Recent content by jeffwj

1. jeffwj

Accents (paradiddle)

Edit: In the exercise I posted above, the motions within the parentheses for letter A should be (for the last three 8th notes) t , t , u I re-uploaded the exercise with the corrections. Jeff
  2. jeffwj

Best Method Book for Beginners?

Since the thread was revisited yet again, I can add a few more recommendations. Josh Gottry’s resources https://gottrypercussion.com/percussion-resources/ Fresh Approach to Snare Drum by Mark Wessels...
  3. jeffwj

Accents. Is it the right technique?

This is the exact terminology that I use with my students. As Todd said, the fingers can’t be too floppy - just like you wouldn’t want floppy shock absorbers on your car. Jeff
  4. jeffwj

Hi Todd, I often address that with students who started drumming with a different (lift up and throw down) technique. While transitioning to this technique, they will often have that remnant of the old technique that stays with them for a while. They will start with the sticks at the desired...
  5. jeffwj

Very well said. I often say that the stick height will produce the dynamic that is required. The velocity in which the stick is thrown will fine tune the dynamic. I agree again! One can get very creative with this. For example, I used to play soft Basie-style shout choruses on the hi-hat...
  6. jeffwj

Learning Dynamics

Great advice from Cornelius, as always. You should experiment with two stick heights (two dynamic levels). Parts of my book were inspired by the writing style of Garwood Whaley. In his intermediate to advanced books, he would often write abrupt dynamic changes. I wrote a few examples based...
  7. jeffwj

Accents (paradiddle)

It's not re-posted. I wrote it specifically in response to the OP's question. I think you’re joking... If you're not, it’s ok. I gave myself permission to post it. I promise I won’t take legal action against myself - haha. Edit - It is not taken verbatim from my book. It is an adaptation of...
  8. jeffwj

Accents (paradiddle)

Great advice from Push-Pull-Stroke about taking it slow. Also, Arne is correct about using the motions. His advice about experimenting with simple, hand to hand accented rhythms is great as well. My book, The Level System, addresses these motions in detail. However, I want everyone here to...
  9. jeffwj

Error Alert

Hi planoranger, As I mentioned in my PM reply, I too thought it was the same person until I discovered the articles about the other Alan Abel (the prankster). Both were great drummers (which makes it easier to confuse the two), but the one we are discussing now dedicated his career to...
  10. jeffwj

Minimum age for starting drum lessons

For very young students (as referenced in the original post), the community music classes make sense. Those classes are meant to expose them to music in general. It allows them to build an interest in music that may lead to one on one lessons later. I have had great success with teaching 5...
  11. jeffwj

How to do a buzz roll without tension?

I wrote an article series for Modern Drummer Magazine (3 articles - closed roll, double stroke roll, and single stroke roll). It seems like they left the closed roll article up as promo material. The closed roll concept is the one I Iearned while studying with Joe Morello. It is similar to to...
  12. jeffwj

Your book collection

Good to see this thread revived. Since I last replied, I have probably added dozens of books to my collection. Of course I buy some, but I am sent ones on a regular basis to review for the Percussive Notes Journal. The prized possession of my collection is one of the first copies of Accents...
  13. jeffwj

Recommend some drummers that are not yet on drummerworld

I agree. She made quite an impression at this year’s PASIC, at both her clinic and the after hours jam session. Jeff
  14. jeffwj

Looking for Tommy Lee past kits

Scroll down to the end of the article and you’ll see “Drum Tech Clyde Duncan On Tommy’s Setup.” https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/september-1986-tommy-lee/ Jeff
  15. jeffwj

My testament to nail polish on stick tips

Does the epoxy wood hardener work better than the nail polish? Thanks, Jeff