Post your Gig Pics

Got my Design series kit out for a play yesterday. Multi-band bill and I drew the “backline your kit” short straw. I keep these Design drums on hand specifically for this purpose, as I refuse to let anyone else play my other DW kit. They performed admirably. Venue was yet another Bakersfield horse ranch.

23D3D10A-4C27-4FA7-998A-92B1D7031F76.jpeg

922782A3-04FE-431A-AD13-1C5675B0341D.jpeg

19AB3686-3CC4-4759-937C-AA1D98FC2FEB.jpeg

Got my Design series kit out for a play yesterday. Multi-band bill and I drew the “backline your kit” short straw. I keep these Design drums on hand specifically for this purpose, as I refuse to let anyone else play my other DW kit. They performed admirably. Venue was yet another Bakersfield horse ranch.

View attachment 124616

View attachment 124617

View attachment 124618
When I get forced to provide backline I always bring my smallest and/or most unusual set ups haha. One time I brought my Tama cocktail jam and no joke... One of the bands refused to even play because 'someone' (not me but our singer who arranged the show and told me the morning of that everyone is using my drums) told them there would be a 'full backline drum kit' and my cocktail jam kit was 'a toy, not real drums'. The drummer said to me "I'm not playing that thing" and I said "hmm... Good." And they all left without playing a song.

Finally had an opportunity to get my little drums out for a doubleheader today. They were especially useful for the first job, crammed in a corner of an uppity restaurant. The bass drum is 10x20… fits in the tight spots real nice like. Could’ve used my big rig for the second job, but I already had the little drums with me so stuck with ‘em.

8EE4E96A-C76E-49A5-A9DE-335F9BAEC5BE.jpeg

273C2D1D-DDC0-4D8F-9774-AA9ACAFEFFB9.jpeg

Went with the little setup for a nice winery gig down in Moorpark, CA yesterday evening. That 10x20 bass drum is a little banger. Took the ‘79 Black Beauty out for a spin. 10x16 ballad snare thingy and the usual 602s rounded out the kit.

Never thought I’d hear myself say this, but the Black Beauty isn’t even in the top-3 snares I’ll use for this duo thing from here on out. This gig requires a significant amount of time using various types of muffling, and the BB would much rather run free and wide open. It sounded good+ in this situation, but I expect great every time.

88889FEA-C685-4512-9142-876B61750F3D.jpeg

From the job last night. After comparing the ‘79 Black Beauty and my ‘82 hammered bronze on consecutive gigs, it’s not even close. The hammered bronze is far and away the better choice for this type of gig. Handles muffling better and has a mellower sound in general.

Dee Dubs and 602s round out the set again. I feel like I’ve settled into a nice gear groove now, which I’ve said a million times before but somehow seems more legit this time around. We shall see. LOL.

Since evidently now on Drummerworld every post about a drummer has to be qualified with backstory and acknowledgement of suffrage, I’ve included a pic of an old, bald, fat dude (me) who’s enjoyed a lifetime of white privilege. Hope you dig the pics.

Now, please excuse me while I go bury my naive head in the sand and pretend the world’s as rainbow and butterflies as the unicorn tears John Good infused into my DW drum shells on the day he made them. 🦄🦋🌈

DEF02032-1386-422E-A7F2-E2AEFB635103.jpeg

987E6314-3969-4842-ACA7-16F4D6D60BC5.jpeg

Back