’t have happened but it did. I called their customer service line and ordered 2 new springs. Quick and effortless. Maybe try calling customer service. That’s their job.

Hal Leonard is the exclusive US distribution partner for all Gretsch Full Range models. All inquiries regarding Catalina Maple & Club Series, Renown Series, Energy Series and “Full Range Snares”
Phone: 844-372-8536
Email:
[email protected]

3) At this point, after 8 weeks, I don't care about the $. It's principle now.
If principle is the heart of the matter then you have no business being upset with either Gretsch or Sweetwater. You broke the part yourself and it's up to you to find a replacement.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it but there are limits to this "customer is always right" thing.

Every time I’ve had an issue with a drum the dealer was supposed to be the point person.
This is 100%. Whenever we buy a product with a problem, we return it to the store we bought it from. No one contacts Levi's, Honda, Kitchenaid, Visio, Bassett, etc, directly.

Only with musical instruments does this seem to happen.

If principle is the heart of the matter then you have no business being upset with either Gretsch or Sweetwater. You broke the part yourself and it's up to you to find a replacement.

I'm not trying to be a dick about it but there are limits to this "customer is always right" thing.
I tried putting a cymbal stand in that must not have been fat enough. I had no idea how this worked. I've had a set of Rogers for 50+ years that has *never* had an issue. 5min into owning a Gretsch a plastic piece snaps in half and it's *my* fault?

Skimming the thread, I thought you were legitimately having a conversation with yourself.

If that mount is defective, do even want another one? I'd take the money and get something better if you can...or why not just contact Roland (Roland > DW > Gretsch) just to let them know they bought terrible service?

Anyways, not a fun exercise in humanity when you just want to play...you buy something new and falls to crap with no help, not cool.
I'll get to the bottom of it. I remain optimistic. Maybe something good will come from it. Seems like a defective design.

If that mount is defective, do even want another one?
It was operator error. And ... other dudes; Those Double Toms Posts are Not Cheap.
Sweet Dandy Water isn't taking one off a Stock kit or ordering and sending you out a New one... (no pun there.....) just handing it over. I'm guessing they are not.

I'll get to the bottom of it. I remain optimistic. Maybe something good will come from it. Seems like a defective design.
Can you find the part number on the Gretsch site? I can’t find anything on their site regarding specific part numbers.

I tried putting a cymbal stand in that must not have been fat enough. I had no idea how this worked. I've had a set of Rogers for 50+ years that has *never* had an issue. 5min into owning a Gretsch a plastic piece snaps in half and it's *my* fault?
Yes. Your crime is not owning a New Set in 50 years (look it up Section Cu2347A)

Tama started using the nylon/plastic collars in stands in 1974
-Unawareness- " I didn't see the stop sign , the speed limit sign, nor the yellow line, officer"
is no excuse (I tried it last Thursday etc.. ; )

The plastic insert goes inside GS1-THDL (name of tom holder). It wasnt born in there, someone makes them for whomever makes the tom holder. If you can track down who assembles the tom holder, you can find the insert.

We used to get individual part orders all the time for customers repairing their speaker cabinets. Like 1 foot and its screw orders.

3) all of this is to say you should really contact a real drum shop, Dales in Pennsylvania, Pro Percussion in LA, Forks, or Maxwells, someone that has new and old parts in stock and does repairs and tell them the sleeve that you need and pay the five dollars plus shipping that it’s going to cost you. Or you could keep banging your head against the wall expecting Sweetwater and gretsch to get you this part. But if you wanted it done and over with, I would advise you to suck it up and call a drum shop who might have that part sitting around from another one or two or four tom mounts that have something else broken on them.
This ....searching the internet and calling drum shops- Gretsch Dealer drum shops.

could be a universal item/part used by other makers
Call Columbus Drum Shop.. Ask For Joe..
Or visit a Shop in person..
The plastic insert goes inside GS1-THDL (name of tom holder). It wasnt born in there, someone makes them for whomever makes the tom holder. If you can track down who assembles the tom holder, you can find the insert.

We used to get individual part orders all the time for customers repairing their speaker cabinets. Like 1 foot and its screw orders.
The someone is a parts maker in Taiwan, won't be in the stock bins in North Carolina. Gonna to have work with a Gretsch dealer who might have import Gretsch parts books. Not a USA part but need a Gretsch Dealer

It was operator error. And ... other dudes; Those Double Toms Posts are Not Cheap.
Sweet Dandy Water isn't taking one off a Stock kit or ordering and sending you out a New one... (no pun there.....) just handing it over. I'm guessing they are not.
Maybe so or not...but if you have a an empty slot and you don't want it to rattle while playing then most of us would want it tight and secure. If it breaks, I'd consider it a design error. I actually had the mount recently minus the extra tom holder, thought it had more weight than necessary and wasn't what I wanted. I didn't snap the insert on the mount hole but it didn't occur to me that over tightening would destroy the mount either.

I went the Canopus version but it's actually a Gibraltar design. The accessory mount can take anything and can be tightened with out risk of a plastic insert ruining the mount. He is a used one for sale for only $15 (+$10 ship) if OP is interested

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 10.23.22 AM.png

I read he tried a narrower tube and overtightened it past the point to breakage
I see...well, I do stupid stuff too accidently breaking things. I imagine a returned mount could be fixed pretty easily though.

I think drumsets when I think Gretsch, this progressive 50s may be one of the finest vintage examples I ever heard...no wonder it sold, freakin divine. They have some killers in their current line up. Your gutmetal broadcaster, what a great set...a sleeper hit in the 90s. But I don't think 1) hardware or 2) snares when I think Gretsch as the first go to...but thats just me.

Gotta be a bit of a mechanic; pick the piece out see what it looks like... have a cup of coffee... see the shape

every big manufacturer uses the bushings - with slight differences probably- just have to track down - an exact match- with dealer assistance

Last edited:
I’m hoping it will get worked out for you between SW and Gretsch.

To me what’s damning, is that manufacturer isn’t responding to SW…

However I would expect a large industry like MF and SW’s policy on a new item where it’s fully replaceable no questions asked REGARDLESS OF PRICE.

Saying that I purchased my Demonator pedal from Bentleys, what we call reputable ma and pa, it was new.
Once I got it, the bearings or the housing did not let the left pedal work and feel the way it should.

DidI expect a bag of bearings or a new component for the kick?
Contacted Bentleys, Dana had me send the pedal back no questions asked. Shortly after, got an email with tracking for another brand new pedal in an unopened plastic wrapped case came my way within a week and a half.

That’s Great Customer Service and instant satisfaction.

If the mount is assembled in NC it will be.
it's not..
the whole set
never saw North Carolina
never passed thru.
ddn't ever drive by
never showed up

Last edited:
it's not..
the whole set
never saw North Carolina
never passed thru.
ddn't ever drive by
never showed up
Doesnt matter. A customer in Nagasaki wants a foot and its screw for a CM15V cabinet. They are built in Arkansas. Yamaha Japan would contact their US affiliate in California. They would then contact our shop. An invoice would be made, the order would be filled, the customer gets their parts and is happy. Didnt matter where they lived. Happened all the time.

The foot and screw in question came from Penn-Elcom and Fastenal, both USA companies. The parts are all in the shop. If they weren't, the product cant be fully assembled.

If Gretsch cares enough about the customer they can do the same thing.

Back