Terrible Noble and Cooley News

Neal Pert

Silver Member
From Nick:

It is with great sadness that I announce today is my final day working for Noble & Cooley. It has been a wild ride over the last 16+ years, but some changes over the last while have made me realize I will be happier venturing out on my own. With my dad’s resignation a couple weeks ago, I reflected on my position at the company and the direction we are headed. While I’m very proud of the drums we have built, and the steady growth that we have had over the last couple years, I realized my role at the company was no longer what I wanted it to be.

I want to thank each and every one of you for the support, the memories, and the love that you have shown my family and me since we started this journey. I’m incredibly proud to have gotten to know many of you personally and will always cherish times that we shared.

I’ll still be hanging around the Enthusiast page from time to time, so feel free to reach out and keep in touch. Also, while I don’t exactly know what I’m going to be doing next, I have started a website and Instagram that I’ll be updating with projects I’m working on going forward. Follow my page @jonesnproductions on Instagram and at jonesnproduction.com to see what I am working on.

Thanks again for everything. You all are the best!

I actually talked to the new guy-- Luke Garro-- a couple days ago and he didn't mention any of this. Said he was "taking some stuff off Nick's plate." I've got a couple extremely important projects there now and I'm pretty furious that none of this was mentioned and that he talked to us as if nothing had changed.

So, Noble and Cooley is no longer owned by the family. If this was some sort of hostile takeover thing, that company is finished.

Big changes like this are always difficult, and the uncertainty going forward can be crushing. The good news is now you have no excuse to not do all those things you said you wanted to do. I'm sure you have the resources and determination to rise from this. Sincere best wishes.

I've got a couple extremely important projects there now and I'm pretty furious that none of this was mentioned and that he talked to us as if nothing had changed.

So, Noble and Cooley is no longer owned by the family. If this was some sort of hostile takeover thing, that company is finished.
I'd be mad too, as customers with outstanding orders should've been kept in the loop. I wonder if the reason they didn't is because had they known about the family being out, there would've been a mass exodus of order cancellations.
As is those with orders will find out eventually, so why delay the inevitable?

When a family owned business doesn't own the business, I exit (with the exception of Gretsch as the family name & at least one member is still involved).
I'm on board with Outlaw Drum Co for the very reason they're a small crew, family ran shop.

Sad news here for sure & I'm betting the changes coming down the pike won't be met well with the old school N&C customers.

Gutwrenching. Jay and Nick are the only two people I trusted to build my next kit. Looks like I'll have to scratch a Noble & Cooley kit off of my Want List now.

Ditto Doug, I'd dreamed of a Horizon kit one day myself.

Sure glad I have some of the amazing snare drums they built.

Last edited:
Wow, bummer news. Was going to take something else to the job tonight, but I think I’ll take my 7” SS maple (circa ‘87) instead. My little tip of the cap to Nick and Jay. I’ve truly enjoyed all the N&C drums I’ve owned over the years. Here’s wishing them both the best!

38D35784-CEF0-4EF6-A99B-0AF25329E035.jpeg

When I first saw the thread title my first thought was 'OMG that old factory burned down or DW has bought them out.'

Last edited:
What is going on with this industry in recent years? Forever love my 7×14 SS Classic. Thanks Jay and Nick for all your hard work and dedication.

What is going on with this industry in recent years? Forever love my 7×14 SS Classic. Thanks Jay and Nick for all your hard work and dedication.
This is nothing new whatsoever. Just happened that two big names did it within a couple weeks time.

So did one of my favorite drum companies just die today? WTF…From what I see, they both carry the most craft experience not to mention the romance charm of lineage. Life is funny though, it could circle back to family hands eventually. And sounds like a potential off shoot is coming. But N&C carry a very specific market and formula that shouldn’t be compromised and they are proud of their history…someone royally messed up here, don’t expect customers to be loyal on just a brand name for discerning drummers to flock to…no

I appreciate that there’s a subset of drummers turned on the idea that they once spoke to — or corresponded with — the CEO of a niche boutique drum maker. To me, the only thing being lost by the Jones selling
their company is the opportunity to pay too much for a drum built without the automation we’ve taken for granted for a century.

Don’t be surprised when some savvy marketer offers the opportunity for you to buy Amish drums assembled without electricity or machines. Start saving for that now.

To me, the only thing being lost by the Jones selling their company is the opportunity to pay too much for a drum built without the automation we’ve taken for granted for a century.
If we all embraced generic in the race towards the bottom line, wouldn’t things be boring? We’re already at a point of little more than ever revolving finish offerings & faux discounts. Let’s not forget that the passion of many independent drum makers pushed innovation adopted by mainstream manufacturers.

If we all embraced generic in the race towards the bottom line, wouldn’t things be boring? We’re already at a point of little more than ever revolving finish offerings & faux discounts.
Faux discounts?!?!?! I get "Artist"/ Endorsee pricing from over priced Soultone cymbals...Im an artist damn you!!!! Take your fancy french word and just do whatever with it but im telling you, I am an artist!!!!! ( p.s. I love my Paistes)

Back