Large diaphragm overhead mic for $150?

Andrew RS

I'm going to make my first attempt at recording my drums at home, in a very small room of about 3x3, I don't intend to get professional results, I just do it as a hobby and I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it, but anyway, I want a microphone for $ 150 to use as overhead, and sometimes for vocals and acoustic guitars, in articles that recommend Audio-technica at2035.

Which microphone do you recommend?

Is an at2035 ok ?, is an MXL V67i better?, Neat King Bee?, or an omnidirectional like the Akg p420? (Although it costs a little more, would you buy it if it was really worth it) or another microphone?

This is written with G translator, sorry for the English

Last edited:
If you could find a used Aston Origin mic for $150 I think you'd be a happy camper using it as an overhead mic.

Attachments

• AstonOriginLoRes.jpg
    AstonOriginLoRes.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1
The AT2035 will work well for drums.

Audio-Technica AT2035 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone Features:
  • Large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound and low noise
  • High SPL handling and wide dynamic range
  • Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
  • Polar pattern: Cardioid
  • Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
  • Low-frequency roll-off: 80Hz, 12dB/octave
  • Impedance: 120 ohms
  • Maximum input sound level: 148dB SPL, 1kHz at 1% T.H.D.; 158dB SPL, with 10dB pad (nominal)
  • Switches: Flat, roll-off; 10dB pad
  • Weight: 14.2 oz
  • Output connector: Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
  • Accessories: Shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter; soft protective pouch
  • Requires +48V phantom power

The AT2035 will work well for drums.

Audio-Technica AT2035 Large-diaphragm Condenser Microphone Features:
  • Large diaphragm for smooth, natural sound and low noise
  • High SPL handling and wide dynamic range
  • Element: Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser
  • Polar pattern: Cardioid
  • Frequency response: 20Hz-20kHz
  • Low-frequency roll-off: 80Hz, 12dB/octave
  • Impedance: 120 ohms
  • Maximum input sound level: 148dB SPL, 1kHz at 1% T.H.D.; 158dB SPL, with 10dB pad (nominal)
  • Switches: Flat, roll-off; 10dB pad
  • Weight: 14.2 oz
  • Output connector: Integral 3-pin XLRM-type
  • Accessories: Shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; 5/8"-27 to 3/8"-16 threaded adapter; soft protective pouch
  • Requires +48V phantom power
2035 will cope with extremely loud sounds - better than the 2020 which still handles drums easily. Don’t use an omni - you’ll get too much room sound and more cymbals than drums.

Neat Mics King Bee is about as good as it gets for that money, designed by Skipper Wise of BLUE Microphones. Should be super low noise too, a big BLUE trait.

I'm an AT2020 user. I have no regrets and would have picked up the 2035 if budget had allowed for it.

Whether it be an AT 20XX, or AKG PX20, or Shure PGA27.... Just get as large a diaphragm as you can that can handle high SPL at what your budget allows.

I also want to point out that this is a golden era for cheap mics. LDC's used to cost thousands of dollars back in the 80's/90's. I would have killed for an AT2020 back in ~90'... uphill, both ways, in 2' of snow.

I'm an AT2020 user. I have no regrets and would have picked up the 2035 if budget had allowed for it.

Whether it be an AT 20XX, or AKG PX20, or Shure PGA27.... Just get as large a diaphragm as you can that can handle high SPL at what your budget allows.

I also want to point out that this is a golden era for cheap mics. LDC's used to cost thousands of dollars back in the 80's/90's. I would have killed for an AT2020 back in ~90'... uphill, both ways, in 2' of snow.
You can still spend thousands, if you want ;) I'd still love either a Telefunken U47 or an AKG C12. Finding the $10K in pocket change is a little rough right now.

You can still spend thousands, if you want ;) I'd still love either a Telefunken U47 or an AKG C12. Finding the $10K in pocket change is a little rough right now.

Indeed, I'm also still saving for that "one good mic", but it is in the procurement queue behind a Yamaha keyboard. The issue with the mic is that I'm a guitarist most of the time, and need to find a mic that is useful for guitar, drums, and vocals... Probably a Royer 121.

Indeed, I'm also still saving for that "one good mic", but it is in the procurement queue behind a Yamaha keyboard. The issue with the mic is that I'm a guitarist most of the time, and need to find a mic that is useful for guitar, drums, and vocals... Probably a Royer 121.

+1 for the AT 2020 or 2035. These are both solid "do-it-all" LDCs that won't break the bank.

Back