A couple of rare snare drums

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I've written about my Legend, but I thought the story and pics are pretty cool, so here goes:

So, a good friend of mine with whom I work let me borrow a rare, out-of-production Legend phosphor bronze snare drum. I play it, and I really like it. After a couple of attempts to buy it off of him in which he declines, I do a search online. There is a total three for sale in the USA, and one of the sellers is in my hometown of all places! Within a few hours, a deal is made. So here are a few pics of my friend's snare drum (on the left) and mine (on the right). It’s really cool to have a rare instrument, but it’s even cooler to have two in your possession for a little while. I’m very happy to have mine. I'm curious as to the last time two of these were in the same room together.

121537323_3889132747781724_132561572321988296_n.jpg

121645000_3889132817781717_7270392815625274814_n.jpg

121522691_3889132851115047_4235366892535495054_n.jpg

Very nice! How does it sound?

It sounds good. I wanted a snare that sounds good at outdoor gigs, a snare that I wouldn't have to "press into" as much as my Pearl Masters snare for outdoor/louder shows. I think it does a pretty good job! I like how it has a nice volume, is sensitive enough for ghost notes, but also warm enough to not hurt your ears. I'm happy with it.

I don't know if this link will work or not. If it does, it's not the best audio quality, but I like how the cross-sticking comes through.

From Colorado (not sure if reference will be understood):
Very nice score and I love a good ending!

If it’s country - then the bronze is the way to go.

I have mine tuned down low and it handles with ease. As I’ve said about mine is it lives in the mid - low range. Reminds me of 80s country music snares, especially when muffled.

From Colorado (not sure if reference will be understood):
Very nice score and I love a good ending!

If it’s country - then the bronze is the way to go.

I have mine tuned down low and it handles with ease. As I’ve said about mine is it lives in the mid - low range. Reminds me of 80s country music snares, especially when muffled.

I’d like to get one of those big fat snare drums for it just to see what it’s like.

Pork yours on the right looks better-I bet it plays better too LOL. Man those are beautiful snares-what's the size? Can't see heads-they new or need new ones? Have you confused the two-I can see me fiddling with them both and then confusing which is which LOL.

I've written about my Legend, but I thought the story and pics are pretty cool, so here goes:

So, a good friend of mine with whom I work let me borrow a rare, out-of-production Legend phosphor bronze snare drum. I play it, and I really like it. After a couple of attempts to buy it off of him in which he declines, I do a search online. There is a total three for sale in the USA, and one of the sellers is in my hometown of all places! Within a few hours, a deal is made. So here are a few pics of my friend's snare drum (on the left) and mine (on the right). It’s really cool to have a rare instrument, but it’s even cooler to have two in your possession for a little while. I’m very happy to have mine. I'm curious as to the last time two of these were in the same room together.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Legend drums - I bet that sounds great though. Yours looks like it's in better shape than your friend's - way to go!

Man - it would take everything in me to not throw some die cast hoops on that to see how it sounds haha.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Legend drums - I bet that sounds great though. Yours looks like it's in better shape than your friend's - way to go!

Man - it would take everything in me to not throw some die cast hoops on that to see how it sounds haha.

Legend drums weren't around for very long. I think they were put out by a pre-Gretsch Kaman. Here's a drum thread on them: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/anyone-know-the-story-about-legend-drums.81904/

I may consider die cast hoops on them just for kicks if I can find some for cheap. I love the die cast hoops on my Pearl snare.

Legend was a top-tier brand launched back in the late eighties by Kaman Music Corp. These included a range of snare drums including thin maple shells, brass shells, phosphor bronze shells and a thick 20-ply maple shell. John Roderick masterminded the new drum line and Joe Montineri was the Production Manager. I've heard that Joe and his brother did all the assembly of these drums before parting ways with Kaman. Legend's best known endorser was drumming great Harvey Mason who spoke very highly of their live performance and recording qualities. Legend drums were very nice drums noted for their attention to detail, good design, and rich sound, but they never sold well and were deemed an unprofitable line. Drummers pretty much overlooked the brand and they were only made for a short span into the 1990's. Unfortunately, in one of your typical corporate decisions based solely on return, Kaman figured the drum set market was saturated and that they wouldn't be able to compete. They decided to discontinue the Legend drum line altogether. Tommy Wells, Nashville session drummer, notes "Kaman needed to show a good bottom line to help with the acquisition of a military contract. So, Legend drums were given the axe. Kaman is a manufacturing company that makes it's big money in military contracts." One of their major contracts was producing helicopter blades, and that technology was ultimately integrated into their production of guitars. Kaman was able to use the same materials that they used in manufacturing helicopter blades to building the rounded backs of Ovation guitars. The Legend drums went through several badging design changes which are a good indicator what year a particular drum was actually assembled/produced. I've heard that before Kaman officially jumped ship on the Legend drum line employees were assembling drums--without badges--as quickly as possible to get as many drums out into the market before Legend went under.

LegendDrumAd 2.jpeg

There are two bronze models now on Reverb I noticed.

One with die cast hoops (and without badge), and one regular one with a die cast at the bottom.

There is also a full kit with snare (also with die-cast hoops).

Funny that they even used two different badges randomly on their ad.

The Legend drums went through several badging design changes which are a good indicator what year a particular drum was actually assembled/produced. I've heard that before Kaman officially jumped ship on the Legend drum line employees were assembling drums--without badges--as quickly as possible to get as many drums out into the market before Legend went under.

I was curious as to why mine didn't have a badge. This explains a lot!

Pork yours on the right looks better-I bet it plays better too LOL. Man those are beautiful snares-what's the size? Can't see heads-they new or need new ones? Have you confused the two-I can see me fiddling with them both and then confusing which is which LOL.

I went ahead and put a coated ambassador on the batter. I tried new snare wires and a new head on the bottom, but I ended up putting the old one back on. Upon thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it was the "upgraded" PureSound wires that were giving me problems. I wrote about it here: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums...ap-heads-and-snare-wires.172091/#post-1736052

I miss that thread-those really are beautiful snares. I'm curious why you picked bronze or did you hear this model Legend and that "sound" sold you? I understand ,though articulate like brass and warm like maple, they can be loud-which is a positive trait if so ?

I miss that thread-those really are beautiful snares. I'm curious why you picked bronze or did you hear this model Legend and that "sound" sold you? I understand ,though articulate like brass and warm like maple, they can be loud-which is a positive trait if so ?

I got it because I've been playing a lot of outdoor gigs, and I feel like I was having to play my Pearl Masters a little to hard. I wanted something I could "play" as opposed to just hit, you know? Ghost notes can get lost on it when we are outside. I know we have mics and whatnot, but the PB Legend snare has a good amount of throw to it, and the mic doesn't have to be as hot to pick it up. I also wanted something deeper than a 5.5". My next snare will probably be a 14 x 8, preferably a Ludwig.

Love the design of the lugs, reminds me of those old mics

Kaman is a manufacturing company that makes it's big money in military contracts." One of their major contracts was producing helicopter blades, and that technology was ultimately integrated into their production of guitars.

Now I want a snare shell made from helicopter blades...

Back