Recent content by Soulfinger

1. S

HH Clutch Treads Rubbing On Cymbal

This. I did that on the Yamaha clutch I use once a week in our rehearsal room, and the tape holds up perfectly. For the Yamaha stand I use every day I invested in a new non-threaded clutch - the Sonor 200 series is dirt cheap, is 6 mm like the Yamaha rod and works like a charm. If you are OCD...
  2. S

Cymbal identification

No. Probably made in China.
  3. S

Why are Vater sticks cheaper???

In reality, you can buy pairs that are a whopping 20 grams apart. I have VF 85As ranging from 89g to 109g a pair. The pairs themselves are perfectly matched but I found the overal difference in weight astonishing. These days I play Vater 7A Manhattan sticks. Mine range from 92g to 106g a pair...
  4. S

Want your input on steel snare drums.....

I can vouch for the cheap Pearl Sensitone. Great drum, very sensitive indeed, great sound. Can´t go wrong for 130 bucks new. The Ludwig Supralite is very nice as well. Gretsch Brooklyn COS - killer drum!
  5. S

Cymbal Set?

Since nobody mentioned them - if you buy new, the best value for money on the market right now IMHO are the Istanbul Agop Xist cymbals.
  6. S

Stratus - bass player's nightmare?

That is a very good question! I play bass as well, and that tune is really taxing to play. You need a lot of stamina and concentration to pull off the countless repetitions. Nothing more embarrassing than butchering a simple three-note-lick! :)
  7. S

Who actually bought this?

I´m actually old enough to remember that ad. And to remember thinking: "You can keep that hideous contraption all to yourself. And your outfit. And especially your band." Actually, this ad could very well be responsible for me never ever having GAS for anything Ludwig.
  8. S

What are considered "cheap" cymbals?

It´s actually B15. You can see Sigs have a more yellowish tint than the Zildjian S.
  9. S

Dannie Richmond ,,A Good Drummer,, !!

Great musician! One of the unsung heroes. Yep, he originally played sax, took up drums at age 20 and was recruited by Mingus after playing drums for only half a year. Saw him live with his quintet in the early 80s, very inspiring. I felt he had a very personal sound - somehow dry and woody...
  10. S

HHX Complex

These are warm and lush sounding cymbals. If the music leaves enough space, they will work wonderfully. If you need to cut through loud guitars or keyboards there are better options. Like - R.E.M.: yes. Muse: probably. Slayer: No. :)
  11. S

HHX Complex

The new logo is terrible. 🤣 With that out of the way, I think these are fantastic cymbals. Dark, warm, full bodied, very responsive even at low volumes, just a very pleasant, rich and indeed "complex" sound. Lots of colours to be drawn out of these instruments. I had a set of Legacys and while...
  12. S

Pearl drums

That´s it in a nutshell. My one and only kit is a Midtown - smashing sound and quality for the price. And I have never played a bad Pearl snare (I currently have four, not counting the Midtown).
  13. S

Drummer whose career you envy and would switch places with

Envy is not part of my repertoire, and I´m very happy with my life so far but I´d probably go for Roy Haynes. Played with all the legends from Charlie Parker to Pat Metheny, is still going strong at 95 and has a seriously cool grandkid (Marcus Gilmore). I certainly could live with that! On...
  14. S

Broken or just handicraft?

While yours is a more extreme example, hand hammered cymbals often are a bit bent out of shape. I guess a cymbalsmith has to decide whether to stop hammering when a cymbal sounds great or to go on hammering it into a perfect shape and risk losing that magic sound. Certainly nothing to worry...
  15. S

Zildjian K Light Pack

The K Lights are lovely, but if you want crisp and defined, they have their limitations. In that case I´d recommend checking out the Sabian HHX Complex Performance set. I´ve had the K Light 15" Hats and 22" Ride and now own the HHX - the Sabians are dark and warm as well, but have more tonal...