Recent content by TreyCross

1. T

Solo Over Caravan from a Living Room Gig

Hey guys! A few weeks ago I got tired of not gigging so I put together a show in my apartments living room. I got together a few buddies and played an hour set, ending with this solo! I've always struggled with soloing and I gotta say I like this one! Thanks for checking out out!
  2. T

Converting a kids toy drumset into a gig ready kit (and how to convert a 13 inch tom into a floor tom)

Hey guys! This isn't really a recent project (i've been using the kit for over a year) but I finally put the process together into a blog, I know floor tom to bass drum conversions and hanging tom to floor tom conversions are pretty common topics around here, but I haven't seen a ton of...
  3. T

1953 Gretsch Restoration

Hey all! With all the extra time I had, I finally did a project I've been wanting to do for ages. Hope this helps somebody with a similar drum get it looking and sounding great! https://www.treycrossmusic.com/single-post/2020/04/01/Restoring-a-1953-Field-Drum
  4. T

Practicing the Right Way

Yeah man absolutely. I hope I didn't come off as anti-book or anything, I actually love a lot of books. I just think, like you, after a developmental period, it's really important to base your practice on observation.
  5. T

Practicing the Right Way

That's a good point. My reasoning is that even though it isn't creative, it's such an organic way to learn that it seems to be more right brained than left. As somebody who always practiced in a really left brained, mechanic way, lifting things right off the record without writing them down was...
  6. T

Practicing the Right Way

Hey, thanks for reading!
  7. T

Practicing the Right Way

I think it's totally important! It seems like all my favorite drummers say they've gone through a long period of playing along with records. It's got to be a balance though I think, like I said in the article if you only play with records you might be playing the same stuff you always play and...
  8. T

Practicing the Right Way

Hey all! Here's a write up I made talking about practicing in both a creative and analytical way. I hope it helps somebody, thanks for reading! https://www.treycrossmusic.com/single-post/2019/12/23/Practice-With-Both-Sides-Of-Your-Brain
  9. T

Show Us Your Set List

Here's the setlist I use with my own trio. It's changes depending on who's in the group but this is the meat and potatoes of the night usually
  10. T

Some cocktail hour playing- Brushwork and a solo over a Latin vamp

Yeah man a good majority of my gigs are brushes for at least the first hour or two if not all night. I love brushes!
  11. T

Some cocktail hour playing- Brushwork and a solo over a Latin vamp

Hey guys! Played the other night at a nice little venue the next town over and was able to get a few clips somebody might enjoy. The first is some brushwork over the tune "Tenderly" and the second is a short solo over a vamp on a Latin version of "Killer Joe". Thanks for checking it out!
  12. T

Glockenspiel in Orchestra - 1 or 2 Mallets?

I can't imagine a TON of reasons to choose to use one mallet? That part is clearly written for two. Honestly unless I had to play tambourine or something with my other hand, I'd grab two mallets no matter what almost.
  13. T

Some Lewis Nash and Louie Bellson Phrases

Hey guys! Here's two phrases by two of by heroes. If anybody would be interested in an actual breakdown of these kinds of things let me know, I'd be happy to dig deeper. Or if you like this short and sweet format let me know that too!
  14. T

Anybody else grow up with this website, and now performs regularly?

When I first joined beginning band in...2006? Maybe? I seemed to be on this forum every single day looking for some help. Now I'm a full time professional musician and I was just wondering if anybody else is in the same boat. It's really cool to me to see things come full circle like this
Back