Recent content by Hollywood Jim

1. Hollywood Jim

Zildjian is "Bringing Back" something on April 9, 2024

I understand what you are saying. In a live playing situation it sounds normal to crash and hit something at the same time. But when you are trying to show me what a cymbal sounds like, you need to also crash the cymbal all by itself !!!! .
  2. Hollywood Jim

And why are most drummer's cymbal crash hand unseperably connected to their foot on the bass drum pedal. Always crashing the cymbal and hitting the bass drum at the same time. Scheese............ .
  3. Hollywood Jim

The worst cymbal Zildjian ever made...

I think you and the video mean to say, "The worst expensive Zildjian cymbal ever made. .
  4. Hollywood Jim

Poll: What most affects a snare's sound?

Give me 10 snare drums all different sizes and different materials; using heads and tuning I can make them all sound very much the same. Especially in a live band setting. .
  5. Hollywood Jim

drummers who can't read music notation

YES ! This is exactly how I use my ability to read drum charts. I learned to read drum notation 65 years ago. And I have very rarely used this ability. Curently I am very bad at sight reading. But I do use it to create my own cheat sheets while I am learning new songs. .
  6. Hollywood Jim

Finally trying a DynaSonic!

I had one and I loved the sound of it. But it did not sound any better than my 1926 Ludwig Super. And since it was more work to keep it sounding good, I sold it. .
  7. Hollywood Jim

Pics with drummers on the Top 500 list?

Here is the only one I have: However my Father met someone you all might know: .
  8. Hollywood Jim

I like the sound of the 17" crash ! .
  9. Hollywood Jim

They have made the worlds largest cymbal. They will fling in into space and bring back the Eclipse. (Of course there will be a tiny ray of light from the hole in the middle.) .
  10. Hollywood Jim

15" Hats?

18" Hi Hats ! %$*# ?!?!!? I don't think my Iron Corbra Hi Hat stand will even lift a 17". I'm thinking the spring is too weak. .
  11. Hollywood Jim

15" Hats?

I played several kinds of 14" hi hats for the last 65 years. A couple of months ago I started playing 15" hi hats. I love the 15" ! I wish I had known how great 15" hi hats sounded a long time ago. When I play the 15" hats closed they sound louder and they cut through the band better than the...
  12. Hollywood Jim

Metal vs Wood - these Snares Sound the Same - Video by Sounds Like A Drum

I thought he made some very good points in the video. I agree with most everything that was said. However, I have one thing to add. Some snare drums, toms and bass drums can be set up to sound louder than other drums in a live band setting. My new Yamaha oak drums can be set up to be louder...
  13. Hollywood Jim

Radon Mitigation?

Yeah, Radon is scary stuff. I think I'd move to a new place. .
  14. Hollywood Jim

Radon Mitigation?

Radon Mitigation. Great name for a band........................ .
  15. Hollywood Jim

The Fear Of Drum Solos

Yes! And even if your drums are not tuned to mimic the song notes you can still mimic the rhythm of the melody. Like this: .
Back