Do mellow kits mic up better?

Then it's a matter of experimentation
I'm using coated G1 on all toms after using coated G14 for two years. Experimentation is one of the best parts about getting new heads. I need a lot of time and patience. Once I find a good note/tone on one of my toms, I go after the other three and see if I can mimic the feel of the first one. Currently I'm going for high and open. No more thud! But I'm also not recording or caring a whit about 10 second resonance decay.

I'm using coated G1 on all toms after using coated G14 for two years. Experimentation is one of the best parts about getting new heads. I need a lot of time and patience. Once I find a good note/tone on one of my toms, I go after the other three and see if I can mimic the feel of the first one. Currently I'm going for high and open. No more thud! But I'm also not recording or caring a whit about 10 second resonance decay.
Yep! I often make the mistake of watching YouTube vids about tuning rather than experimenting and learning myself. Just like I watch vids about practicing rather than practicing myself 😜

Do mellow kits mic up better than more "lively" drum sets?
I was wondering the Same thing. Thanks for saying it Pork pie guy! Have a Tama Starclassic Walnut birch kit and the Drums are very lively. I have Evans G2 heads on Batter and they Resonate so much. I have 2-4 Moongels on all Toms which helps tame the Resonance. I was considering switching to Evans Dry Genera heads to help with Miking. Has anyone tried Genera on Walnut Birch Shells?

I was wondering the Same thing. Thanks for saying it Pork pie guy! Have a Tama Starclassic Walnut birch kit and the Drums are very lively. I have Evans G2 heads on Batter and they Resonate so much. I have 2-4 Moongels on all Toms which helps tame the Resonance. I was considering switching to Evans Dry Genera heads to help with Miking. Has anyone tried Genera on Walnut Birch Shells?
I've used Genera batter heads on a few of my snare drums. It does a great job of attenuating high frequency overtones and it did curtail the resonance a bit. But the Genera is not nearly as dry as any of the vented heads.

For shortening decay, several here use products from Snareweight.

BY mellow I'm assuming you mean warm with some sustain. I try to find the right balance for the room.. I don't like mushy, dead sounding drums and I don't like drums that sound like canons piercing your ear drums.. so I go for a medium high tuning, not choked on the snare (G1 coated batter/ hazy 300 reso) - with a nice rimshot or crack when you need it.. and deep sounding toms that don't bleed into each other (evans G2 top/G1 bottom clears) (Bottom head at least a third above the batter head in pitch).
Apart from that in sound check I get my bandmates (who all want to be drummers) to play for a bit while I walk toward the back of the room to hear it through the FOH speakers.. because you know 'sometimes' the sound tech will not dial it in the way I like it.

The worst case I've ever run into - was a huge outdoor event that sounded great in sound check but at game time - the sound tech cranked the drums to sound like canons with reverb added on top.. sounded horrible! Hard to change things up at that point.. even when crowd members go to the sound booth and ask them to turn down the bass drum.. and the JA just smirks.. Fortunately those types don't last long in the business..

Back