Recent content by Hewitt2

1. Hewitt2

Lars Ulrich

How dare a drummer not be formally trained or interested in technique? Off to the gulag he goes! Seriously though, Phil Collins, whether he was “interested” in it or not, was one of the most technically proficient rock drummers of the 1970s. Go ahead and play along to his Brand-X stuff or...
  2. Hewitt2

CM Jones dumped Pearl for Sonor!!!

I’m hoping that shepherd’s pie in those knickers!
  3. Hewitt2

Whatcha Reading Right Now?

It certainly is that. And to think that was Bronte’s first and only novel is just mind-blowing to me. Heathcliff has to be one of the most enigmatic and fascinating characters of 19th century English literature.
  4. Hewitt2

Phil Collins

Phil has suffered from a litany of health issues the past 15-years, and arthritis is one of the very few that hasn't impacted his drumming. Although it technically all started going downhill for him during the 2007 Genesis reunion tour (injured a vertebrae at the top of his neck), the...
  5. Hewitt2

Vinnie Colaiuta

This is my favourite sight reading anecdote of Vinnie’s. It involves Frank Zappa, a crazy time signature, sushi and eyeglasses. Told by the one and only Steve Vai… https://www.musicradar.com/news/steve-vai-vinnie-colaiuta-sight-reading-frank-zappa-sushi
  6. Hewitt2

Whatcha Reading Right Now?

Well it’s an eighteenth century multi-volume opus, so you have to manage your expectations. All writing of that era can qualify as stilted. That being said, the focus on imagery and characterization make this one of the very best examples of history that qualifies as literature. It’s eminently...
  7. Hewitt2

Van Halen, Jump (in pain).

I have no idea who David Icke is..... Do I want to know who David Icke is?
  8. Hewitt2

Van Halen, Jump (in pain).

Well done - I was wondering how you were going to approach the tricky middle section with the guitar solo. I love how you made it your own but retained the displacement feel.
  9. Hewitt2

Brad Wilk left Gretsch for Ludwig

I just want to be held.
  10. Hewitt2

Accents and Rebounds

The ending of the reading section at the bottom of each exercise in Syncopation does that too. I imagine it’s for the same reason but not sure why.
  11. Hewitt2

Latest Purchase...Non-percussion

Salt water jets do a body good
  12. Hewitt2

Album Multiple Formats Grumble

If you download the free Discogs app you can find nearby record stores by punching in your zip code. The app also helps you to learn about new/upcoming/popular releases and buy directly from an international selection of vendors if you are so inclined.
  13. Hewitt2

Will Calhoun

I was always blown away by the fact he started drums at like age 17, then went to Berklee and ultimately recorded Vivid all within a few years. His fusion of funk and metal on Vivid was years ahead of its time, and anticipated everything that would be copied (poorly) in the nu metal genre...
  14. Hewitt2

Switching Back To Traditional Grip

Interesting perspective I’d rather play to the much more sizeable 99% who have no idea about drums but just want the music to feel good. That’s my barometer. And drummers are music fans too and incredibly supportive, in my experience. Never had one standing off to the side of the stage with...
Back