Recent content by zenghost

1. Z

Craviotto Drum Kits

Owned three Craviotto kits. First was a sparkle lacquered Walnut in 10/12/15/20. Second was a 12/15/20 maple in satin oil. Third was a 12/15/20 mahogany. All were fine kits, superb craftsmanship though I did not care for the tube lugs. Soundwise, they were not outright sonically superior in...
  2. Z

Have you owned/gigged an aluminum INDē WaFarer kit?

Way late to the party, but this thread is somewhat comical to me in that the INDe brackets are designed to be set once for a given set-up with subsequent use involving only the wing-nut for set-up/tear-down. There should be no reason to be adjusting anything with a drum key after the initial...
  3. Z

Ludwig Drum kits - your favourite line

Right on sir - admittedly, I had slightly lowered my expectations for build quality on my CM kit. I figured for the price I was paying, it might be lacking a tad compared to the SQ2 kit I had owned, and that was ok. Shame on me, the CMs blew me away, particularly the shell construction (very...
  4. Z

Ludwig Drum kits - your favourite line

I have a relatively recent Classic Maple build in birds-eye, and they are fine drums - great build quality (surprisingly good in fact - watch out German-made Sonor), looks, and versatility in sound - no regrets. The price is right as well. However, based solely on sound, I have to go with the...
  5. Z

GoAndPractice

Nice stuff - I have Alec's book 3 and enjoy working the material - very cool, and musically useful ideas - not a bunch of hyper-contrived technical exercises.
  6. Z

Question for the People Playing 4 Piece Drum Sets- Sizes

A 12/15/20 configuration is by far my favorite for a versatile set-up (along with a 14" snare of some sort). A 15" floor tom is simply the diameter where I feel floor toms should start in size for me. I prefer the slightly lower reach and feel of a 15" over a 14" and over the feel of a 16" for...
  7. Z

Got my new Sonor SQ1's today....Meh..

My SQ2 kit was flawless, edges and finish inside and out - possibly the best edges I had ever seen or felt. My Vintage Series kit (German-made) had rough bearing edges in places, tiny bubbles of hard material at some places on the bearing edges. The interiors were rough in some places and you...
  8. Z

Porter & Davies??

I acquired a demo P&D Gigster unit from a distributor several years ago - a guilty pleasure perhaps, but well worth the investment in my view. I have my practice booth kit mic’ed with a couple overheads and a bass drum mic and use those inputs to feed signal from all the drums to the P&D...
  9. Z

INDe's New Ultralight Aluminum Floor Tom Legs

My Jenkins-Martin kits are built using INDe lugs and brackets, so I am a fan of much of what INDe has to offer. I am glad to see Josh offering some new options in this area. I currently use DW aluminum floor tom legs on all my kits with great results and see no compelling reason to switch. The...
  10. Z

Thoughts on a 20" vs. a 22" Bass Drum for Live Playing?

This - and yes, J-M shells are remarkable. I have several J-M set-ups, including one with a 22", but I'll typically take one of the 20" BDs all day long over a 22" because it permits the set-up positioning and has the responsiveness I prefer. Still, having a J-M 22" as an option certainly...
  11. Z

Aquarian Superpad Won’t Fit 20” Gretsch Kick Drum

If it is the claws preventing proper installation/uninstallation, I had a similar issue with a 20" Superpad on my bass drum when I had a Sonor Vintage Series kit. The claws prevented the Superpad from being installed completely as it could not get clearance to get past the claws - claw over-hang...
  12. Z

Jenkins-Martin / INDe collaborative build

I wanted to post something about a kit I recently received. It is a collaborative build between Jenkins-Martins (seamless spun fiberglass shells) and INDe. I spec'd the custom order late last year. Sizes: 12x7.5 15x13 20x13 I was able to custom spec the glitter finish through collaboration...
  13. Z

Need cymbal storage solution

Easy - acoustic guitar stand I use a K&M for their build quality - various models are available. You can likely find similiar less-expensive models as well. I have been very pleased using these for cymbals stands. More info here...
  14. Z

Oriollo

With all the excitement, or possibly even the lack thereof, with the drum developments for NAMM 2017, I thought it would be nice to mention one of the companies that while not displaying at the NAMM show, is making waves with innovations and value in an extraordinary line of seamless metal snare...
  15. Z

Tama bass drum tom holder mount/base - measurement requested

Is there is anyone out there with a newer Tama kit with a bass drum tom holder mount/base installed for use with a Tama tom holder? If so, I'd greatly appreciate if you could get a fairly precise measurement on the distance from the bass drum's batter head/edge to the center of the 1" post hole...
Back