What's a piece of drum gear that you like the IDEA of having it, but you have reservations or simply no use for it?

I like the idea of possessing at least one non-crash accent cymbal for use in songs that simply don't need a second crash. A bell, a splash, a china, an EFX, etc.

While I'm against the idea of having to buy them all, I've never seem to have the right one for any project I'm working on. This results on the predictably hilarious situation in which I have a bunch of odd cymbals I almost never use.

Almost any hand percussion. Congas, bongos, timbales, shakers, you name it. I have seldom been able to work that stuff into a practical playing situation with a drum set.

I do lots of recording and production work, so I overdub percussion a lot, which is where I mainly use them.

Also for musical gigs too.

A 24” bass drum. The place where my band rehearse has a battered old Tama Superstar kit which has one and it’s a beast. I would love one myself, just such fun to play and sit behind but I know I’d regret it the moment I need to move it. I google “gretsch add-on 24”prices nearly every night I get home after playing it.

Mine is the Sonor Artist Series Bronze Snare

It’s absolutely beautiful. And also cost as much as my Ludwig Classic Oak kit for just a snare.

I also want a Danny Carey sonor snare really bad but just can’t picture my self paying the price.

I have snares made of brass, maple, BNOB, copper and Aluminum. But bronze is one on my list

Last edited:
For me it's this Mike Mangini "Golden Ratio" 10x6.2" snare I found on Craigslist for a good price a few months ago. It sounds great and it looks great too...but will I ever truly use it?

I actually bought it with the intent to sell it on Reverb, but after playing it and seeing how well-built it is, I dunno what I'm gonna do with it. That's a good problem to have I guess?

4IM6dXa.jpeg

For me it's this Mike Mangini "Golden Ratio" 10x6.2" snare I found on Craigslist for a good price a few months ago. It sounds great and it looks great too...but will I ever truly use it?

I actually bought it with the intent to sell it on Reverb, but after playing it and seeing how well-built it is, I dunno what I'm gonna do with it. That's a good problem to have I guess?

4IM6dXa.jpeg
LOL Yeah I have a 12 inch that I never use and I still look at 10 and even 6 inch snares. Both wouls be fun for a couple hours and then years later I'd find them and think, Oh yeah, I remember this. I'm the same way with china cymbals. I have one and never use it.

A third tom tom? I'll still buy a 13" when I find one to match my set, but I'll probably rarely take it on a gig.

For a while I was checking out really small ride cymbals-- like 16-17". Would've been great if I was playing with a group that was doing a lot of Brazilian tunes.

I would be into getting a concert tom set if I were playing more funk. I would grab an 8 and 10" set if I found one to match either of my sets.

For me, it's easily specialty cymbals.

I love bells, stacks, chinas, pangs, and any other non standard cymbal. I'd love to have tons of each of them.

But outside of having one main china, I don't really need or use the few specialty cymbals I have, and I certainly don't need more of them. But I rarely meet an unusual cymbal I don't like.

I often think about a reverse chinese to get an accent cymbal but I would end up having ideas for it probably. I don't buy anything because I already can't handle a 4 piece kit with 2 cymbals and a hi-hat.

A DW 16x10 ballad snare. I can get great low-end from standard size snares witha cutout and/or muffling, but one of those glorious bastards would be, well, glorious.

I was going to mention a pandeiro, but that's on the way soooo...

It really makes me sad to see so many people say double pedals. Knowing there are all those lonely single pedals out there really gets to me. This must be what normal people feel when they see those Sarah Mclachlan animal cruelty commercials. Can I fund raise for you guys? (Cue sad music about angels and toll free number) “This pedal will never know what it’s like to blast 16ths at 240bpm. With your help and only pennies a day, you can end single pedal loneliness. If you have or know a slave pedal that is being neglected, please do the right thing and adopt it out to a metal-head. Give it the life it deserves.” (Sad angel music fades)

A 24” bass drum. I like the aesthetic and sound but I never tried one so I don’t know if I would feel comfortable behind it.

Always asked myself about a rack. I like the practical aspect and the consistency of setting up, but never dared to get one.

Second bass drum. The feel of centred aligning on the kit is very tempting. I'd also be tempting with on of those dual offset pedals to create the feel of two drums, but I already have an expensive double pedal I use.

I want an aux Hi-Hat for playing closed hats while playing double pedal, but that's a space issue for me. Might get a stand if I move rooms ever, I've already got backup-hats :)

Double bass pedal - sold that within a month.
Splash cymbal - lent it to someone for five years, now its sits in my cupboard.
K Custom Rides - a Session and a Regular - heavy, dead, lifeless, never use them. Lent one to a uni student. Other one sits in the cupboard.
Found a larger matching bass drum for my main kit. Used it once 8 years ago. Now it sits next to the cupboard.

Back