Dw 5000 accellerator uses.

Tiges

Silver Member
Its it just me or does this pedal take getting used to it seems like a lovely feeling pedal do you that use it enjoy there feel and overall performance.

Did you have a round cam before this? The feelings are quite different between round and accelerated cams.

It takes getting used to like anything. What I learned is it actually made a mess of my ability to get behind someone else’s kit, sit down and play. I just become dependent on the feel too much after a while. Probably as much difference in feel as going with a longboard pedal. With that, I’ve found the best pedal is the one you forget about. Like shoes, if you keep thinking about them, they are not the right shoes.

It takes getting used to like anything. What I learned is it actually made a mess of my ability to get behind someone else’s kit, sit down and play. I just become dependent on the feel too much after a while. Probably as much difference in feel as going with a longboard pedal. With that, I’ve found the best pedal is the one you forget about. Like shoes, if you keep thinking about them, they are not the right shoes.
Are you saying you like the 5000 accellarator?

Yes the 3000 turbo.
I'd give it at least a week. You might get used to it. You might hate it.

Whatever the result, you will have a personal opinion on the different cams now.

I'd give it at least a week. You might get used to it. You might hate it.

Whatever the result, you will have a personal opinion on the different cams now.
I have given it a few days and I don't like it ive decided my 3000 has turbo cams that should fit straight onto the 5000 the shafts are exactly the same correct ne if I can't do it?

I have given it a few days and I don't like it ive decided my 3000 has turbo cams that should fit straight onto the 5000 the shafts are exactly the same correct ne if I can't do it?
They should swap right over. You will have to completely disassemble both pedals, this includes one end of the chain. It's not hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. If you are not, take lots of pictures.

I think that even higher-end pedals take some getting used to. I’ve never met a DW pedal I didn’t like.

I think every pedal takes some getting used to mainly due to different spring tensions. But other than that, the DW 5000 is pretty middle-of-the-road imo. A pedal that's truly unique like the Speed King is harder to get used to.

I went from a Turbo in the 80’s to always using an Accelerator 5000, and now use 9000’s. Honestly, I think the older, single chain 5000 accelerator’s are the ones to get, and then just upgrade the hinge. That’s just what I like and have gotten used to for the past 30 years. The double chain 5000 just feels really heavy if you’re used to the old stuff. It’s popular tho, I get a lot as backline but always bring my own on the road.

There’s a new Bruce Becker strap drive as well that’s nice, just a little overpriced for an old fart like me.

Last edited:
Those old 5000s are the cat’s meow. It was my target pedal for some time. Every one I found was trashed, so I decided to just rebuild one, only to find out the jaws won’t open wide enough for my hoop with hoop protector. Major fail. Ended up with the basic Yamaha pedal and pleased with how similar it was to the older feathery light 5000s. From there I found one with a baseplate, and then ultimately the Flying Dragon I converted to strap drive. Ended up costing way less than even buying the old 5000, much less rebuilding it.

Only drawback…if you want the accelerator cam, it’s not available for the Yamaha, so pretty much stuck to the turbo equivalent.

The new 5000s will never be as fast as the old single chain, not even with a strap. Too much rotational weight in the parts and even the footboard is heavier. They certainly look cooler and void of the heel plate grinding pad, but can’t get close to the feel of the old Camco style.

I love mine. Have had it for over 10 years now & yes...it took a bit of breaking in before it did what I wanted. I will say that I added a Trick shaft to it last year and that made it even better.
Maybe if you change the beaters that might help? Be sure the joints are lubed up well too.

They should swap right over. You will have to completely disassemble both pedals, this includes one end of the chain. It's not hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. If you are not, take lots of pictures.
Update on that pedal I have swapped the turbo cam from the 3000 to the 5000 and its a much better feel just how I like it i got the guys at the drum store to do it thay were great they didn't even charge anything because I am a loyal customer of theres happy days.

I have the accelerator, with the beater retracted just a bit for my 20” bass drums.

Feels perfect to me, and gets a bit more volume out of the smaller drum.

Back