Recent content by Smoke

1. S

Is this good for the price?

Higher end (and pro) cymbals are typically cast bronze (20 % zinc/80 % copper, sometimes called B20), lathed to shape and hammered to give them their sound. B8 cymbals are only 8 % zinc, rolled and pressed to shape and then hammered. That doesn't mean they sound terrible compared to B20 cast...
  2. S

What are you listening to right now?

Yeesh! I'm not sure if you just made my day or ruined it. I pretty much agree with @Al Strange. Whatever the case, thanks! o_O
  3. S

how is this sound made

"You've got two empty halves of coconut and you're bangin' 'em together." I wonder how they got there?!?
  4. S

How Do You Store Unused Cymbals?

What? Who's got unused cymbals?!? ;) How about unused cymbal? I've got one unused 10 inch splash that sounds so terrible I'd be embarrassed to give it away. It hides in my ancient Paiste cymbal bag.
  5. S

whats your second instrument? (If you have one.)

Vocals and in tribute to @Midnight Zephyr, Autoharp!
  6. S

I was dreaming this morning and Every Little Thing She Does is Magic (Police) was playing in my dream. The bass is just magical for me. But the tone of the dream changed a bit and brain radio switched to The Atlanta Rhythm Section playing She Knows All My Tricks. Maybe today is a "bass...
  7. S

Home vs gig

I haven't gigged since retiring and moving up north. Don't really feel a need to seek out other musicians. Not sure why...
  8. S

I switched the channel from the Eagles to Linda Ronstadt this morning before getting out of bed. Playing on brain radio is Linda Ronstadt's version of Little Feat's Willin'. What a way to start the day!
  9. S

A little survey about rudiments... it takes only 5 mins!

You got it! I'm not much help, but sometimes even that helps. Best of luck!
  10. S

Bad products that eventually caught on

I used to rely heavily on reviews. Not so much anymore. It seems to me that most product "reviews" are AI generated and are cross-posted between most of the retailers. Almost seems like the reviews "travel" across the interwebs with the item being posted for sale. I've seen too many...
  11. S

Pretty Maids All in a Row (Eagles) has been stuck in my head for the last few days. Woke up to Joe Walsh's vocals today. Nice. Kind'a makes me cry...
  12. S

The guy nobody wants to jam with

Being "glued together at the hip" for 24/7/365 is tough - even for a married couple. It doesn't take long before you have nothing to talk about other than those thing that bother you about the other person glued on your hip. I know, as I've spent more 24/7 time with some soldiers than I have...
  13. S

The guy nobody wants to jam with

Your previous life has already proved that you can be a team player and team builder, so I'm not surprised that you can survive in a band situation. As you mentioned, it's acceptable - almost mandatory - that one "draws a line in the sand" concerning one's personal convictions. At my age, I no...
  14. S

On brain radio of course: Steely Dan's Dirty Work. It was playing while I finished up the last bits of my morning dream. Which is kind'a normal. Yes, I mostly remember my dreams and many are lucid; and yes, brain radio plays while I'm asleep. Lucky man!
  15. S

Karl Wallinger RIP

Thanks, Chris, for that glimpse into Karl's and your time together. I read every word - many twice. While Karl is no longer with us bodily, he lives on in your memory and now in ours. I hope these memories bring you solace in the coming days. Heartfelt condolences from Michigan, USA.
Back