Recent content by TomR

1. T

Drum Overhead Video

I like the Austrian Audio best when solo, but preferred the Neumann in the full mix.
  2. T

A financial band situation, just wondering what others think about this…

The OP should meet with the band to discuss the arrangement and decide if it should be renegotiated. I agree that it's not unreasonable for the PA owner to take a cut. And it doesn't matter if the PA is paid off. It's a lot of work to load in, set up, tear down, and load out. And there's the...
  3. T

Welp. Here we go again. (gigging and money)

I get it. Sometimes gigging starts to feel more like work with less enjoyment. And then we question if it's worth it for $XXX. On the other hand, if I go a while without a gig my attitude is different. Yesterday's gig (I was hired to fill in): Filled up SUV (~$72), no sleep in two days, loaded...
  4. T

Drum mics and mixer ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORTF_stereo_technique
  5. T

Drum mics and mixer ?

It depends on the frequency range of the condenser mics you're using, the stage, and venue, but you may find it helpful to high pass the condenser over the snare/HH around 120 Hz if it's picking up rumble. Same with the condenser near the floor tom, but try at a lower freq to avoid making the...
  6. T

Drum mics and mixer ?

Will one overhead work well enough in a minimal mic set up? Probably not. Try two overheads set up using the Glyn Johns mic technique. Add a kick mic and see how it sounds. If you need more snare, add a snare mic. If you like it, then great. If not, experiment using other techniques. I've...
  7. T

Your recommendation on backrest thrones?

While the Roc-n-Soc is good, the SoundSeat is my favorite.
  8. T

Drum mics and mixer ?

I also advocate for a simple setup. My preference is the Glyn Johns 3-mic technique. I've used it in my rehearsal space and live.
  9. T

Has "playing for the song" changed?

I don't think it's changed. As I mature musically, I find that if I simplify my playing the songs sound better. That's for most songs. Some songs might call for a syncopated funky groove or other chops. I think a strategically-placed funky beat or a seldom bass drum triplet, for example, can...
  10. T

Kick drum mic

Yes, that's what I do when the band runs our sound. I do it mostly for set up efficiency. Any sound difference between laying it on the pillow and putting it on a stand isn't huge IMO. When we have a sound tech the mic usually goes on a typical desktop style mic stand. Almost always one of...
  11. T

Need a better solution to lugging stands

I also use the Yamaha Crosstown aluminum stands (2 cymbal & snare). It was a noticeable weight reduction. I also use fairly lightweight singled braced HH and one other cymbal stand, though I'll probably replace the cymbal stand with clamp-on boom arm. I stopped using my Tama HH top model...
  12. T

Practicing to music

My preference is mic'ing the kit with two overhead and a bass drum mic into a mixer. I also have my laptop connected, which allows me to play music from my files, play CDs, or access Youtube. I use either Shure or Westone IEMs so I can play at normal effort without it being too loud for my...
  13. T

Differences that break bands up

In my experience—may not apply to you—partnerships/bands often end because some people simply cannot maintain civility and/or self control.
  14. T

As said previously, it's not the drums; it's the acoustics of the room (and a number of influencing factors). And to correlate what dboomer explained, how your drums sound from behind the kit is different than how they sound in other areas of the room. I've played kits that sounded thin from...
Back