Recent content by Jonathan Curtis

1. Jonathan Curtis

I don't know how to do rolls and use different grips

Snare Drum Technique playlist to the rescue! The others are right, getting a qualified teacher is the fastest way to improve. Technique is all about understanding, and that is very difficult to learn alone.
  2. Jonathan Curtis

Please let me know triplet songs of only snare

How about these? Both of these are taken from this book. Enjoy!
  3. Jonathan Curtis

any tricks to be counting odd time signatures?

Absolute agreed. While I am alwas happy to see inquisitve questions, and to give my humble answers, you seem to fire off a string of random questions at once without much coherence or follow-up. A dedicated drum teacher and a comprehensive musical education would solve all of these issues for...
  4. Jonathan Curtis

That would equate to 5, and so I'm not sure how that would be an easier way to get to 17. Besides, 4 would be reduced to two groups of 2, as analysis is concerned with fundamental principles. 17/8 has an 8 on the bottom, which means it is fundamentally concerned with groups of 8 notes. The sole...
  5. Jonathan Curtis

I take your point. However, I explicitly avoid the use of "compound" because it is a confusing and, in my opinion, redundant term. I use the term "non-prime" because it is an easy way to conceptualise time signature that must include both 2s and 3s. In your example, 4/8 is such an odd time...
  6. Jonathan Curtis

All time signatures are created out of groups of 2s or 3s, quarter notes (groups of 2 8th notes) or dotted quarter notes (groups of 3 8th notes). Any time signature with a 4 on the bottom - 3/4, 4/4, 5/4 etc. - is just that many groups of 2: 3/4 is three groups of 2, 4/4 is four groups of 2...
  7. Jonathan Curtis

did anyone regret learning to read drum tabs?

As @Alex Sanguinetti said, drum tabs are not notation, and are not useful in the professional sphere. 100% of my reading-based jobs have been with traditional notation, and it is what I use for all my composition and teaching exclusively.
  8. Jonathan Curtis

triplets are three notes per beat with equal distance from each other...but what about 5 notes

Here you go, everything you need to know about tuplets: You say they’re aren’t common; in my line of work, which is focused on solo snare drum repertoire, they are very common, as are all tuplets. It’s a matter of context.
  9. Jonathan Curtis

Your perception of YouTube/IG/TikTok drummers

I suppose it depends on your definition of "YouTube Drummer". I have a YouTube channel with about 10k subscribers. Does that make me a "YouTube Drummer", or just a drummer with some YouTube content? For me, and the nature of my business, YouTube is probably my most effective promotional tool. I...
  10. Jonathan Curtis

Interesting quote from Dave Elitch regarding rudiments

I wrote many draft answers to this thread, and have been following it for a while. Ultimately, I realised I had already produced a video that says everything I want to say about rudiments and their role in modern drumming. I don’t know who Dave Elitch is, but for those who are interested in...
  11. Jonathan Curtis

Interesting quote from Dave Elitch regarding rudiments

Come on now Chris, that's far too reasonable an approach for an internet discussion!
  12. Jonathan Curtis

Push Pull/Single hand 16ths help

Yes, the videos go into all of those, including ways to practice, repertoire advice for technical development, and more.
  13. Jonathan Curtis

Push Pull/Single hand 16ths help

There’s a whole playlist here dedicated to snare drum technique. It goes really in-depth. I’d suggest you begin with the videos that address the fulcrum, fingers, and single and double stroke technique: Snare Drum Technique https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIBi-86_El8DQ9Dt8V85qKaRtqyD8WzW
Back