Recent content by jdavis

1. J

Ludwig 14x5 black beauty or dw 14x5.5 NOB collectors?

I've had the BB, BOB, DW, Sensitone and a few other nickel-over-brass drums in the same room with the same heads and tuned roughly the same. I thought the BB had the edge with the best tone of the lot.
  2. J

Diplomats for resonant heads?

I wouldn't call it a shortened resonance, but that's just me. I love Diplomats on bottoms!
  3. J

Pork Pie Brass Patina 13x7 : Review

Great video! And such a good dad :)
  4. J

Hugh Padgham x Toontrack

That's awesome!
  5. J

Anyone recommend a decent drum throne brand?

Pork Pie makes a good throne. Good luck!
  6. J

Giant Beats?

The 20" multi is one of my favorites. (y)
  7. J

Ludwig Black Beauty

Stock Ludwig wires for me. (y)
  8. J

The 24" Paiste Masters Thin Ride demo minute!

Sounds nice. (y)
  9. J

20" vs 22" bass drum - Which is more versatile?

Maybe it's just me but I've never really got on with 22" drums. I've owned plenty of 'em but usually gravitate to a 24-26" drum. If I'm going smaller than that, the 20" just feels better to me. Isn't that weird?
  10. J

20" vs 22" bass drum - Which is more versatile?

I'd happily take a 20" over a 22" any day of the week. 14" depth, of course. (y)
  11. J

Evans hydraulics vs Remo pinstripes

I haven't played hydraulics in years, but they're very different to a pinstripe. If you want the thud and short sustain, give a hydraulic a try. You might like it. I always thought the red ones sounded good, FWIW. Good luck!
  12. J

Drum mics and mixer ?

For rehearsing, I usually just mic up the kick. Anything else, I usually subscribe to the idea that 'less-is-more,' but if you're playing somewhere with an engineer on hand, let them worry about it. (y)
  13. J

If you could just have one cymbal and hi-hats?

Yup. I've lusted for one for many years but never pulled the trigger. I got close but found a set of Grand Master cymbals on closeout that were in the same ballpark so I took advantage of that deal instead. One of these days, though. ;)
  14. J

If you could just have one cymbal and hi-hats?

Aw, man. That's one of my favorite rides of all time. (y)
  15. J

Hi Hats for versatility?

I don't think you could go wrong with either, so why not get both? Maybe buy the ones you can get a better deal on now and pick up the others down the line? FWIW, I'm a Paiste guy, but I'll never part with my New Beats. And, more is better when it comes to cymbals, IMO. Good luck! (y)