Recent content by rwp42

1. R

Getting to know the four piece drum set

I have historically preferred a 2-up/1-down five-piece for the tom configuration. But this year I am playing a 4-piece as I started studying jazz. What that has taught me is that I prefer the cymbal placement allowed by a four-piece and only miss the second rack tom when playing rock/pop/blues.
  2. R

Multi-tom cases

My main kit is 1 up/1 down, so I bought a Beato Pro 1 three-drum combo case and a couple extra 1" dividers. I can fit my 12 and 14 toms plus any snare up to 8" deep, or 10/12/14 toms if I decide to use that config (with snare in separate bag). Love the versatility, quality, and service!
  3. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

Nothing wrong with classic finishes, or for wanting something that looks and sounds great! Of all the Sonor Vintage series finishes, the Calif Blue is the only one I personally love -- it is even better in person. Aesthetics are a personal thing.
  4. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

Thanks! Took me a while to put together but totally worth it. :)
  5. R

Expensive Bop Kit Poll

I prefer the Sonor Vintage series to the SQ2 for jazz/bop. They offer an 18" bass drum config, though I have the 20" for all-around versatility.
  6. R

Choose between 14x5.5 and 14x6.5

My main (and only) snare at the moment is a Sonor Benny Greb beech signature snare 2.0 -- 13" x 5.75", which has been amazingly versatile for me. And I am looking at adding a 14x6.5 metal snare (black beauty?) as a nice complement.
  7. R

DW Ultralight cymbal stand weight capabilities

I am trying to decide between the DW 6000 series flat-base straight cymbal stands (DWCP6710), which have a somewhat wider base and memory locks, and the ultralight version (DWCP6710UL) with no memory locks. Anyone know if there is much of a weight difference between them or other pros/cons?
  8. R

Drum mat/rug

I bought the Armor Ahead standard (78x62), which was a bit pricey, and loved it. But realized that in my normal 1-up/1-down config, their 'electronic drum mat' (55x48) was even better and a lot more affordable. It fits *inside* my hardware bag with my hardware.
  9. R

Show Off your SONOR DRUMS.

So true -- I am still experimenting myself!
  10. R

Hardware Bundle Recommendation

For my AQ2 Bop kit, I bought the Sonor 4000-series bundle from Thomann (shipped to US) -- was about $500 and I am very happy with the quality of the hardware.
  11. R

I have the Remo Ambassador Vintage Coated batter and Remo Hazy Snare-side reso.
  12. R

I agree -- I have the 13" and the 14" -- both are great, but I prefer the 13.
  13. R

hi hats for brushes

Not the most economical option, but I have a fairly light set of K Constantinople 14" hats that fit the bill beautifully. New Beats might also be a good option...
  14. R

What's your latest purchase?

12" rack tom and 14" floor tom. 20" bass drum. The 320 configuration.
  15. R

What's your latest purchase?

Thanks! The finish is hard to get right now (I think last year's?), so was so glad to find it at a great price. The drums are just magnificent to play!
Back