Recent content by Trickroll

1. Trickroll

Bob Moses

I learned a lot from Bob while attending the Creative Music Studio in the mid-70's. He was very giving of his time and inspiring to be around. And of course his playing is amazing.
  2. Trickroll

Ever take a piece of equipment you only play once during gig?

A gong. small, portable vibes and marimbas.
  3. Trickroll

So what is it with the cheaper snare drums?

I’ve used cheap metal drums that were fine. And encountered some that were not so fine. Same with more expensive drums. but an interesting thread. I wonder if the cheaper drums are builtto the same tolerances as more expensive drums. A little slop in the diameter, depth, snare beds, etc...
  4. Trickroll

The Death Of The Drumstick?

The solution is mostly developing the technique to play softer. Keep your sticks lower and practice playing quietly but with intensity.
  5. Trickroll

Your Paiste Cymbal Rig

Current: 18" Thin 602 Flat Ride 16" Paper Thin 15" 602 Sound Edge Hats 16" Prototype China 11" Traditional Splash Others: 18" Medium 602 Flat 18" 2002 Flat 16" 602 Flat 16" Prototype China 14" Traditional Hats 14" 2002 Sound Edge Hat Bottom 15" Traditional 16" Traditional 18" Traditional 18"...
  6. Trickroll

Emotional Shock That Disrupted Drumming

Like all of sudden there's no audience? I'll show myself out.
  7. Trickroll

your most favorite bassist/drummer rhythm section

DeJohnette and Holland
  8. Trickroll

Celebrating LA’s “Mellow Mafia” with Russ Kunkel

There was another side to those guys... The Section | Forward Motion
  9. Trickroll

Peter Erskine's Tama Signature Snare Drum

I love this drum. Reminds me of my first drum - a Slingerland Hollywood Ace - but more open. My favorite snare strainer, too.
  10. Trickroll

4 Piece Jazz kit

Inde
  11. Trickroll

Kits, snares, or cymbals you'd like to try out

Sonor SQ2 Beech Bop Kit Craviotto Cherry 12/14/20 Rogers Vintage Kit - any sizes Also curious about GMS and Noble and Cooley kits and would like to do a shoot out with a bunch of solid shell snares
  12. Trickroll

I'm Becoming a Flat Ride Junky.

Flats have been an obsession for me for years. Nine on hand currently. Most recent addition is an 18" Paiste 602 Thin. My favorite at the moment. Some very nice pies presented in this thread!
  13. Trickroll

Foo Fighters Back in 2023 — Who’s the Drummer?

Josh can cover almost any gig
  14. Trickroll

Older players - gear and other changes you've made?

My only recent [though gradual] gear change has been to my cymbal setup. I've been using flat rides for my primary ride and smaller/lighter crash cymbals. I think it's related to changes in my hearing. Can't really hear passed the overtones and wash of my regular rides anymore.
  15. Trickroll

Does anyone here mix...

If I play a mixed set it's usually only due to the addition of a specialty cymbal - splash, china, or swish. I've always preferred to keep things 'in the family'. These days, I believe the decline of my hearing is affecting my selection of cymbals. Not as fond of ride cymbals with big...
Back