Pearl or Taye?

Ricky006

Hi, I have a Pearl Export kit that im going to replace,very disappointed in the quality but what I'm looking at is a Taye Rock Pro set. I know that both kits are on the lower end of their manufacturer's lists. From what i can tell the Taye set is the better set. Can somebody please help me with knowledge or opinion? Thank you.

What is it about the Pearl Export kit that you do not like? I have owned a couple of them and play one at church. They seem to hold up well and can sound good if there are good heads on them. Peace and goodwill.

What is it about the Pearl Export kit that you do not like? I have owned a couple of them and play one at church. They seem to hold up well and can sound good if there are good heads on them. Peace and goodwill.
Thank you for your reply. Im not a fan of the imitation long double lug im sure thats not what its called but i think it should be 1 solid peice with a lug on each end for top and bottom heads. Not a 3 peice .i have some old Rockstars they have 1 solid peice its meaty.moving on i have been playing since i was in jr high and i have never had lugs just break like i have w these Pearls and im almost 60yrs old .moving on the double post tom mount is junk. i do like the way the pearls look but other than that im just disappointed in Pearl

I’d say it’s a “Taye” so either way you win.

I’ve got a new Export and have had no issues at all. Sounds like you’ve already made up your mind about the Pearl so not a lot anyone can say? :unsure:All the best, and keep smashing it. (y) :)

I played on several older Pearl export kits with that lug design. While I think it's dumb to have the three piece love like that just to make it look like a high-tension lug casting, and coupled with the fact that I don't care for pearls Tom holders I got to say that all of my experiences with the Pearl export have been good. I used to play on a pearl elx select. They were purple you could see the wood grain with natural finished Hoops on the kick. They were beautiful and sounded fine. So having said all that I think Pearl exports are fine drums

I owned a Pearl Forum series kit many many moons ago. Aside from the fact the wood was cheap and required every muffling device known to man to make them sound good, the kit itself was solid and well constructed. I've never had any complaints about Pearl's products. Matter of fact, @roncadillac is the only person I've known to have an actual manufacturing issue from Pearl.

I had a Taye, pronounced "Tie", set when I first got back into drumming. Absolutely nothing wrong with the set or for one to worry about. They make models in a wide range.

I don't like the Pearl 'L' rods when mounted out of the bass drum, it makes positioning the toms an absolute bitch (it's better if you just have a 1 up setup, as opposed to two rack toms).....but they are the sturdiest tom mounts in the business, and if you mount them on a stand, you're fine.

With that being said, 2/3 of all the drumsets I've ever owned have been Pearl. Hell, I just bought a set of Pearl marching tenors :p They make good drums.

Sonor is better though ;)

The pipe arm double tom holder has been around since the early 70s. It has a long history, is highly copied, is super sturdy, works just fine, and you dont like it. That does not make it junk.
All true. That said, I don't prefer it either. But to the OP Ricky006 - if you want a Taye RockPro kit, going used may be your only option, as I think Taye has ceased operations; although the website is still online and shows "© 2018 Taye Inc", it hasn't been updated in a while (November 12th, 2012), nor has their YouTube page (6 years). Last update to Facebook was over a year ago. I just sent a FB message inquiring about it.

Sound like you have the old "3-piece" long lugs. Yes..those are a pain.
I've owned a few of that Export vintage. There is a reason they sold so many!
I also own (currently) a Taye Pro-X. It's their version of an export, and I can say the hardware is very nice. The kit sounds great, too. It's all in the heads..
I vote for Taye.

I didn't realize Pearl made an "L-rod" mount. What line were those used on?

Edited for the grammar sensitive: On what line were those used? ;)

Assuming you're not taking the piss, that's probably not the name of the Pearl mounts. They're just shaped like L's I guess.

I like pictures, it avoids the confusion that comes from people who aren't so good with the words.

Attachments

• lrod.jpg
    lrod.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 1
  • pearl arm.jpg
    pearl arm.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1
Another vote for the Taye. For all the reasons you don't like the Exports, the Taye does sidesteps those issues.

I like pictures, it avoids the confusion that comes from people who aren't so good with the words.
I have one older Pearl Tom arm now the other I have Gyrolock -you use a key I like better larger range and control of position.

Back