Recent content by skreg

1. skreg

Seeking Rare Colaiuta Album

I've been hunting high and low for "Images" by Bill Meyers and I can't find a copy of it anywhere. Some of the tracks are on YouTube but I'd really like to have the whole thing. It's really a masterpiece, and it features an unbelieveable classic west-coast all-star lineup. From the rare album...
  2. skreg

2014 Trick Drums

I'm wondering if anybody has any info about the new series Trick has posted on their website for release in 2014. http://store.trickdrums.com/drums-kits I've never played any Trick drums, but I know their hardware is the best in the industry. I'm looking forward to what they come up with. I'm...
  3. skreg

"Get Lucky" - John JR Robinson with Daft Punk

I heard this and immediately ordered his DVD. Honestly, I haven't heard a groove like this since the legendary recordings of Jeff Porcoro and Carlos Vega. The production is also exceptional. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NV6Rdv1a3I It's really overwhelming for me to even listen to it, I...
  4. skreg

Hang Drums - Newb Questions

I have decided that I want to start playing hang drums. However, I know nothing about the materials, manufacturing, companies, etc. I'm interested in buying professional quality gear, but I don't know where to start with these instruments. Is there a "Hang Drum FAQ" or similar resource that I...
  5. skreg

Snare Wires for Ludwig Supraphonic or Acrolite

I recently purchased a Ludwig Acrolite (a Supraphonic without the chrome) and I need to replace the snare wires. Has anybody experimented with different kinds? Any advice? -sheldon
  6. skreg

Just Bought a Ludwig Classic Maple - Need Snare

I just picked up my first professional quality kit, a Ludwig Classic Maple. 10, 12, 14, 16 toms and a 20 inch kick. Obviously, I am very excited - pics soon to come. It's a gold sparkle wrap, an instrument my instructor ordered last year. I'm wondering if anybody has thoughts on a snare that...
  7. skreg

Music Notation Software

Any good open source options? I'm trying MuseScore right now, but am open to suggestions. -sheldon
  8. skreg

Drummerworld TurnTable?

Does anybody want to nerd out with me on TurnTable? We can listen to music and talk about our favorite drummers. It should actually be a lot of fun. http://turntable.fm/drummerworld -sheldon
  9. skreg

Comparing Systems for Modern Advanced Coordination

Hi everybody, I'm preparing for another round of woodshedding and am again contemplating what to dive into. I'm very happy with all of my coordination and phrasing for rock, pop, jazz, etc. At this point, I'm really just bringing things uptempo and refining my vocabulary within those styles...
  10. skreg

16th Note Triplet Accent Patterns

Hi everybody, thanks in advance for the help. I'm working on sustaining momentum in uptempo fills. I find that 16th note triplets are used quite frequently in this context, most often when the music has a swing. I'm getting better at "hearing" the accents and can usually nail things if I keep...
  11. skreg

Anybody Using Kompoz.com?

Hi everybody, I just signed up for Kompoz.com. Just wondering if anybody else I know here is using it. It looks like some of the projects are turning out pretty good, and I think it will be a good way for me to get some recording experience. -sheldon
  12. skreg

Gary Novak DVD's and Albums?

Hi everybody, Does anybody know of any DVDs with concert footage of Gary Novak? I find myself getting more and more involved with his playing. I'm really working to understand his phrasing, technique, and style. Also, any favorite albums would be great. Thanks!
  13. skreg

Interview with Ken Florentino of MinusDrums.com

Hi everybody, I recently finished an interview with Ken Florentino, who manages a web site where you can purchase drumless backing tracks. The site has free samples and over 600 tracks available for purchase. The library is growing and Ken is hoping to soon hit 1000 tracks! The site started...
  14. skreg

Carlos Vega

Are there any fellow Carlos Vega fans hanging around? I really love his groove and the simplicity of his approach. Two words come to mind: ROCK SOLID. Some of my favorite tracks include: "Amaretto" from "Banded Together" by Lee Ritenour "Brewy's Bag" from "Music from Riding Bean" by David...
  15. skreg

How to Practice The New Breed

Great to be back on the Drummerworld forum. It's been awhile as over the last year and a half I cut out my practice routines to focus on my athletic life. Now I'm training in Olympic style weightlifting and also making time to practice every day. It took awhile to get everything set up...
Back