What's your latest purchase?

Wow if this is a switch in heads it’s a major investment of money and time. I’m interested to hear what you think.
These are my first 2-ply heads in years (decades?). I had using clear G14 heads for a couple years, and before that, clear G1 heads.

The sound of the EC heads has less overtones, so the fundamental note is more prominent, more pure.

I’m also trying methods of natural gating. I don’t want a long decay, I want a short decay (short resonance) but with full volume (no blankets or moon gel). I’m currently trying cotton balls in the toms. It works flawlessly in all the toms except the 16”. I gotta dial in the amount of cotton balls in there. I’m also gonna try a small swatch of cotton batting. I’ll report back with my findings.

Last edited:
These are my first 2-ply heads in years (decades?). I had using clear G14 heads for a couple years, and before that, clear G1 heads.

The sound of the EC heads has less overtones, so the fundamental note is more prominent, more pure.

I’m also trying methods of natural gating. I don’t want a long decay, I want a short decay (short resonance) but with full volume (no blankets or moon gel). I’m currently trying cotton balls in the toms. It works flawlessly in all the toms except the 16”. I gotta dual in the amount of cotton balls in there. I’m also gonna try a small swatch of cotton batting. I’ll report back with my findings.
I recently put the EC resos on my toms and I couldn't be happier with them.

I had to get at least one more A&F snare so I settled on the A&F Maple/teak in chandler blue

F5809F81-DE16-4269-A313-CA760375E1A4.jpeg

AF3E73E0-213D-4073-927E-2B8C16340FD8.jpeg
this little bad boy is going to the office for some weekday rudimentary practice. Got it from a local shop that’s been around 30+ years called Dirt Cheep Music in Smyrna GA.

Good to see some A&F drums here. Got this today. 4.8 mm steel shell. Sounds awesome!!!

Nice!!

I want the bronze A&Fer so bad.

But I have a 5mm Cast bronze shell being built for me right now so I can justify it even though I want to so bad

There was a nice duluth snare on reverb this morning for $900.00. Didn't last very long.

I’m about 1000 invested in mine with hoops, shell, custom built lugs, strainer, butt plate.

But it will be cool to have a snare I put together and essentially designed

Came home with a 5 x 14 WFL III snare drum today . Maple/Poplar/Maple shell with reinforcing rings . Honey maple stain finish . It is a nice drum sounds great and Bill Ludwig III signed the inside .

Attachments

• 4192AFF1-D92D-42DA-9141-E19091F3B19D.jpeg
    4192AFF1-D92D-42DA-9141-E19091F3B19D.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
  • D4ABA5B0-1F98-402B-8F29-572A3B24CDBB.jpeg
    D4ABA5B0-1F98-402B-8F29-572A3B24CDBB.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 9
  • E0AB07E8-9CCA-453A-9E74-603A22D1241F.jpeg
    E0AB07E8-9CCA-453A-9E74-603A22D1241F.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 72776A91-A9D6-42BB-891D-593C9F0C0533.jpeg
    72776A91-A9D6-42BB-891D-593C9F0C0533.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 9
Thinking I’ve completed my snare drum collection with this one (outside of my Duluth bronze still being built).

This is my only birch snare.

Sonor SQ1 in matte black. 14x6.5

I opted for black instead of green which would match my kit.

I now have snares made of:
10 ply maple
Copper
Nickle over brass
Raw brass
Aluminum
Oak/maple
Walnut (steam bent)
Birch
1 mm bronze
3mm bell brass
A&F Raw Bras
Maple/Teak
5mm Bronze

9DBFD604-6C99-4B1B-A692-AD05F74CA42B.jpeg

I’m also trying methods of natural gating. I don’t want a long decay, I want a short decay (short resonance) but with full volume (no blankets or moon gel). I’m currently trying cotton balls in the toms. It works flawlessly in all the toms except the 16”. I gotta dial in the amount of cotton balls in there. I’m also gonna try a small swatch of cotton batting. I’ll report back with my findings.
Having only experimented with switching out the factory (shyte) heads and getting EC2S set for my 10, 12 and 16 toms I gotta say I like 'em. Am a little curious about the cotton ball theory...how many and such.

I have also been curious re: this cotton ball thing as my 16" tom is asking for experimentation imo, but I think I'll only do one thing at a time, and I'm already switching the plastic straps on my snare wires for ribbon so my hands are full atm. ;)

Having only experimented with switching out the factory (shyte) heads and getting EC2S set for my 10, 12 and 16 toms I gotta say I like 'em. Am a little curious about the cotton ball theory...how many and such.

Am a little curious about the cotton ball theory...how many and such.
My hobby is recording my drums. Alone or with backing tracks (some original, some not), it’s fun to make a drum kit sound a specific way.

In the past, my toms were never muted (clear G1 over genera) and they had a wide open tone with lots of sustain. The problem is sympathetic resonance: the overheads pick up the subtle hum of the toms when the bass is struck.

The EC heads and cotton balls (natural gating) are an attempt to get a clear note out of my toms while stopping the sympathetic resonance.

So far, my initial sandbox recordings with “dry” toms sounds good. The whole kit—as heard in the overheads—sounds tighter.

My two "good" snare drums are both inexpensive Yamaha drums also, and they both sound great to me, too.

Enjoy- your kit looks like fun waiting to happen. :)
Thanks! Yes I keep moving the cymbals lower and closer to the the drums. It’s really groovy and rolls with cymbals / fills are much more accessible this way
C8C897CE-A87B-43AF-9FAC-244055058DCD.jpegC8C897CE-A87B-43AF-9FAC-244055058DCD.jpeg

My hobby is recording my drums. Alone or with backing tracks (some original, some not), it’s fun to make a drum kit sound a specific way.

In the past, my toms were never muted (clear G1 over genera) and they had a wide open tone with lots of sustain. The problem is sympathetic resonance: the overheads pick up the subtle hum of the toms when the bass is struck.

The EC heads and cotton balls (natural gating) are an attempt to get a clear note out of my toms while stopping the sympathetic resonance.

So far, my initial sandbox recordings with “dry” toms sounds good. The whole kit—as heard in the overheads—sounds tighter.
So, you'd put like a half dozen or a dozen cotton balls inside the tom?, More/less?
I won't be recording any time soon, but I am getting overtones I would like to limit.

Back