Something weird is going on with my bass drum batter head.

However I'm positive it's on correctly.
the (wood) flat side goes against the (mylar) head's aluminum hoop
altho not sure anyone curves the outer claw-side hoop anymores..

the (wood) flat side goes against the (mylar) head's aluminum hoop
altho not sure anyone curves the outer claw-side hoop anymores..
Yup. I’m very much a gear head (with 40 years of experience), and I’m about as anal a drummer who has ever lived. :) So I'm very aware of the correct way to install a wood hoop. It's a good thought though, it's just not applicable in this case.

I’m about as anal a drummer who has ever lived
"it always happens to those guys"...; ) (kidding

I think post #22 of Wuhan's is On to something....

Is the top edge of the felt on the left beater hitting first? Meaning, is it not hitting flat? If the top leads, it would try to rotate the head.
Both beaters are aligned to hit the head flat. The Iron Cobra beaters on the pedal I'm currently using have a slightly domed shape, so even if it were slightly off center, just a small amount of the beater makes contact. And as I previously mentioned, the head has been rotating with both pedals I've been using.

I know a fix for it : )

Turn head 2 notches/panels to the left. By Wednesday next week it'll be perfect.
3. Sell them : )
(joking joking...

wait there's a 4th
go back to single pedal
:D

wait a 5th.

Keep pounding err Playing them until the head decides where to stop..

(Just kidding you have my sympathy)

Well I note your post is on the Death Star so maybe something about it's energy field is messing with your head? Something not right with the force-it's off balance. Has it done so with other heads? Is it a new head and did it always do so-or did it develop?

wait a 5th.

Keep pounding err Playing them until the head decides where to stop..

(Just kidding you have my sympathy)
If I keep at it long enough, I suppose it'll eventually make it all the way around until it's straight again. Except that would wreak havoc with my drum OCD.

Well I note your post is on the Death Star so maybe something about it's energy field is messing with your head? Something not right with the force-it's off balance. Has it done so with other heads?
Maybe it's the Force punishing me for not liking the Obi Wan series on Disney+

If I keep at it long enough, I suppose it'll eventually make it all the way around until it's straight again. Except that would wreak havoc with my drum OCD.

I think you should buck-up and see how far it goes. It would bother me too, but if I looked at it as an experiment, I could let it go and actually look forward to seeing how far it will spin. Will it keep going or will stop eventually? If it stops, then like the person in the thread Ronzo linked to, you just install it that far counterclockwise and then see if it stops on top.
It could be a fun experiment. We could even bet on how long it takes to make a lap, or where it will stop.

Then again, a BIG part of me really wants to know the cause. This stuff intrigues me. 🧐

I think you should buck-up and see how far it goes. It would bother me too, but if I looked at it as an experiment, I could let it go and actually look forward to seeing how far it will spin. Will it keep going or will stop eventually? If it stops, then like the person in the thread Ronzo linked to, you just install it that far counterclockwise and then see if it stops on top.
It could be a fun experiment. We could even bet on how long it takes to make a lap, or where it will stop.

Then again, a BIG part of me really wants to know the cause. This stuff intrigues me. 🧐
Sort of like a super slo-mo spin the wheel. Except there isn’t a prize — unless you count losing my sanity as a “prize”.

While I love experimenting, this isn’t one of those instances. I want to solve this issue asap.

Strange:(
Take it apart and do a full 10pt inspection.
You can narrow the issue down to a few things which should become obvious at some point during breakdown/inspections/re-assembly.

When I change heads I apply a very light coat of bees wax to the bearing edge. Keeps it conditioned and allows the head to move enough to seat but can add some stickiness which may help.
Yeah I'll try to get to that tonight. I'll report back with my findings.

I'm not going to try any beeswax just yet, I want to see if there's something else causing this. But if after my full 10-point inspection and recentering it starts to rotate again, I'll give that a shot.

Interesting that someone else had this issue, but it doesn't look like he was able to solve it.

Next time you re-center the head, maybe make a Sharpie mark on the metal hoop part of the head, right on top or at "12 o'clock". I am assuming it's not just the mylar film that's rotating, but this way you can be sure that it's the whole head and not just the film. If it was just the film, I would assume the head would be wonky on it's own.

Also, maybe try a spare head you might have lying around and tune it the same and see if it rotates too?

Is It Really A Problem? 😁

But let me think. It can't be the beater because it doesn't beat sideways. I'm sure the hoop rotates because the pedal rotates versus the drum. Or, more probably, the other way around -- the pedal will remain flat on the ground because you put your foot on it all the time. So you have to stop the base drum from rotating. That's what the spurs are for. Are your spurs OK and is the drum off the ground on the front side?

Last edited:
Keep a camera on the thing.

I just can’t imagine how this could happen, there should be enough friction to prevent movement. Or there’s some kind of hardware issue that is reducing tension on a strike, and the head creeps slightly with each it. Or the head is defective and not responding as excepted.

Or you have a haunted bass drum, IDK.

Keep a camera on the thing.

I just can’t imagine how this could happen, there should be enough friction to prevent movement. Or there’s some kind of hardware issue that is reducing tension on a strike, and the head creeps slightly with each it. Or the head is defective and not responding as excepted.

Or you have a haunted bass drum, IDK.
Or returning air pressure tries to escape through the bearing edge/head connection.

Is the reso ported? If not, try taking it off for a while and see if the problem persists.

Back