Guitar Center bankruptcy

GC near me has a great drum department staff, though I only shop there in a pinch or for great deals. I do the majority of shopping and ordering from the family-owned business where I rent space to teach.

I feel sorry for "in-store" businesses because many seemed doomed now. I love the convenience of on-line but it's nice to have a local store to pick up something that day rather than wait-which now could be a good long wait with delivery issues. But the times are a changing-no more record stores, video stores, no more doctors making house calls, we replaced the horse and buggy with some thang called an auto-mobile. I remember when the wheel was a vast improvement-we can fly now-who needs them. Soon we wont even need our brain-because why strain it when others can do the "thinking" for you. LOL . It's insane for the sake of "money" we can have a global economy and get along for that but just to save humanity or the planet we can't get along for doodie. Companies come and go like everything I guess. Anyways so now is not a good time to seek employment at GC???????????
Damn, you must be older than me!

I remember when we first crawled onto dry land, and stretched our newly developed legs. Now nobody remembers how good we had it in the ocean: all the fish you can eat, freedom to swim in any direction, no freeway traffic, no chain stores going bankrupt, plenty of coral reef for everyone to shelter in. Young people now have no appreciation for the old ways.

Go support your nearest drum specialty store! There aren't too many around, so it might be a trip, but they usually make a point to have cool things in stock. I went on a road trip about a month ago, from NC where I live, up to Seattle, and stopped at Fork's, Rupp's, and Revival along the way. Would have stopped in at Rudy's in Seattle if we'd had another day. All the shops had great selections of cool stuff. I work for 2112 Percussion, and we have TONS of great stuff from most of the big manufacturers.

I wish there were. I'm in Atlanta. ATL Drum Collective closed shop 12/2018, and Atlanta Pro Percussion now only has a Reverb store page. I am in the market for a Paiste Giant Beat, but I need to listen to the dynamics of each cymbal in person for that kind of cash.

I will likely need to trek up to Memphis Drum Shop.

I wish there were. I'm in Atlanta. ATL Drum Collective closed shop 12/2018, and Atlanta Pro Percussion now only has a Reverb store page. I am in the market for a Paiste Giant Beat, but I need to listen to the dynamics of each cymbal in person for that kind of cash.

I will likely need to trek up to Memphis Drum Shop.

Yeah man, RIP Atlanta Pro. Got to visit a couple times during visits to my grandparents over holidays before they razed the building. I never got the chance to visit ATL Collective while they were open; their business hours always meant they weren't open when I could get downtown from Dunwoody.

Nashville has got to be a shorter drive than Memphis from Atlanta. Just straight up I-75 for four hours. I've only been to MDS once, back in 2014, but Fork's has as much selection as I remember seeing in Memphis, and has much less of a museum don't-touch-that vibe.

Nashville has got to be a shorter drive than Memphis from Atlanta. Just straight up I-75 for four hours.

Uh ... that'll get you to Knoxville. ? But 2 hrs up I-75 to Chattanooga then 2 hrs west on I-24 will get you to Nashville. Plus Nashville has some other neat drum shops as well, such as Nelson's.

But you are right, that is much shorter than the 6 hr Atlanta to Birmingham to Memphis drive. (not counting the 4 month delay you will have due to construction at the I-75 / I-24 interchange in Chattanooga)

I'm a GC employee and while I personally go out of my way to help every customer any way I can, it's unfortunately not the same for all of my coworkers. In GC's defense, it's pretty hard to get rid of employees for performance, you have to build a case against them and it takes months and months of not meeting goals for any action to be taken. I've seen customers get ignored, given misinformation, and just not treated how I'd want to be treated. It's hard to find employees that are going to go above and beyond for $10 an hour though. They need a whole restructure if they want to be around the next 5 years.

GC near me has a great drum department staff, though I only shop there in a pinch or for great deals.

You're in the 1% of GC's I've been to.

It's hard to find employees that are going to go above and beyond for $10 an hour though. They need a whole restructure if they want to be around the next 5 years.

Don't count on this happening if they don't get on board with doing like you said. And it's safe to say they won't as they haven't for a LONG time. My personal store hasn't had a drum department guy in over 3 years. They just don't care & that tells me any plan to get better just isn't in their interest.
Good riddance. Mom & pop stores are what matters to me (and many others).

Best thing GC has going for it is the used section on their website. You can find some major deals, but mostly because I think a lot of stores are just really ignorant about drums and what different kits are actually worth. Which is honestly probably part of the problem with their business practice, lol.

I'm only about the local shops (if they're around). I have 2 here in town & only one is really on top of things drum wise. The other is a guitar shop that dabbles in drums & you can tell they're less than interested.
I hit Salt City Drums in Salt Lake City twice a year as those guys are the quintessential stop for me when I visit family there. Their stock is awesome & can get me what I need if they don't have it before I leave with the price I want within reason.
Worth the 800mi. travel every time.

Last edited:
Back