Recent content by rhumbagirl

1. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

According to the TuneBot tuning guide, the ratio of lug frequency to fundamental is in the range 1.6 to 1.9 "depending on the specific drum".
  2. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

Why is the fundamental missing for the snare and toms? Are we supposed to guess these??
  3. rhumbagirl

I'd like to hear about your accomplishments and/or things you are proud of

I'm working with what the scientists have. And they have stem cells. As for the meteorite, I'm certain we'll have perfected a defense against those in the next 50-100 yrs, either attaching a rover to one and using jet propulsion to scoot it off coarse, or blowing it up entirely with a nuclear...
  4. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

I think they sound in tune, to my ears at least. I think it would help to state for others that you're going for a higher pitched jazz tone here.
  5. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

That's audacious Auspicious! What kind of head do you have on the snare??
  6. rhumbagirl

I would hate to die right before they figure out aging reversal. Some stem-cell therapies are starting to look promising, eg AgeX's ‘Method of Generating Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells’. Who knows, maybe I'll strike it rich one day and can afford my own surrogate for replacement parts (see the...
  7. rhumbagirl

I want to live to 94 (year 2060). That's based on how my parents currently look in their 80s, and the fact that my grandfather, who grew up in the Great Depression and worked on cars his whole life, lived to be 95. Will the last ten years be the longest though?
  8. rhumbagirl

Stick Weights and Consistency

Force = mass * acceleration. Drummers can tell once they start playing on a surface with the sticks. The "Force" is the force felt by the hand when reversing the upstroke to a downstroke (negative acceleration followed by positive acceleration), or stopping an upstroke for a ghost note...
  9. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

So what were the final fundamentals and resonance you ended up with, Auspicious?
  10. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

I ran the calculator for my 10" tom and was surprised to see different lug frequencies recommended than those I calculated using the lug constants in my post above. Additionally, the calculator had four resonance choices, made with a slider tool. I made some calculations to come up with the...
  11. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

Well that's helpful. After googling it I found the notes in that melody: https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/february-2015-get-the-sound-you-want-from-your-drums-part-2-drumset-tuning/ That link also has a link to a tune-bot calculator app for iphone or android, called "Drum Tuning...
  12. rhumbagirl

Mixer for practice

The Zoom H4N has the internal mics setup already in XY fashion, so it would be mounted on a mic stand about your head, and then if you wanted to use the external XLR connections for two more mics (eg snare and kick) you could do that. I have the H5, but never got around to trying this, so I...
  13. rhumbagirl

Drum teacher tells me to ignore metronome for now

You didn't mention how experienced your adult student was prior to starting lessons with you. The OP stated he or she was a complete newbie who first started lessons in January of this year. When I wanted to take drumset lessons at age 13, I was steered toward pad lessons for several months...
  14. rhumbagirl

Some live footage of me over the weekend

I like the solid kick feel in your playing Justin! Consistent placement and dynamics made the song IMHO.
  15. rhumbagirl

Tune-Bot your method

I created a spreadsheet to keep track of my tunings, with a separate tab for each kit I have: The first two rows have global variables for the lug constant, based on desired resonance: low, med, or high (I think these hold for ANY diameter drum): Low - Batter : 1.2 * Fundamental - Reso : 2.3...