Blush-Da vs Flam Drag

pgm554

Platinum Member
Appears to be the same rudiment or am I missing something?

Traditional flam drags alternate while the blush seems to be played with non alternating right hand lead.
But I have seen notation of it being alternating too.
Neat rudiment ,but feels awkward by not alternating.

There seems to be some disagreement about what they are. Some people stick it like a Swiss Triplet with a drag in the middle:

1663869359954.png

Some people stick it like a same-handed Flam Drag:

1663869409466.png

Either way, they repeat on the same hand.

Flam drags alternate, they're Flam Accent #1s with a drag in the middle:

1663869903107.png

Attachments

• 1663869452265.png
    1663869452265.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 11
Two parts there be.

The "blush" and then the "da".

Rosy cheeks and baby talk.

There's also the Ya-Yo Gakk.

Todd --
Thanks for a great explanation.

Depending on the tempo and/or feel of the tune, I will pick either the Swiss Triplet approach (if the tune has more of a rolling feel) or the same-handed Flam Drag (if it's more rhythmical),

Todd---
A couple of quick questions:
1) Did you create all the example images?
2) If you did...the one I'm interested in is the same-handed Flam Drag (the one with the sticking on two lines). How did you do it? I use Finale Notepad (the free version). The Lyric tool works fine for single-line, but you can't have multi-line. The Text tool was a disaster trying to line things up. I then tried to use the Windows Snipping tool to copy it then paste into Power Point and add the sticking that way. That was a big "negatory" as well.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Todd---
2) If you did...the one I'm interested in is the same-handed Flam Drag (the one with the sticking on two lines). How did you do it? I use Finale Notepad (the free version). The Lyric tool works fine for single-line, but you can't have multi-line. The Text tool was a disaster trying to line things up. I then tried to use the Windows Snipping tool to copy it then paste into Power Point and add the sticking that way. That was a big "negatory" as well.

Interesting question. I'd like to see if Todd has an easier way of writing it - compared to the way I did it.

I have the full version of Finale. I was able to get the same effect using the following steps:

• Write the rhythm in layer 1
  • Write the exact same rhythm (on the same space) in layer 2 (adjust stem direction if necessary).
  • Type in the stickings for layer 1
  • You may have to drag the lyrics arrows so they don't overlap
  • Type in the stickings for layer 2
As with many things in Finale, there may be an easier way.

Jeff

Interesting question. I'd like to see if Todd has an easier way of writing it - compared to the way I did it.

I have the full version of Finale. I was able to get the same effect using the following steps:

• Write the rhythm in layer 1
  • Write the exact same rhythm (on the same space) in layer 2 (adjust stem direction if necessary).
  • Type in the stickings for layer 1
  • You may have to drag the lyrics arrows so they don't overlap
  • Type in the stickings for layer 2
As with many things in Finale, there may be an easier way.

Jeff
Jeff --
Thank you so much. I'm gonna give that a shot.
BTW...long time, no see. Welcome back! Missed your knowledge.

Well, I tried Jeff's suggestion, and here is where Finale Notepad is REALLY different than the full version. The lyrics on all layers are controlled by a controller on one side of the screen. So, when you move one "set" of lyrics, they all move. As expected, when I created the 2nd line lyrics of the exercise that I wanted, the lyrics overlapped. Even though i was working on the 2nd layer, the 1st layer lyrics moved along with the 2nd layer lyrics, so they remained overlapped.

So, I went back to my PowerPoint "solution". When I went to put in the stickings, I chose Courier New (a non-proportional font) and used the space bar to try to line everything up. It didn't turn out 1/2 bad. I just have to play around with the size of font to fine tune it.
Screenshot 2022-09-25 121732.png
In case you're interested the rolls are 5-stroke rolls (either buzz or double stroke, even though the exercise was "designed" for buzz rolls)

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Todd---

I didn't, I grabbed them off the net. But I write a lot of stuff. I use Finale, and I use articulations to do stickings-- here are the settings I use for creating/editing them as articulations:

todds-settings-for-stickings.png

It's still kind of a pain if you're using it on drum set, because it displays the sticking a certain distance from the note head-- I haven't figured out how to get them to render an equal distance from the staff-- if you're using more than one line you have nudge them around to read in a straight line.

While we're at it, I also do that for writing in the counts, above the staff-- here are the settings for that:

todds-settings-for-counts.png

Then you create articulations reading 1, 2, 3, 4, e, &, a, whatever else you need.

Thanks, Todd. Unfortunately, Finale Notepad doesn't have that capability. The only reason why I'm even pursuing the endeavor is because I have exercises that were given to me that date back to the 1970's that were written in pencil and have faded pretty badly. So, I want to preserve them while I can.

While the full version of Finale would make my life easier, I can't justify the cost for a one-off use. I'm retired, so my time is my time.

But thanks for detailed info anyway. That was very kind.

Jeff --
Thank you so much. I'm gonna give that a shot.
BTW...long time, no see. Welcome back! Missed your knowledge.
Thanks. I’ve been online - reading DW posts, but haven’t joined in much lately.

I like Todd’s way of using articulations for stickings (below the staff) and counts (above the staff). I never thought of doing it that way.

Jeff

Well, I tried Jeff's suggestion, and here is where Finale Notepad is REALLY different than the full version. The lyrics on all layers are controlled by a controller on one side of the screen. So, when you move one "set" of lyrics, they all move. As expected, when I created the 2nd line lyrics of the exercise that I wanted, the lyrics overlapped. Even though i was working on the 2nd layer, the 1st layer lyrics moved along with the 2nd layer lyrics, so they remained overlapped.
It may be the same with the full version too. The arrows on the LH side that control the lyric placement are a little quirky.

Jeff

Thanks, Todd. Unfortunately, Finale Notepad doesn't have that capability. The only reason why I'm even pursuing the endeavor is because I have exercises that were given to me that date back to the 1970's that were written in pencil and have faded pretty badly. So, I want to preserve them while I can.

While the full version of Finale would make my life easier, I can't justify the cost for a one-off use. I'm retired, so my time is my time.

But thanks for detailed info anyway. That was very kind.

No problem, you could also try Musescore, which is free.

I didn't, I grabbed them off the net. But I write a lot of stuff. I use Finale, and I use articulations to do stickings-- here are the settings I use for creating/editing them as articulations:

View attachment 124665

It's still kind of a pain if you're using it on drum set, because it displays the sticking a certain distance from the note head-- I haven't figured out how to get them to render an equal distance from the staff-- if you're using more than one line you have nudge them around to read in a straight line.

While we're at it, I also do that for writing in the counts, above the staff-- here are the settings for that:

View attachment 124670

Then you create articulations reading 1, 2, 3, 4, e, &, a, whatever else you need.

this also keeps the stickings uder the correct notes when you go to extract parts and isolate them

I wish I could assign hot keys to the R and L that I create, rather than clicking on each note that needs them

I downloaded MuseScore. It took longer for the download than it did to recreate the exercise above. Well...not really..but it was real quick and easy to start using it right away.
Special thanks go to (in alphabetical order):
Jeff
Seafroggys
Todd

You folks are THE BEST.

Back