Recent content by SmoothOperator

1. S

whats your second instrument? (If you have one.)

More and more synth and turntables. I just figured out how to build cheap but high-quality portable synths out of Raspberry Pi's. Synths are so expensive otherwise.
  2. S

Silent stage age: do your drums matter anymore?

Reminds me of the old Zepplin and Pink Floyd videos, mostly just the drummers.
  3. S

Here’s a funny thing about teaching...

It's funny these days, I've bought lesson books (in soccer) basically a list of YouTube topics to search. There are plenty of videos, just putting it together and prioritizing it is a challenge. Though, I agree with the sentiment. The other day, my sister was like you could be a mentor, and I...
  4. S

Yard/garage sales

I'm too cheap, I wait until people set it out by the curb.
  5. S

Rivets in top high hat?

My hats are too shimmery as it is.
  6. S

Would you cancel your sub?

Wouldn't hurt to call and find out if they're still up for it.
  7. S

Liquid Courage for "Better" Playing?

I'm lucky I couldn't afford much alcohol when I was younger. Now I almost never drink alcohol not a drop. Whiskey makes an excellent fajita marinade though. The Athlete series of IPAs is awesome. They reverse engineered the beer brewing process to not produce alcohol. I have one of those...
  8. S

Anyone have private drum teaching business advice?

Its possibly the least professional thing ever. I recently was sitting at the pool waiting for my daughter, just when a bunch of the teachers and coaches had a gab session about how much they hate kids. I totally reported it to the pool manager. They were on my dump list anyway.
  9. S

which 3 percussion you would find useful to have as part of your drums?

beijing opera gongs and Chinese small clash cymbals work surprisingly well on a drum set. The low gong sounds best with a heavier stick if you really want the "dragon breath" tone though.
  10. S

Anyone else have REALLY little kids?

My son is in that age group. A little late to potty train. He also drooled for a long time, just developing in other ways. He can do +5yo puzzles, doesn't want to have to stop. My wife's approach was nigh on abusive, though there was something to get him to sit on the toilet. IMO he just...
  11. S

Feng Shui in Drumming?

It's funny because I just readjusted the artwork in my garage spring cleaning. I like to collect picture frames to use later when I take photos, so I hang the frames in my garage until I need them. Kind of cool to open the garage door and see a bunch of art.
  12. S

I think drumming will more resemble DJing in the future. They already are often times launching the backing tracks. It's pretty consistent with the ethos of drummers, why have a bass drum player, when I can use a pedal...
  13. S

That was consistent with the Grateful Dead philosophy, give the music away with tapes and tapers free advertising, make money on people who wanted to be close to the band.
  14. S

'Air drums' ... do they work?

It looks like a brilliant idea really, though IMO simply reproducing drum sounds seems like just the beginning. In the long run, it would suffer from some of the problems that theremins do, hard to calibrate and not as precise as you might expect, basically just waving hands in the air.
  15. S

Feng Shui in Drumming?

Yeah, a mirror makes a big difference so you can see yourself playing.
Back