anyone ever tape over a 5-inch bass drum hole?

I wonder if @BenOBrienSmith has tried this? :unsure:
I have! It's been almost 10 years since I did it but I was curious to see if taping polyester film back over the port would sound enough like a full head. It was decent but not the same. Could work in a pinch (I'm thinking studios that never seem to have full reso heads...).

I have! It's been almost 10 years since I did it but I was curious to see if taping polyester film back over the port would sound enough like a full head. It was decent but not the same. Could work in a pinch (I'm thinking studios that never seem to have full reso heads...).
That’s awesome mate! Why am I not surprised?! ? (y) ? ?

in
I've thought about doing this or cutting the top off of a round Tupperware container and adhering that to the porthole. You could then put the lid on when you want to close it.

This is genius! Like some strange new emad.

I have’t taped over one 5” hole, but I have taped over six 0.75” holes. Does that count?

Placed around the perimeter, small holes have the same feel as porting but leaves loads of the reso intact so it resonates like an unported head. If you want a ported sound put a felt strip on the reso. If you want the unported feel, just a bit of removable masking tape over the holes does it with negligable change in sound. Of course, you can only get very small mics into the bass drum through the holes so might not work for the studio?

You mean like this?
davewecklstevemaher2.jpg

It’ll never work...

in

This is genius! Like some strange new emad.
Thanks, but it is possible I may have read about it somewhere now that I think about it. I do not remember when the idea struck me, so it may have been something I read on this forum.

As has been pointed out, you cannot un-port a head. The issue is one of tension uniformity and not simply adding an air barrier. The workaround is simply to swap out heads between ported/unported.

I find it humorous that head swappers are mischaracterized as "tinkerers" in an earlier post, and gaffer-tape applicants are presented as being the status quo searching for a solution.

As has been pointed out, you cannot un-port a head. The issue is one of tension uniformity and not simply adding an air barrier. The workaround is simply to swap out heads between ported/unported.

I find it humorous that head swappers are mischaracterized as "tinkerers" in an earlier post, and gaffer-tape applicants are presented as being the status quo searching for a solution.
I’m a head swapper...it only takes 10 mins? ?

Back