Foote's Drum Shop

Pootle

Very sad to learn that Chas E Foote's is closing after 100 years, used to visit fairly regularly when I lived in London. Guessing another casualty of the very challenging economic times, post pandemic, but does anyone know anymore?

the end of the commerce between plebeians plan is right on-schedule

andy80.jpg

hey we had a good 125 year unbridled consumption run

Last edited:
Last edited:
can be in two places at once @Al Strange
on the one hand "Rome" is burning and the other hand is playing fiddle.
then again there will be a Sweetwater Global Internationale for all our instrumental needs
lab coats and all
; ) sorry - when I hear age-old businesses fail or disappear.
my issue sorry
(I go back a long ways (1948) 70 years in the commerce world)
010.JPG008.JPGamadiomotor67.jpg

old independent business closings..triggers me @Al

Last edited:
can be in two places at once @Al Strange
on the one hand "Rome" is burning and the other hand is playing fiddle.
then again there will be a Sweetwater Global Internationale for all our instrumental needs
lab coats and all
; ) sorry - when I hear age-old businesses fail or disappear.
my issue sorry
(I go back a long ways (1948) 70 years in the commerce world) and remember
View attachment 124354View attachment 124355

old business closings..triggers me @Al
Yeah, I felt like that when Premier closed the Blaby Road factory! 😭 These days I’m more like the band on the Titanic…keep playing until you can’t!:)(y)

I remember popping into the shop whenever I was in London for work about 20 years ago. Once I bought a beautiful Istanbul flat ride there, and then walking out with it there was a busking face-painted pantomime drummer who was frozen until someone put some money down. He smiled though when he saw me carrying the cymbal!

It IS 😥 sad. Back in the day the Foote's ad in Modern Drummer always jumped out at me. It just put an imprint on my brain. I hate change.

I don't think a drum shop has to be in central London, it only makes it harder to survive, and probably pushes their prices up.
I went to Foote's when it was in Golden Square, I didn't usually find much that I wanted and the prices were a little upper end.
I guess most drum shops sell 80-90% online.

I don't think a drum shop has to be in central London, it only makes it harder to survive, and probably pushes their prices up.
I went to Foote's when it was in Golden Square, I didn't usually find much that I wanted and the prices were a little upper end.
I guess most drum shops sell 80-90% online.

Ringo should buy the building and sell it to them for one pound. I assume the price of rent is what’s keeping them from being able to keep the storefront open.

Looks like Nick Mason was involved in the last move of location. He's probably got as much disposable cash as Ringo.
Lots of more mainstream retail are moving out of the city centres, where rents are super high. Drum shops don't need to be in the West End of London. My favourite drum shop was Pro Percussion in Kentish Town.

Looks like Nick Mason was involved in the last move of location. He's probably got as much disposable cash as Ringo.
Lots of more mainstream retail are moving out of the city centres, where rents are super high. Drum shops don't need to be in the West End of London. My favourite drum shop was Pro Percussion in Kentish Town.

They are very handy for the working drummers in London though.

Had to pop over to Denmark Street for some unplanned spares when working in the West End more than once

Admittedly the working drummers calling for odd items here and there aren’t going to keep stores up and running though.

Back