Show us your Four Piece Kits.

Kona, you've got some great sets!
Thanks for sharing them with us.
I like that stand too, although it appears a bit heavy.
Is that a Gretsch stand or something you pieced together?
The legs remind me of my old Gibraltar 9500 series cymbal stand.

Elvis
Yes... Gibraltar. I bought two of them....very heavy... for my 6pc Gretsch Purewood set when I bought the large Rack system. The tripods pictured here have two swivel and one stationary tube/stand placements. They're really solid but you don't want to be packing them around unless you're bigtime and you have good roadies :)
The other pictured is the Rack I had but mine had a lot more attachments and a second extention off the side of the main beam...two on one side and the one on one side you see here. I eventually sold it and bought 4 Gibraltar Jazz-lite cymbal stands. I kept the tripods and glad I did because I use them a lot.... only in my drum room.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-152621_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-152621_Chrome.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20210227-152814_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-152814_Chrome.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 3
Kona, you've got some great sets!
Thanks for sharing them with us.
I like that stand too, although it appears a bit heavy.
Is that a Gretsch stand or something you pieced together?
The legs remind me of my old Gibraltar 9500 series cymbal stand.

Elvis
I may have misunderstood. Were you referring to the stand my 6inch Gretsch tom and 10inch Gretsch snare are mounted to in another photo.... not the photo here showing the Cadillac Green tom?
This stand?

Attachments

• IMG_20210220_234617045.jpg
    IMG_20210220_234617045.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 15
Four-piece every time, all the time! When I was younger, I looked up to the big thousand-piece kits some of my favourite metal drummers had (think Lars Ulrich in the 80s or Joey Jordison), so I tried to mimic them quite a bit (who doesn't when being inspired to play drums by those guys?).

Over the years I found my own style and settled for a four-piece for over 10 years now. Even the new Starclassic Maple I bought just before Christmas 2020 (life-long dream of mine) I have specifically bought as a three-piece shell kit, knowing that the second rack-tom would only collect dust in the closet.

So here it is, my current setup on which I mostly play fast heavy Rock and Metal.

Tama Starclassic Maple 22x14/12x8/16x16 + Tama Starphonic 40th Anniversary Steel Snare; I'm an all Tama and Paiste guy nowadays (except for one old cymbal stand and the cowbell, which are Pearl).

starclassic_front.jpg
starclassic_top.JPG

Hello,
Just purchased a Pearl Masters Custom Mahogany Classic.
Shells are 5mm African Mahogany with reinforcement rings.

22 x 16

13 x 9

16 x 14

14 x 6.5 matching snare!!!!!

Finished in stunning champagne sparkle lacquer.
Photos will follow :)

That's the old MHX shell.
I got to sit behind one of those kits in the early 2000's.
That kit really drove home, to me, why the vintage guys are so adamant about Mahogany.
Gorgeous sounding kit.

Elvis

That's the old MHX shell.
I got to sit behind one of those kits in the early 2000's.
That kit really drove home, to me, why the vintage guys are so adamant about Mahogany.
Gorgeous sounding kit.

Elvis
Have you any info on how to find out the date of manufacture? Has the serial number got anything to do with it?

The only thing I can think of is to write to Pearl.
If there's any identifying marks (like a serial number on the badge), include them in your email.

Elvis

Thank you mate, but the Pearl forum is hard to join, became a member but never got the confirmation email so i can read but not ask questions.,
will keep trying, thanks for the positive comments on the drum set, its encouraging to know that i purchased ok.
Have also emailed Pearl no reply as yet :)

Four-piece every time, all the time! When I was younger, I looked up to the big thousand-piece kits some of my favourite metal drummers had (think Lars Ulrich in the 80s or Joey Jordison), so I tried to mimic them quite a bit (who doesn't when being inspired to play drums by those guys?).

Over the years I found my own style and settled for a four-piece for over 10 years now. Even the new Starclassic Maple I bought just before Christmas 2020 (life-long dream of mine) I have specifically bought as a three-piece shell kit, knowing that the second rack-tom would only collect dust in the closet.

So here it is, my current setup on which I mostly play fast heavy Rock and Metal.

Tama Starclassic Maple 22x14/12x8/16x16 + Tama Starphonic 40th Anniversary Steel Snare; I'm an all Tama and Paiste guy nowadays (except for one old cymbal stand and the cowbell, which are Pearl).

View attachment 101815
View attachment 101816
Nice setup! I like my big setup but I always come back to my 4pc and smaller drums... it just feels right for me :)
Your drums look beautiful too.

My 'large'.... larger... kit is Mahogany.
10 12 14 and 16 toms 5.5x14 snare 18x22bass. A fun kit to play and incredible tone. 2006 Gretsch Renown
Purewood African Mahogany. But this set is for another Thread :)
Just saying... Mahogany is nice too.
Here's another 4pc setup I have.
1968 Gretsch Sunset Satin Flame. It was a 5pc from the factory... Rock and Roll model with the two same-size rack toms but I prefer to play it as a 4pc.
See photo
8x12 tom 16 floor tom 14x20 bass drum. This came to me without the snare. I often use a 74 Gretsch SSB#1 metal snare with this setup. Works for me but the original snare was probably the 4160 metal shelled with the Lightening throwoff.

Attachments

• 60020690_454853375268618_7350638567766360064_n_454853361935286 (1).jpg
    60020690_454853375268618_7350638567766360064_n_454853361935286 (1).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That ^ is a cool kit with that Great Gretsch Sound. Peace and goodwill.

I guess I'll add my kit to the archive, so to speak. I added another crash cymbal yesterday so not quite the same photo I've been flogging for days:

20210309_144514.jpg

I have no doubt now after playing five, six and seven piece kits over the years, that a four piece is my absolute favourite. There's something reassuring about sitting behind one. I definitely feel calmer and more focussed while playing a four piece.

Last edited:
I guess I'll add my kit to the archive, so to speak. I added another crash cymbal yesterday so not quite the same photo I've been flogging for days:

View attachment 102109

I have no doubt now after playing five, six and seven piece kits over the years, that a four piece is my absolute favourite. There's something reassuring about sitting behind one. I definitely feel calmer and more focussed while playing a four piece.

I like the bass mounted Ride.

Can I ask why you chose AAX's? And how do you like them?
I choose Sabian actually ?

The AAX are their fast, bright and cutting line similar to A customs with brilliant finish and machine lathe. To make even more cutting, the raw dry bell process that AAX does works well, and looks killer contrasting the brilliance and rawness.

I love AAX line especially their older AAXplosion series from early 2ks.

I also have several AA’s, HHXs, an HH, and Paragon.

For the Pearl outfit being made of birch/mahog it’s a very fast sounding kit with initial attack and quicker decay.
I could have put a round of 20” crashes around the kit and change the sustain relationship.
Thanks for checking it out!

Back