Hurricane Ian

That is good, I'm happy to hear! I'll be honest, finding honest, hard working, caring contractors is very difficult here in Florida. It's very common for them to have drug and or alcohol problems, no show, like, cut corners, and prey on the elderly. This guy sounds like a good egg and I strongly encourage you to keep him around for you and your mother's sake.
Please, do not make the mistake of thinking that this is a Florida-Only issue. I lived in California for 49 of my 55 years and I can assure you it happens elsewhere all of the time.

That said, I completely agree, it's wonderful that she's found a reliable handyman. They are as unicorn as humble lead vocalists. ;)

Well it's official, I've sprung a leak. Nothing too crazy, two wet spots about 3x1' on the floor. No leaks at the window or ceiling, just plain too much exterior water for the foundation to handle. It's alarming how many people are out and about driving in my area. Wind is getting really bad now that the storm is starting to make it's way offshore. I don't know much about meteorology but my experience has shown the tail end of a storm like this is usually the worst for wind and tornadoes. My aunt has an anchored permanent double wide trailer home on the other side of my neighborhood and I just learned half her carport got ripped off and a chunk of the corner of the roof is pulled up.

That is good, I'm happy to hear! I'll be honest, finding honest, hard working, caring contractors is very difficult here in Florida. It's very common for them to have drug and or alcohol problems, no show, lie, cut corners, and prey on the elderly. This guy sounds like a good egg and I strongly encourage you to keep him around for you and your mother's sake.
Sadly, not just Florida and not just the elderly. And not just contractors.
So hooray for recognizing one of the good ones.

As my best friend often says, it will work out. It did. Minimal damage considering. As I said, it’s nail biting watching from a distance, but in hindsight, I’m glad we were not down there.

Power and water turned off since 2 yesterday. Cell service was pretty dark most of the evening. We did not find out any news from our neighbors till 3 pm today.

My new neighbors are awesome. I really appreciate everything they could do. I feel a little timid, I could not be one of those neighbors helping out.

The outside damage is one window had the hurricane shutters ripped out from being bolted in.
The inside damage was some water leaking from the roof vent onto our kitchen ceiling.

My neighbor and contractor for my mini split in the garage was checking his installation on my side of the house and found this ( see pic )
Then one of our other neighbors has our keys and got in to survey the damage.

3DC872E1-EFC4-45B3-A156-314CDD94A138.jpeg

E783DAE4-D259-471A-9CD5-7331D014E89B.jpeg

What

What neighborhood are you in ? I live off Seminole Dr. In Venice and we are getting hammered..we still have power on for now haven't seen any sharks fly by yet😁
Prior to buying, we rented several times right in your area. Did some VRBO’s. That area was our base to explore Venice.
We are in Renaissance of Wellen Park, Venice.

So how did you do getting through Ian?

Last edited:
I have lived in the Venice are my whole life and have never been in a hurricane like this it sat over us for hours it was insane the whole neighborhood is trashed ,no one hurt thank God .I def.dont want to do this again.

Prior to buying, we rented several times right in your area. Did some VRBO’s. That area was our base to explore Venice.
We are in Renaissance of Wellen Park, Venice.

So how did you do getting through Ian?
We're good ,there are huge trees down everywhere, debris ,I've never experienced a hurricane like this it just sat over us for hours.we tool a drive and the new Aldi the roof caved in and filled the whole place up with water .it looked like a fish bowl frown the parking lot with water leaking through the doors .insane .you made out ok

Still no power in Daytona or the immediate surrounding area. I'm going to venture out to the place I work at and try to inspect damage and make a report. I got one of those 'I don't care about your well being or the storm, you have to go see if my building is ok' emails from an executive on the other side of the country. Gotta love Corporate America.

Last edited:
Still no power in Daytona or the immediate surrounding area. I'm going to venture out to the place I work at and try to inspect damage and make a report. I got one of those 'I don't care about your well being or the storm, you have to go see if my building is ok' emails from an executive on the other side of the country. Gotta love Corporate America. Don't patron SPB Hospitality restaurants unless you too only care for corporate greed and not the well being of the common working man.
What a bastard.

Still no power in Daytona or the immediate surrounding area. I'm going to venture out to the place I work at and try to inspect damage and make a report. I got one of those 'I don't care about your well being or the storm, you have to go see if my building is ok' emails from an executive on the other side of the country. Gotta love Corporate America. Don't patron SPB Hospitality restaurants unless you too only care for corporate greed and not the well being of the common working man.
Powers out, what email lol?

Interesting they chose 'Ian' as a name - when my brother Ian and me lived in California - no-one seemed to have ever heard of his name before.
What roofing material do they use over there? I'm sure slates or shingles would tear off like thistledown.

Powers out, what email lol?
I'm using what little cell data availability we've got... On my personal phone... That the company doesn't pay for... While I'm not getting paid because "brewers are hourly employees, nothing more."

Interesting they chose 'Ian' as a name - when my brother Ian and me lived in California - no-one seemed to have ever heard of his name before.
What roofing material do they use over there? I'm sure slates or shingles would tear off like thistledown.
Most people have regular shingles, some people have metal roofs, and a select few are holding on to the old Spanish style architecture of the terracotta layered 'plates'. I have shingles and wind mitigation supports, for about 24 hours straight my roof sounded like a pencil that was about to snap in your hand. Eventually we will get a metal roof. We did install hurricane resistant impact windows as few years ago so unless our house takes a direct hit from a cat 4+ then I don't have to board anymore. I do have a metal framed sun room with single pane aluminum windows... That gets iffy haha.

They already sent out emails telling us our sales are low for the week and we better make it up over the weekend
Yes, because the people who just went through a hurricane are worried about going out to eat. Not their loved ones, not their homes, but going out to eat.

We're good ,there are huge trees down everywhere, debris ,I've never experienced a hurricane like this it just sat over us for hours.we tool a drive and the new Aldi the roof caved in and filled the whole place up with water .it looked like a fish bowl frown the parking lot with water leaking through the doors .insane .you made out ok
"we tool a drive and the new Aldi the roof caved in and filled the whole place up with water."
Repeat please? I say again, repeat. You're breaking up, Florida. ( :

Back