Shoulder Injury

What is the fix? Physical therapy?
My posture is a huge factor. I keep everything low so I'm not reaching up. Everything is also in front of me so I'm not really twisting.

My left arm up and forward causes issues. Sitting crooked causes issues. Driving causes issues. Sleeping causes issues.

I dont have problems doing things when standing as long as I'm not reaching over my head.

My wife tells me to go see a chiropractor. I'm not thrilled about that idea.

What a coincidence, only a few weeks after writing above that I used to have a torn supraspinatus that got better 8 years ago - it's back. Exactly the same as previously and probably the result of doing front raises with dumbells that were too heavy (why do we never learn? :confused:).

While at home I've taken to immobilising my left arm, just above the elbow, with a belt around my torso. This helps stops any painful movement. Overall I can still play drums ok wearing the belt, but need to learn to play more with the wrist, without shoulder movement.

Back to the physio for me.

A good chiro can make a world of difference. Something to keep mind: almost everyone has some tears in their shoulder and are asymptomatic.

One shoulder I had fixed with surgery by relocating the bicep tendon after it became too painful to ignore. It worked great, long recovery though.
The other I went easy on and wore this brace for a couple of weeks, and it's fine now.

Sleeping with arms propped up on pillows, especially in a recliner, provides great relief.
Good luck!

A good chiro can make a world of difference. Something to keep mind: almost everyone has some tears in their shoulder and are asymptomatic.

One shoulder I had fixed with surgery by relocating the bicep tendon after it became too painful to ignore. It worked great, long recovery though.
The other I went easy on and wore this brace for a couple of weeks, and it's fine now.

Sleeping with arms propped up on pillows, especially in a recliner, provides great relief.
Good luck!
Thanks for the tips! I have noticed (maybe because I am paying more attention now) that I have the same pains in my right arm as well. I think it is time I go sit with someone who knows more than me (shouldn't be hard to find) and let them observe me while I play. Maybe I have some obvious major posture flaws. It does seem odd, though, that I have never experienced these issues in the past..... Wait a minute...Am.... Am I getting....old....?

What a coincidence, only a few weeks after writing above that I used to have a torn supraspinatus that got better 8 years ago - it's back. Exactly the same as previously and probably the result of doing front raises with dumbells that were too heavy (why do we never learn? :confused:).

While at home I've taken to immobilising my left arm, just above the elbow, with a belt around my torso. This helps stops any painful movement. Overall I can still play drums ok wearing the belt, but need to learn to play more with the wrist, without shoulder movement.

Back to the physio for me.
Sorry to hear it, man. I literally feel your pain! I start physio next Tuesday. So, cheers to that I reckon!

There are many good physical therapy programs for your issue.

This one is excellent and easy to follow:

Oh, and the biggy, huge ice packs, as in full bags of ice, are your friend. Gotta turn that inflammation around.

Back