Recent content by stevo

1. stevo

19th nervous breakdown/Stones

All of a sudden, I am locked on this tune. I think it's the 16th note ride on the cymbal. After all these years, now this song is stuck, and I am having a ball playing it.
  2. stevo

Learning

I have recently "hooked" up with a band, with the intent on adding a horn section. So the songs I am learning go beyond what I'm used to playing. Going from some pretty standard rock classics, to playing some stuff that is definitely "technically" a learning curve for me has been fantastic...
  3. stevo

Zoltan Chaney

Touring with Vince Neil. Has anyone seen this guy? I did not see his name pop up here on the search. So if this has already been a topic, my apologies. If not, he can be found on YT.
  4. stevo

use as a stage monitor?

I have 8 microphones used for my drums. I am thinking about getting a mixer, to pre mix my drums, to go through our band sound system. But I am wondering if the mixer can also be used as a monitor? Using headphones/ear bud, but wondering if the rest of the band can be patched into my mixer, and...
  5. stevo

This song is a challenge

I'm trying to learn this. Does anyone else find this challenging? This is Corrosion Of Conformity, Stone Breaker. What do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXaWwRjg4ks
  6. stevo

Playing exactly...

I am coming to terms with, when covering a song, and learning it exactly the way it was recorded, playing it that way live, may not be the best way. An example of this is, whenever I am learning a song, I go to You Tube, and look up the live versoin of that song, and usually find out that the...
  7. stevo

Just a comment

I have recently started messing around/practcing... open handed playing. What I have found, is that, it changes my center of balance on my throne, which I believe has been suspect. I play with double pedals, but not used in a metal/speed metal context. Mainly for fills, so, again, it changes my...
  8. stevo

Finally getting there

On November 16, while working with my table saw, I put two fingers, index & middle, into the blade. I cut all the way through the last knuckles on those fingers. After working through some pain while playing, I am finally "almost" there. I cannot use my index finger 100% yet, but have...
  9. stevo

When hobbies collide

My two loves... drumming #1, woodworking #2. One night after work a few weeks ago now, instead of practicing my paradiddles, I went to the garage to work on a jewelry box. As I'm ripping a small piece of wood on the table saw... long story short, I almost lost two fingers. I have pins sticking...
  10. stevo

Full arm motions

I see a lot of drummers use full arm motions, they're all over the place; it seems like such a mis-use of energy? I guess when I play, I try to use minimal motion. I'm not sure of the reason why someone would play that way, other than show? So, is there technique behind this?
  11. stevo

Never paid attention, but...

I am learning the Steve Miller Band song, the Joker (midnight toker), and there are two fills in the song that surprisingly have blown me away. For anyone who plays this song, exactly the way it was done on the studio version, do you know which fills I mean? First one right after the chorus...
  12. stevo

Cross Roads Guitar/Blues Festival

I was in attendence of this festival yesterday. WOW! This was really something great to see. There were so many fantastic performances; and musicians. Of course Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood put on quite a performance, along with Steve Gadd, playing the classics. I know this was more of a...
  13. stevo

Carry on my wayward son

Can someone help me with the "counting" part where it kind of goes into the 6/8 parts? I for what ever reasons, am comfortable playing it... I just seem to have a hard time "counting" that part. This is akward, in that, I normally don't have a hard time counting parts, but this one, I find...
  14. stevo

High hat technique

Looking to hear how you all have learned to place your HH in relation to your slave pedals/double pedals, and relating to balance, and how you sit behind your kit. I am struggling with my ability to accent on the opent hh's. And I think it is in how my balance/where I sit, and placement. Thanks.
  15. stevo

Paice VS Bonham

I am not bashing Bonham here by any stretch, just being objective. Does anyone here feel that Ian Paice was technically better than Bonham?
Back